Home

My take on Maddens wonderful ratings -_-

This is a discussion on My take on Maddens wonderful ratings -_- within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
My take on Maddens wonderful ratings -_-

Feel free to leave thoughts below here or on the video itself. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: My take on Maddens wonderful ratings -_-

Chances are the ratings impact win/loss at various but specific points.

For example:

If 83, 92, and 99 all win at whatever, then they will animate the same. The difference likely falls in the win rate/success rate at whatever.

Just like a ball thrown at 82 MAC or 99 MAC will "look the same" animation-wise, but the location is different, the INT chance is different, the catch chance is probably different, etc.

So, arguing about ratings just by looking at them play in the game, that's probably not a good way - but if we know where these ratings came into play, what they "check" against, and all that, then we could try to find some way to determine an accurate rating based on the player's performance.

Like with the tackling rates - Willis made 98% of his tackles last season. So if he had, say, 84 TAK - that's not right, but it's based on data and you can check his in-game success rate.

Unfortunately, we have to figure out what the ratings do and when and where - and that just gets in the way

I completely agree with using DPP to do the adjustments. DPP and traits are way underused.

I do disagree that players can't/don't improve their abilities. Just because a player has played for, say, 8 years, doesn't mean he can't improve. In fact, chances are, his technique is improving/refining, to compensate for slowing physically. EA just doesn't model growth curves, and instead of doing so, they "punted" and say "hey guys - grow your players your own way"

Last edited by KBLover; 01-04-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

I do disagree that players can't/don't improve their abilities. Just because a player has played for, say, 8 years, doesn't mean he can't improve. In fact, chances are, his technique is improving/refining, to compensate for slowing physically. EA just doesn't model growth curves, and instead of doing so, they "punted" and say "hey guys - grow your players your own way"
Well I didn't mean for it to come off as they "can't" improve. I simply meant that players should have a baseline, and should only improve with weeks of consistently good play. Until they do it on a consistent basis only adjust their confidence (only adjust consistency over long periods of time). EA won't do this because their weekly dreadful ratings adjustments are the only thing that keeps their product afloat.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

These threads do not work here. Locking this.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »