Home

End of Game Knee Downs

This is a discussion on End of Game Knee Downs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: End of Game Knee Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede_94
Right on. There is zero emotion on that field, and the models are lifeless. EA needs a producer on Madden that wants to make what we see on TV and at real games happen in their game.
Hey fellas EA and Madden is headed in the right direction. One of developers of the SCEA hit baseball series, MLB the Show is on board with the EA sports team. This was his first year with the company. I am not sure if he had a hand in this year version of the game. But trust I look for better Madden days once again.... Kolbe is his name I think..
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

This would be a nice little touch to add to the game.

Another thing that could be done to the same functional effect, though it doesn't capture the atmosphere of the suggestion, is the re-enable the accelerated clock inside the final two minutes of the fourth quarter if the offense is winning, the defense is out of timeouts, and the offense has enough downs to run out the clock (1st and 10 at 2:00, 2nd and 1 with 1:10 left, 3rd and 79 with 39 seconds left, what have you).
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Another thing that could be done to the same functional effect, though it doesn't capture the atmosphere of the suggestion, is the re-enable the accelerated clock inside the final two minutes of the fourth quarter if the offense is winning, the defense is out of timeouts, and the offense has enough downs to run out the clock (1st and 10 at 2:00, 2nd and 1 with 1:10 left, 3rd and 79 with 39 seconds left, what have you).
The accelerated clock should be active during the final two minutes, period.

It's silly that I can huddle up and call a play faster than actually using the hurry-up offense...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

It's silly that I can huddle up and call a play faster than actually using the hurry-up offense...
That's a really good point. I've never noticed this really because, unless I'm winning and deliberately running out the clock, I always go no-huddle unless the clock has stopped. Hmm.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Banned

steelersfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

Man I've been clamoring this for years. Its ******** the accelerated clock disappears under 2 minutes. If it was still an aspect it'd for the user or AI to have to run no huddle, use the sidelines, spike the ball and use timeouts more wisely. As it is now the middle of the field can be used to frequently and teams can huddle without penalty to the game clock or play clock.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Something seems off about the play clock in general. I was playing online, and I was up 6 with 1:38 on the clock. My opponent had only one time out. I got in victory formation, running the clock down to nothing each down, but he strangely ended up with 20 or so seconds left on the clock. He hit two hail mary passes in a row to Randy Moss and won the game.

That should have bee game, right? Is there some weird corner of the NFL rulebook where time should not have expired in that scenario?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephyW
Something seems off about the play clock in general. I was playing online, and I was up 6 with 1:38 on the clock. My opponent had only one time out. I got in victory formation, running the clock down to nothing each down, but he strangely ended up with 20 or so seconds left on the clock. He hit two hail mary passes in a row to Randy Moss and won the game.

That should have bee game, right? Is there some weird corner of the NFL rulebook where time should not have expired in that scenario?

Hmm...

98 seconds left. 1 TO.

You kneel, I call my last TO, probably 96 seconds left.

You kneel, 40 seconds run off - 56 seconds left, 3rd down

You kneel, 40 seconds run off - 16 seconds left, 4th down.

Yep, you should have been able to run it down on 4th down without having to punt.

I don't play online so, I don't know if there's some kind of glitch or issue. But the math works out that you should have won.

Never mind the 2 hail mary passes to win thing. What were your DBs doing? Probably the "watch him catch it" thing that happens sometimes on deep balls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Hmm...

98 seconds left. 1 TO.

You kneel, I call my last TO, probably 96 seconds left. (2nd down)

You kneel, 40 seconds run off - 56 seconds left, 3rd down

You kneel, 40 seconds run off - 16 seconds left, 4th down.

Yep, you should have been able to run it down on 4th down without having to punt.
I may be missing something, but:

As soon as the offense fails to convert a fourth down, the clock stops due to the turnover; that is, he runs his five second play (assuming a legitimate attempt to convert on fourth down) and if the conversion fails the ball is turned over with 11 seconds remaining. There aren't many legitimate plays in the playbook that let one run sixteen seconds off the clock without some sort of tomfoolery (retreating 40 yards backwards with a scrambling QB, for example, which is a terrible play to make because it's going to take a ton of effort to not give your opponent great field position), so the offense can't realistically run out the clock on fourth down that way, either. A punt (the safe play) would run that down to about 8 to 16 seconds, depending on the return. A fourth down conversion would in-fact end the game, but given the kneeldowns is probably strategically out of the question.

Doesn't explain the massive defensive breakdown, however.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »