Home

Madden 09 is my favorite version...Is that possible??

This is a discussion on Madden 09 is my favorite version...Is that possible?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden 09 is my favorite version...Is that possible??

Lol, Madden 09 has NO defense whatsoever...

Especially man coverage, which was the worst of any football game I have ever played. When I played online I had to run zone literally 95% of the time. Champ Bailey (best CB at the time) would routinely get beaten by 80 rated WR's.

And the RB juke stick was ridiculously overpowered - when tackled you could flick the right-stick forward and gain 2 extra yards 90% of the time.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

actually my favorite madden game for its time...last great franchise mode
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like madden 09 (ps3) my only beef what the speed was messed up line men catch CB's from behind.

I hated madden 08 on ps3 but loved it on ps2 lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 1

After some more thorough playing, I DO see why this game has gotten beaten up so bad by many...but I also see some things the game had also done better than any of the other games to date in the series as well. I guess thats why it brings up alot of heated discussion.

I definitely can see how many are frustrated with some of the scripted feeling play of the game. After several games, I started feeling that the distinctions between players and their ratings wasnt as pronounced or as identifiable as they should be and rather the gameplay seemed to unfold in a sorted repeated and predictable way almost as if the game designers just designed counter formulas for the cpu to follow for each situation.

Another thing that I noticed is it is brutally difficult to run the ball even on PRO settings. Almost as if there is somewhat of a defensive pursuit to offensive penetration imbalance in the game. Defenders seem to swarm and track to effectively onto ball carriers leaving almost no room for variety and upfield penetration.

However, on the flip side, I still think the way in which the player models were designed and animated is so well crafted and polished more than any of the versions. Players really have a sense of weight and transfer of momentum. Even if the game doesnt employ physics, the sense of physics seems real aside from a few wrong directional upending flips on wr to cb mid air collisions. However, the variety and the way EA gave these figures a feeling of life was done exceptionally well. LBs will reach , tug and wrap their arms independently around a players legs or shoulders to bring them down. WR's will realistically stretch up in the air to leap for balls or dive and roll for passes down low. After play reactions will realistically have players taunting their opponent or playing to the crowd.

Sound effects of players grunting and shoulder pads popping was spot on and realistical with some nice mixtures of deep thuds without sounding exaggerated or like the crashy sounds of some of the more recent versions. All in all, the game has a great look and feel aside from the scriptedness and lack of ratings influencing the dynamics of play. If only EA could have sorted those things out by expanding upon this engine, perhaps we could have really had a nice feeling AND realistic playing game.

I just love how the player models have a stylized and distinct look between the positions without looking too cartoony. The WR's have that cut up but long and wiry look to their bodies, Linemen have the big arms and bellies while QB's have a fragile and narrow realistic look.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

I picked up Madden 05 for the PC after buying Madden 13..While the "options" blow Madden 13 away (editing, creation, etc) the gameplay is near impossible to handle. All the little gamplay issues that are irritating now are 100 times worse.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 49

It's sad that were playing a 2013 football title and can still compare it to last gen at all.

Play Madden 98, then play NFL ESPN 2k5 or Madden 05. Play NBA 2k5, then player NBA 2k12/13. In 8 years gaming should be so good the old stuff looks and feels silly. not the case with Madden. Debate Madden 13 vs NFL 2k5 all you want. Pick the one you like. However, no matter what you can't say Madden 13 isn't worlds better then NFL 2k5(minus graphics), and even madden 05 on some things. Madden 13 still doesn't have half the features that "other game" had, and is much more scripted and "dated" in many ways then 2k5 was as well.

Saying all that, Madden 13 has a nice feel to it. Love the passing and running if they can just get the AI competitive, and clean up the physics little by little this should be a very solid game IMO.

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

It's my little bro's favorite too. I do love how dirty the unis got in rain games, like someone mentioned. That was fantastic!

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 1

Actually, I tried the little tip (trick) of setting up 2 profiles and turning on 2 controllers and launching Madden 09 so you can have separate CPU SLIDERS in the game and it was a much better experience. I was able to play a much more realistic game against the CPU and many of the issues Ive seen in the game were gone....(not all tho)

I like how the games engine has a much tighter & physical sensation of contact between the players. I may actually start a new season

ANyone know of 2012-13 rosters I can XPort into 09?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »