Home

User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues?

This is a discussion on User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues?

I think a no switch league would really tick me off, considering how completely moronic WRs play on their own. Are any of these no switch leagues using sliders? If so could you tell me what they are or refer me to a link please. Default the offensive players seem to watch more than they play. I would love EA to make the WRs about 1000 percent more aggressive in terms of going after passes.

I think a no switch league would neutralize some big name WRs, any no switch guys feel free to correct me.

All that said I think some of the INTs made when switching are ridiculous because if the DB isn't looking for the ball he should have a very hard time making a pick and that just does not seem to be represented within Madden at this point. Would like to see more dropped INT attempts when you do that - but defense needs major upgrades going forward.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

if you dont control a WR and think its a exploit there it literally no reason to PLAY the game.

The better game would be to play NFL Head Coach.

Have there been exploits? You bet...Rocket Catching was pretty bad back in the day but it has been removed from the game minus a few random occurrences (IMO less then 1% of passes in the game).

Go ahead and user catch at will!

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7
if you dont control a WR and think its a exploit there it literally no reason to PLAY the game.

The better game would be to play NFL Head Coach.

Have there been exploits? You bet...Rocket Catching was pretty bad back in the day but it has been removed from the game minus a few random occurrences (IMO less then 1% of passes in the game).

Go ahead and user catch at will!
Why Sgibs, why? You know that Usering a WR is not the only way to play Madden and choosing to only control ONE player during each play is still playing the game. So I guess in a basketball game since the User doesn't take control of the dunker on an alley oop or take control of the receiver of a fast break pass until they have actually caught the ball, that's not playing those games either, huh?

You all should cut it out, lol.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Why Sgibs, why? You know that Usering a WR is not the only way to play Madden and choosing to only control ONE player during each is still playing the game. So I guess in a basketball game since the User doesn't take control of the dunker on an alley oop or take control of the receiver of a fast break pass until they have actually caught the ball, that's not playing those games either, huh?

You all should cut it out, lol.
just my opinion. that's why I like individual communities that build around a commonality.

IMO though...I think it's silly to completely ban user catching. If you can't click on then you shouldn't be able to click on defense, you should throw passes...etc

I tend to worry about where the line in the sand is.

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7
just my opinion. that's why I like individual communities that build around a commonality.

IMO though...I think it's silly to completely ban user catching. If you can't click on then you shouldn't be able to click on defense, you should throw passes...etc

I tend to worry about where the line in the sand is.
What if in Madden a skilled receiver like Megatron actually played that way under CPU/AI control and User control was far more difficult and intricate, what would be your opinion on all this then?

I can understand a no switch league being fun because User control is usually more effective than AI control. I have an issue with so called "stick skills" in Madden because there is very little actual skill involved in it, imo. I think back to fight games like Street Fighter and Tekken where it took time to master all the given moves of a particular character and even the current basketball game where you have to learn how to shoot and use the signature moves of each player. Madden has very little of that unique player differential, you User catch pretty much the same with anybody.

No switch leagues, which I believe also restrict switching to the defender when the ball is in the air, allows each players ratings to playout, far better than User control does.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:
What if in Madden a skilled receiver like Megatron actually played that way under CPU/AI control and User control was far more difficult and intricate, what would be your opinion on all this then?

I can understand a no switch league being fun because User control is usually more effective than AI control. I have an issue with so called "stick skills" in Madden because there is very little actual skill involved in it, imo. I think back to fight games like Street Fighter and Tekken where it took time to master all the given moves of a particular character and even the current basketball game where you have to learn how to shoot and use the signature moves of each player. Madden has very little of that unique player differential, you User catch pretty much the same with anybody.

No switch leagues, which I believe also restrict switching to the defender when the ball is in the air, allows each players ratings to playout, far better than User control does.
Madden USE to have that type of "stick skill". I would agree with you though that additions of things like ball hawk etc that a lot of the aforementioned stick skills have been removed from the game.

Most of the stick skill in the game now relies on User Control of a specific defensive player. "Bating" your opponent into make poor decisions based on your placement with the defender.

I want the game to remain fun but still have a respectable difficulty level. The hard part is that both of those things are different for different people. Which in the end makes it difficult to find a balancing act.

For example...

NHL 13 wasn't a very fun game for me this year. The game was slowed down and I personally didn't enjoy it (compared to a game like NHL 09). At the same time I think FIFA 13 did a great job of finding an amazing balance of authenticity that is intuitive and a difficulty level that won't allow you to pick up the sticks and immediately be an all-star.

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:

The part that I struggle with is that when you play Madden head to head vs another living human being you are essentially going up against each other mano-a-mano doesn't some sort of skill come in to play? Yes, ratings are important but when you are both physically making decisions. The better player will win. Removing user skill is sort of destroying the competition of it all.

For me at least.

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

That^^^

I could never stand playing in a no switch league until THAT happens...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »