Home

Types of DE and progressing them

This is a discussion on Types of DE and progressing them within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Rookie

Fixxer's Arena

OVR: 0
Types of DE and progressing them

I have a speed rusher Defensive end and a 4-3 balance defensive end I have drafted. For defensive ends how do you determine if you have a finesse move defensive end or a power move defensive end ( which one should I put the most xp in so they are a better player, better pass rusher) I know block shedding has a part in it also. I run a 4-3 attacking defense. Also same question for linebackers if anyone has knowledge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Types of DE and progressing them

I always put my best pass rusher at LDE and look for the following attributes.

Finesse Move
Block Shedding
Acceleration
Speed

Some of the best DEs I come across in the draft:

Austin Gjere
Brad Timbers
Alex Vickery
Trevon Bernard
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Rookie

I think block shed is used to get off a block, but not around the blocker. So used for run stop rather than pass rush

I think in M12 power moves was much better than finesse moves. Haven't seen or tried comparison tests in M13. But in my KC franchise I use Hali and Houston with ravens PB in formations that put them as DEs. Speed and acc seems really important as it allows to quickly close in after getting around the block

For actually getting off the block I have only tried power moves, but seems to work really well. Have then also worked to get strength up and seems to have improved the chance of getting around the linemen

So for me:
Speed
Acc
Power moves
Strength

Oh yeah, stamina is also really important, allowing your pass rushers to stay on the field most possible when trying to get XP. Later when well developed as a pass rusher, you can then get hit power to also create fumbles when sacking the QB
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekolas
I think block shed is used to get off a block, but not around the blocker. So used for run stop rather than pass rush

I think in M12 power moves was much better than finesse moves. Haven't seen or tried comparison tests in M13. But in my KC franchise I use Hali and Houston with ravens PB in formations that put them as DEs. Speed and acc seems really important as it allows to quickly close in after getting around the block

For actually getting off the block I have only tried power moves, but seems to work really well. Have then also worked to get strength up and seems to have improved the chance of getting around the linemen

So for me:
Speed
Acc
Power moves
Strength

Oh yeah, stamina is also really important, allowing your pass rushers to stay on the field most possible when trying to get XP. Later when well developed as a pass rusher, you can then get hit power to also create fumbles when sacking the QB
Wouldn't that make Hali and Houston play "DT" if you put them as DEs in a 3-4 scheme because the Ravens use a 3-4?
Anyway, I look for speed, power moves, strength, block shedding, and pursuit. Finesse moves have never worked in my history of madden

For OP: Speed rushers are generally finesse rushers, but on Madden, I would bump up the Strength, Power Moves, and Block shed. If you just want a finesse guy, all you need is finesse moves and pursuit, maybe block shedding too.

Last edited by moveitsjosh; 05-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
Rookie

Ah I didn't explain that very well - there are a couple of formations in the ravens PB that are like 4-3 (well point mostly being that it is 4 linemen), but has OLBs playing at DE, and DEs playing at DT by default. I guess because they are a hybrid defense and not 'hardcore' 3-4 or something ?_? Just looked them up, they are called dime and nickel formation - but like I said, OLBs play the DE by default (<- if this is common then I'm sorry, but first time I have seen it)

Usually you either have the really speedy finesse moves guys with low strength, or you have the slow-medium fast and medium strength guys with power moves (and high strength guys are usually slow 3-4 DEs run stoppers). That is kind of why I believe the combination of finesse guy speed and 3-4 DE strength together with power moves is the best combination. Attributes such as block shed and pursuit is in my opinion mostly for stopping someone running with the ball. Dont get me wrong, they are great to have since it can mean completely shutting down the opponents run game with tackles for loss, but as for pass rushing, I don't believe they aid you much
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Just started!

I use Hali and Houston with ravens PB in formations that put them as DEs.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

I will give you my formula for making Beast DEs and explain each trait. Listed in order of importance.

1) Block Shed: I read someone saying this is only for run stopping. That is not true. this is the single most important trait when rushing the passer (IMO). Should your DE actually get blocked he can quickly disengage from the OL in a position where the OLineman can not recover. Once i get my DE up to at least 90 Block Shed. I like to line him up on the outside shoulder of the tackle(9 tech). At the snap of the ball I run str8 like I'm speed rushing, I purposely engage the Tackle then quickly disengage by flicking the Left Stick in the opposite direction of the Tackle. This will give you a Clear path to the QB game over and if you have a guy with 87+ speed it happens really quick.
I'm currently playing with Rico Olyain from the Romeo Draft class. He has 90 speed, mids 80s strength. I got his Block shed up into the 90s I regularly see triple teams from the CPU with the TE and RB staying in to block him. I also like to mix in pure speed rushes as well. (you will also get more holding calls as OLinemen, nothing crazy, but that will be their only hope to stop you.)

2) Pursuit; Pursuit gives a speed boost to the defender once he gets within a certain vicinity of the ball. This is why 80 speed LBs can catch 97spd RBs before they get to the corner. Beefing up pursuit will also make your rusher take better angles when CPU controlled and make it almost impossible for QBs to escape once he's in range and bearing down on them at max speed.

3) acceleration/speed: these are expensive so i try to find a guy with high acc and spd to develop the rest.

4) Power Move/Finesse Move: Without block shed I feel like these moves are useless and never feel like they impact my players ability to dominate. I beef this up once pursuit and block shed are in the mid 90s.

_------------For Fun

Hit Power; This will punish RBs who accidentally run into you behind the line scrimmage and increase the chances of Sack Fumbles.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Rookie

As far as DE's go (and really all DLmen) I think acceleration is just as important as speed. Charles Johnson isn't fast (78 speed) but he is an almost unparralleled sack machine because his acceleration is 90, and he has solid strength on top of that.

Speaking of strength, it also matters quite a bit, even in the 4-3 I would start Lamarcus Sands or Jakari Christmas at DE because their immense strength allows them to disengage from Tackles faster (it was explained that strength helped judge how long an O-Line man could hold his block, and that a DLinement with higher strength would likely be able to disengage faster). Both Jakari and Sands have rediculous (unmatched) strength, they both have respectable speed (75/80) and good acceleration numbers (which I value higher than speed because it is more expensive to upgrade for DTs). They are able to get to the QB at will whether rushing the inside or the outside.

That stated, any play that gets a guy like Dontari Poe or Jakari Christmas matched up 1 on 1 with a Center is a money play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »