Home

Will you buy the game if Penalties aren't fixed?

This is a discussion on Will you buy the game if Penalties aren't fixed? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will you Buy Madden 25 if Penalties are not fixed?
Yea they don't effect gameplay that much 21 58.33%
Nope total lack of concern to fix legacy issues 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Will you buy the game if Penalties aren't fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Kolbe and his team were able to make refs and penalties apart of the chess match in The Show, so hopefully he can bring that element to Madden, at some point.
Assuming that you are talking about the dynamic umpire strike zones in The Show (if that's an incorrect assumption, what other penalty systems are in the game?), I think it's easier to slightly redefine a strike zone for a game and much easier to have that system not appear like the computer is using the system to cheat the user. Not saying I'm satisfied with the current penalty system, just thinking about challenges associated with modelling it accurately without letting it go overboard.

Being forced to pick either extreme, I definitely lean towards the current system instead of seeing 10 Pass Interference calls every game.

On that note, it makes me curious what the average number of defensive pass interference penalties that occur per game in the NFL actually is.

EDIT: Did a bit of research and according to this link it looks like there was one defensive pass interference penalty slightly over every 2 games this past season.

Last edited by The_Rick_14; 06-02-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: The Power of Research!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
Assuming that you are talking about the dynamic umpire strike zones in The Show (if that's an incorrect assumption, what other penalty systems are in the game?), I think it's easier to slightly redefine a strike zone for a game and much easier to have that system not appear like the computer is using the system to cheat the user. Not saying I'm satisfied with the current penalty system, just thinking about challenges associated with modelling it accurately without letting it go overboard.

Being forced to pick either extreme, I definitely lean towards the current system instead of seeing 10 Pass Interference calls every game.

On that note, it makes me curious what the average number of defensive pass interference penalties that occur per game in the NFL actually is.
I agree with this post. In other sports, penalties are based on the user. In football since there are so many different kind of penalties. And the user has very little control of when and where they happen. As a user, you can draw defensive pass interference controlling the defense. It has to be egregious though since there aren't many tools to effectively cover receivers, rbs, etc. Unless there was a button that makes you grab a receiver, I think it would be hard to balance and feel like it was a user error and not a dice roll.

With holding, when it happens it's random. There is no user input. Its based somewhat on ratings sure, but at the end of the day we still have very little input on when it happens.

I think it comes down to finding a way to penalize players without penalizing the users for something they had very little control over.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

8 people are seriously not buying the game because penalties won't be fixed? Was this something you already decided before you saw this thread?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I agree with this post. In other sports, penalties are based on the user. In football since there are so many different kind of penalties. And the user has very little control of when and where they happen. As a user, you can draw defensive pass interference controlling the defense. It has to be egregious though since there aren't many tools to effectively cover receivers, rbs, etc. Unless there was a button that makes you grab a receiver, I think it would be hard to balance and feel like it was a user error and not a dice roll.

With holding, when it happens it's random. There is no user input. Its based somewhat on ratings sure, but at the end of the day we still have very little input on when it happens.

I think it comes down to finding a way to penalize players without penalizing the users for something they had very little control over.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Holding and false starts shouldn't be completely random tho. EA has access to the stats of every NFL player. If it's out of the user control, it should happen based on the players tendencies to commit the fouls in real life. They can even see if matching up against high rated players or being on the road increase the frequency for certain players. Not saying it wouldn't be difficult for EA, but it's possible to make it more than a dice roll.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Your only hope of penalties being fixed will be in the next-gen versions, they will NOT be addressed this current gen so get that out your head; but lack of penalties is not a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

On polls, just put yes or no. Don't give terrible options to pick because neither of those are how I feel.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Rookie

Cleveland Rocks's Arena

OVR: 0

Your 2 questions are way too leading no judge would allow them lol. Pass interference is no called enough but it't not called enough in real life either. It's though because who many would not be user induced. There are bigger more likely issue to be fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I had 2 pass interference calls in the last week. One in Madden 13 the other in NCAA 13. Besides one other PI call in M13 when it first came out, I can't even remember the last time it was called. And I don't even think I have ever seen Offensive PI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »