Home

Would a passing meter help with the passing game.

This is a discussion on Would a passing meter help with the passing game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Would a passing meter help with the passing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
qb is and has always been the most unrealistic part of madden. Even with upgraded blocking, better running animations, and physics the game will still not be realistic if qb's are overly accurate/unrealistic. Even with the qb accuracy slider turned down all you get is more bad throws, but not a realistic representation of an nfl qb. You can run a sucessful passing attack with any qb in madden from first to third string.
That's because you are the one controlling them and making the decisions. Imagine if Peyton Manning were able to "take control" of other qbs and make decisions. I'm sure they would be successful too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I would be very curious to see how a vision cone would fair, reaction wise, in today's Madden community.

It, for sure, is more realistic and brings a whole new dimension to the passing attack. It was very fun to look off user safeties and then hit the out route on the other side. I am not sure it is the better option in regards to a throwing meter though. Even with a vision cone you can see the whole field and are just waiting for the right time to quickly switch over to the WR you are throwing at. It makes ita little bit harder, but after a few games you would quickly adjust and be hitting the same guys you normally would most of the time without the cone.

As far as slants and quick throws, I think the length/difficulty of the attempted pass would have to play into effect. If you are hitting a five yard slant, the meter would be filled almost instantly. As I mentioned, for me, the only way to properly implement a meter is if the timing as unique to each throw.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 06-29-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
I was going back and forth in my head on how the passing game can represent a bit more realism...

What if they used somewhat of the kicking meter without the directional aiming to simulate how far the ball is thrown, Which could lead to more under throws and over throws and also allows the developers to easily implement a way to differentiate throwing power and accuracy.

For instance...If I'm trying to throw to receiver (A) who is running a streak route I would press A and hold it until the meter filled to the most precise range relative to the QBs throwing power, So for instance if I held the A button all the way to the tip of the meter and released it at the perfect point (filled meter) it would represent me throwing the full amount of the QB's throwing power.

In my opinion this would also help with throwing under pressure because you'd be more concerned with getting the pass off which using this method could affect accuracy.

It's not a full thought out implementation but I'm curious if anyone could see this being beneficial?
It would have to happen quick.

A QB's release is a very fast action, even those with a "slow" (relative to the speed of the NFL) release.

If there's a meter, it would have to move quickly so it keeps up with the timing of the play and allow me as QB to adjust my pass.

How would trajectory be set in a meter system? Is there a meter method that could sit trajectory and velocity in the time a QB releases a pass?

As much as the pressure button press + L-stick system can get wonky, at least it's a very quick action that flows with the speed and timing of the game.

Consider that pass accuracy is a pass that is successful in trajectory, location (both to a spot on the field and relative to the receiver and defender), timing, and velocity. Timing would be us starting the act of throwing (and activating the meter(s)). How would the rest work?

Last edited by KBLover; 06-30-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergatti
I LOVE THIS IDEA.

I'm thinking like the pitching meter in MVP baseball.

Facing pressure, it would be difficult to make an accurate / correct distance throw, as in real life.

However, the throwing motions and timing in baseball is slower than in football.

A pitcher's windup, even out of the stretch, is slower than a QB's release. Many throws a fielder makes aren't as quick in release and the location is always static.

Meters for kicking are done BEFORE the play (although I hear All-Pro Football had timing/analog actions during kicks - but that's not a meter either just like there's no meter for hitting power in The Show, but you can use analog actions to swing if you wanted). You couldn't preset a throw meter before the snap because QBs have to make reads on the fly and then make the actions on the fly in about 1/3 second or so. Just like the actual swing in baseball is a really fleeting event and any meter would have to be so fast that it probably wouldn't be useful - also, you'd have about 0.4 seconds to pick up the ball, determine movement, determine location, determine timing, determine ball/strike/pitch you want to hit, and use a meter to swing the bat.

I think that's why it works well for baseball throws and pitching (and not hitting) and might be why it could struggle with football (for the same reason it probably wouldn't work for hitting). Even in MVP, some throws the meter went so fast, it was almost impossible to not go into the "error zone", even though fielders can make those throws all the time.

I'm willing to see it tried and play it, but I think that's the hurdle that has to be jumped.

Last edited by KBLover; 06-30-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i would not go with a meter, i would say make the difference between 90 thp very different than 70 thp, it should be night and day...

so it makes the user and the cpu have to compensate either through the gameplan, or making decisions on the field quicker... so a guy with a weak arm may have to throw the streak earlier or throw that crossing pattern early..

same for acc, make good v avg ratings night and day.

the problem is bad players making throws at all times like good players.

and expand on the new passing mechanic they added last year, for low awr QB's make the passing icons appear later and disappear quicker the longer they hold the ball.

based on the play you pick whoever is the primary guy they will appear first, followed by the players closest to the the LOS

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

I got into a looooooong argument about passing meters on this forum, so I'll shortly summarize my thought here.

Yes, I think passing should me much more contingent on the user skill, with the meters and the directional stick work requiring more precision to account for weaker players. My goal would be that elite guys like Manning compensate for user error with a much larger targeting window and meter range, while lesser passers like Sanchez require much more finesse on the stick to play well.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't like the idea of a meter, but i prefer the idea of a hideable 'gauge' that will determine the power. Full gauge = bullet, empty gauge = duck. All you have to do is aim the ball with the left stick to a PLACE. Throw Power will help determine how quickly the QB can get to full power. (My only concern is finding a way to determine quite how far a throw can go, although most QBs are limited by velocity more than distance...)

Obviously with this there would have to be an almost infinite number of ball trajectories.

Spread out ratings and untethering the WR and the ball in combination to this approach would revolutionise passing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 0

Maybe what they should do is have the "Madden Rating" and then the under the hood have the "Real Rating" That way everybodys happy, player ratings are where every fanboy can be happy, and the game still works!! Best of both worlds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »