Home

What do you think? Madden NFL 13 - Not for the casual fan?

This is a discussion on What do you think? Madden NFL 13 - Not for the casual fan? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #41
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: What do you think? Madden NFL 13 - Not for the casual fan?

my 2 cents is that people like the guy who wrote that article CANNOT, SHOULD NOT, and MUST NOT be the type of guy that you guys at Madden13 make this game for. Anyone who would give up on the game that quickly is never going to be a loyal customer for a football game. Maybe an easier title like Blitz or something would be more "up his alley". If EA started trying to dummy down a SIMULATION football game he series is DEAD IN THE WATER.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #42
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
The graphics, visuals and sounds are spectacular, even down to the players kicking up bits of turf rubber as they cut and run. Broadcasters Jim Nantz and Phil Simms do a brief pregame show, and with the controls at your finger tips, you almost feel like you are navigating a real NFL game.
All these things are more impressive to casual fans than hardcore imo. I notice bad player movement, bad blocking and goofy physics animations that a casual fan would probably overlook.

Quote:
you will find an intimidating array of options and a playbook the size of a college textbook.
Quote:
For those who know what they're doing, the buttons and controls haven't changed much on these systems.
The guys seems to be talking in circles and contradictin ghimself here. The game really hasn't changed with the exception of strat pad and play art tells you how plays work. It doesn't take long to figure this out at all.

The only area where Madden isn't for casual fans is the play now online games. Newbies get eaten alive by tournament sharks using the same techniques over and over. No one finds getting their *** whooped with cheesy tactics very entertaining.

Basically, I think the article should be renamed "Madden 13 is only for Madden fans". Madden represents football in a certain way. Not everyone likes it and eventually, like COD it can become boring and repetitive. I think statistically, we would probably find an almost equal ratio of casual fans who like and dislike Madden 13 as there are hardcore fans that like and dislike Madden 13.

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 09-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #43
Banned

siouxredskins's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
NBA 2k has done just fine with what I call a sim game. Casuals can either turn off the harder settings, choose arcade, or otherwise their SOL. No matter what they have to at least know the rules of basketball. Check out their sales. How casual are you suggesting madden goes? It's already so casual it is loosing sim players.

I fail to see how Madden is not casual enough. If you can play backyard football, chances are you can play this game.

I agree with the above poster, that is why they have blitz.

thats probably less then one percent of their sales and obviously unimportant.

its a top 10 selling video game on ps3 and 360. No one cares if a few sim standard guys dont buy it anymore. There will always be a fresh supply of 13 to 25 year olds who dont care or need to know the science of a west coast offense to play a football video game

young NFL players still play madden and they havent started any forum campaign saying the video game doesnt represent my sport well enough
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
NBA 2k has done just fine with what I call a sim game. Casuals can either turn off the harder settings, choose arcade, or otherwise their SOL. No matter what they have to at least know the rules of basketball. Check out their sales. How casual are you suggesting madden goes? It's already so casual it is loosing sim players.

I fail to see how Madden is not casual enough. If you can play backyard football, chances are you can play this game.

I agree with the above poster, that is why they have blitz.
I fiddle with sliders in NBA 2k just as much as I do Madden. It takes a long time to get it where I want it, at least a month before I settle on something. Plus, the rosters are so horrible, that you have users making all world rosters and they fininished with those around December or a bit later.

Plus, there are much more football fans than NBA fans, I don't even know if NBA 2k does half the sales Madden does, although they do well for what they have, plus, they are pretty much exclusive too.

Just putting things into perspective.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmdotFrisk
I came across this article today and am really curious to what you guys think. Pick this article apart, discuss, ask me questions, and add perspective.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...asual-fan.html

Appreciate it guys.
You guys did an amazing job with the game this year. It is UNHEARD of for me to not play NCAA, but ever since buying Madden, it has been sitting on the shelf, and that's very unusual for me.

There are some things I don't like (no editing, simulation stats are rough) but all in all, the best Madden I have played in YEARS.

The article was pretty weak... Madden can appeal to both the casual and sim gamer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #46
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0

Casual gamers, schmasual gamers. Why don't they just play little big planet or wii sports or something?

Madden is not for casual gaming.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #47
Rookie

icedcrow's Arena

OVR: 0

I think it can cater to casual fans as it can cater to simulationists.

It is what you want it to be. Despite the flaming and the haters, I feel its very strong this year.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
my 2 cents is that people like the guy who wrote that article CANNOT, SHOULD NOT, and MUST NOT be the type of guy that you guys at Madden13 make this game for. Anyone who would give up on the game that quickly is never going to be a loyal customer for a football game. Maybe an easier title like Blitz or something would be more "up his alley". If EA started trying to dummy down a SIMULATION football game he series is DEAD IN THE WATER.
EA had already dummied down the game for casuals. The guy in the article strikes me as a "arcade fan". Blitz , NFL street type of games. Madden is geared to casuals. Sim guys are not a top priority. And with EA holding the license, they pretty much got the consumer where they want them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »