Home

I think EA should scratch the ratings system.

This is a discussion on I think EA should scratch the ratings system. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001

EA can keep ratings but they need meaningful data and a meaningful data distribution that truly tells how players stand out from one another. What we have now is a cluster of skills and techniques where every player in the game is clumped from 60-99 in everything. According to the data I have, the distribution is much wider and the space between a great player and an average player out of college is much greater. Madden needs to reflect this. I feel like the guys at 2k Sports do this correctly with their NBA 2K games. The elites really stand out.
Im surprised nobody thanked this man for his insight. If you look at the ratings collectively for the entire roster spreadsheet it is just as he said. Seek and you shall find.

As for the ratings parlaying persona. An author by the name of Gotmadskills expounded on this here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p?p=2044616157

The ratings need more disparity or tiers, as some would call it. The ratings sysyem itself is what is flawed. We could use more animations and traits etc; its all a cosmetic makeover. The ugly truth is still there beneath.

Once the ratings reveal accurate disparity relative to their real life counterparts then will we see it reflected in the game.

Next time you look over the roster file consider the following:

Why are defensive players granted 45pts for blocking accross the board?

Why are defensive playera granted special moves that are more sinificant than that of the elite backs who actually need them and utilize them routinely?

These are just a few obeservations too consider. Consider their non linear effects in the overall gameplay and player ability.

Ea inflates (and deflates but inflates moreso) player abilities to appease overall ratings. Certain ratings weigh more than others and as such the players get boosts outside their fundamental abilities so that they get a high overall rating that matches their true to life player grade. Its a counterfeit product however if we judge them by the sum of their partss.

Ea madden is driven by bottom line results but they cheat their way there with innacuracies on the balance sheet for subtotals in assets and liabilities for player abilities. Its like filing your taxes -- some investments will yield better returns than others.

If we judge their (a player) total networth of assets and liabilties using a pure sysytem and not the flawed weighing system -- the average player would come out with a ceiling overall in the sub 50s or lower. A 70overall would be Amazing and that player would likely be a player who has the capqcity to play both ways or atleast show enough versatility to play multiple roles on offense or defense.

Ratings are here to stay but it is their ratings system that is flawed at the baseline so to say from a foundation perspective.

The numbers dont lie. Seek the truth and you shall find the truth and the truth shall set you free. Look at the numbers in the roster file for all positions for all players. Youll see the coverups and hidden agendas going on in the backend that trigger the crazy nuances on the frontend.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 02-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: I think EA should scratch the ratings system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Im surprised nobody thanked this man for his insight. If you look at the ratings collectively for the entire roster spreadsheet it is just as he said. Seek and you shall find.

As for the ratings parlaying persona. An author by the name of Gotmadskills expounded on this here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p?p=2044616157

The ratings need more disparity or tiers, as some would call it. The ratings sysyem itself is what is flawed. We could use more animations and traits etc; its all a cosmetic makeover. The ugly truth is still there beneath.

Once the ratings reveal accurate disparity relative to their real life counterparts then will we see it reflected in the game.

Next time you look over the roster file consider the following:

Why are defensive players granted 45pts for blocking accross the board?

Why are defensive playera granted special moves that are more sinificant than that of the elite backs who actually need them and utilize them routinely?

These are just a few obeservations too consider. Consider their non linear effects in the overall gameplay and player ability.

Ea inflates (and deflates but inflates moreso) player abilities to appease overall ratings. Certain ratings weigh more than others and as such the players get boosts outside their fundamental abilities so that they get a high overall rating that matches their true to life player grade. Its a counterfeit product however if we judge them by the sum of their partss.

Ea madden is driven by bottom line results but they cheat their way there with innacuracies on the balance sheet for subtotals in assets and liabilities for player abilities. Its like filing your taxes -- some investments will yield better returns than others.

If we judge their (a player) total networth of assets and liabilties using a pure sysytem and not the flawed weighing system -- the average player would come out with a ceiling overall in the sub 50s or lower. A 70overall would be Amazing and that player would likely be a player who has the capqcity to play both ways or atleast show enough versatility to play multiple roles on offense or defense.

Ratings are here to stay but it is their ratings system that is flawed at the baseline so to say from a foundation perspective.

The numbers dont lie. Seek the truth and you shall find the truth and the truth shall set you free. Look at the numbers in the roster file for all positions for all players. Youll see the coverups and hidden agendas going on in the backend that trigger the crazy nuances on the frontend.

I don't disagree, but I can just hear the endless up roar...how dare you EA Tom Brady as a 70 overall you've got to be kidding me....
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
. I will get to that second degree. Regarding how you get to the overall that is still reflective of the hundred being the best will require an ovethaul in the system.

The overall needs to be influenced by position and heavily by the position and not by a universal standard. This means that blocking and rouye runninh should not be weighed evenly for both wrs and olinemen but by significance.

I think the word is diametrically opposed to symmetrically. How they weigh the significance already in thei power and in use. They need to tune the significance by ability per position and not ability over all positions.

Thinking in percentages the significance is judged by how relevant the ability is to the player in respect to his position or role. This way when you have an Rg3 his running ability is not weighed much as a rb but it is still going to be respected on the field thru the raw data.

Comprendre? In short its the weighing of ratings that needs adjusting in the ratings system so that ratings are influenced by the significance of each ability in respect to position.

If significance is respected per abilityosition and not across all positons you will eliminate the need to pick from tom to feed peter. The ratings need their own house so to say per position. Blocking ability will still be reflected for dbs but will not be weighed like it is for linemen. This way a db can recieve a 15 or so for blocking because his actual db abilities will give him the neccessary booosts.

Its because some ratings are not heavily influrnced at all and others are that you see this taking from tom to feed peter behavior.

Route running is one of those case study examples. Route running needs to be weighed with 100 percent significance for WRs. This ability is hand and hand with catching but before you can even make a catchable play you need to create passing windows w your footwork and release.

Speed needs to be judged with less significance across the board and individually. Determine what the average forty time is for draftees. It is not 4.2 there is more to the game than speed alone esp at wr and db where you need technical abilities more than raw ability

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 02-08-2013 at 07:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »