Home

3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on 3-4 defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Rookie

PhillyWhat2011's Arena

OVR: 1
3-4 defense?

Does this D work ever in franchise?

I haven't bought madden in the last 5 years and was interested in picking this one up. One of the biggest things that used to bother me was not being able to use this D, in franchise mode, with any success. I could have a 350 pound 90 overall NT who was blocked by one man and rarely made the tackles when he blew a play up and each OLB would never get anywhere near the QB. Are issues like this still in this game or newer versions?

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: 3-4 defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyWhat2011
Does this D work ever in franchise?

I haven't bought madden in the last 5 years and was interested in picking this one up. One of the biggest things that used to bother me was not being able to use this D, in franchise mode, with any success. I could have a 350 pound 90 overall NT who was blocked by one man and rarely made the tackles when he blew a play up and each OLB would never get anywhere near the QB. Are issues like this still in this game or newer versions?

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Unfortunately defense is broken in this game especially with the greatness of the new and improved run blocking .

Only thing that works in madden is nano blitzes and max coverage .

Good luck .
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Rookie

PhillyWhat2011's Arena

I was afraid of that. I figured after all these years you could eventually play a defense that every team in the league uses and have success but I guess not.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
MVP

Ice_Cold345's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
I was afraid of that. I figured after all these years you could eventually play a defense that every team in the league uses and have success but I guess not.

Thanks for the reply.
Messing with sliders could make defense at least playable (and other house rules like no switching from a player, making it more CPU controlled) but playing one or the other really doesn't feel any different. I don't get that feel of the difference between running one or the other.
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers
NASCAR: Ryan Newman

One day, Purdue Men's Basketball and Football will become relevant again.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Rookie

PhillyWhat2011's Arena

I'd just like to have a pig NT that's takes up a couple blockers and at least one pass rushing OLB that matters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
MVP

Ice_Cold345's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
I'd just like to have a pig NT that's takes up a couple blockers and at least one pass rushing OLB that matters.
I know, I would as well, since I like playing the 3-4 but EA doesn't really know what the 3-4 is except that it's a defense. I really wish you could make your own formations/plays because I'm not always going to run my guys on the line in the same position and adjust the whole line as whole doesn't do it.
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers
NASCAR: Ryan Newman

One day, Purdue Men's Basketball and Football will become relevant again.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Banned

goravens2052's Arena

OVR: 3

I guess it depends for some people, but I know playing the demo with the Ravens I haven't had trouble with the 3-4. Once I re-do the depth chart and move Daryl Smith to starter, Brandon Williams to NT I'm pretty dominant. I had that fat blob Mt. Cody in at NT and got zero pressure until I switched out to Brandon Williams.

3-4 D works for me.

Last edited by goravens2052; 08-21-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
3-4 defense?

Been using the 3-4 defense since Madden 2004 without issues with respect to ability to generate stops and turnovers. Switching to the 4-3 front this year, however, but only on account of what my team is doing in real life.

I've kinda grown to think the distinction is a bit overrated, in any event, and that the play calling and personnel have more to do with the success of the defense than the default front.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 08-22-2013 at 02:48 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »