Home

Cycle Through Passing

This is a discussion on Cycle Through Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #25
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Cycle Through Passing

lol, I honestly enjoy the varied opinions on OS, even when you guys are basically "trolling" a thread with this "bring back vision cone" stuff. To be clear, I "brought up" vision cone in the op in an attempt to make it known that's NOT what I was trying to discuss ITT, lol.

From the op:I'm NOT advocating for any type of return to a vision cone but the ability of a QB to target every receiver on the field simultaneously is quite absurd.

I guess I should have added "so please don't turn this into a discussion about vision cone", lol.

An even more realistic mechanic would be a free hand passing cursor, ala NFL Fever's "read and lead". I have taken issue with the actual visual cursor on the field in the past but considering every passing system has some arcade like visual, probably just as well go with the most realistic of them. That said, I didn't mention that in the OP because a system like that would get Madden slaughtered in the mainstream and social media by the vast majority of gamers. At least cycle through passing wouldn't be a complete shock to the system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

I loved the vision cone, because it added one more step to passing, I was able to rack up an unreasonable amount of sacks against users. I simply ignored it most of the time while on offense, since it only added +2 or so to base accuracy.

The pass blocking in Madden sucked too bad to add another layer of time to the passing sequence. Now that it is improved it might be worth bringing back, nut there has to be a better risk/reward.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
I would like to have seen a simplified but more realistic version of the vision cone.

Have the cone but only have one button for passing. Have the QBs accuracy rating change the size of the cone and their awareness change the speed that you can move the cone. Then ONE very well tuned pressure sensitive button that would allow you to chose which receiver (if their happend to be two in the cone) you were throwing to. So bascially just like Pro Evo, FIFA and NHL have just a pass button.

Depending on the length of the throw use the QBs short/medium/deep accuracy in combination with how far from the cone's center the receiver is and the precision of the user's pressure sensitive button press to estimate the accuracy of the throw. This is essentially the manual passing mechanic in Pro Evo Soccer and would allow for throws off center and under and over throws based on the user input and not just some random dice roll creating overthrows.

You could even replace the cone with just a line and basically you use the pressure sensitivity to throw along that line and then its up to the receiver to go get it. This would be very realistic but also insanely hard (perfect for me but maybe not so much for most Madden gamers).
I love the idea of a manual passing mechanism. If I do not drop QB accuracy to 2 and lower WR Catching for the USER team passing becomes a joke. Don't know how people can have fun playing online when QB accuracy is at 50 and everyone completes 80% of their passing using either Brady or Gabbert.

Pro Evo Soccer 6 is a great example. The shooting in PES 6 is pretty flawless it just feels great even after all these years. I would love more options in regards to controls ala MLB The Show has 5 different ways to hit and 5 different ways to pitch. No reason we can't have that in Madden for passing.

Button throwing pressure sensitive
Button throwing timing based
Analog throwing
Analog with timing
etc..

as well as vision cone toggleable and sliders to adjust it's impact.

My only other contribution to this discussion is that from what I know of the NFL, the successful QBs do not stare down their receivers. That is a big no no and leads to INTs, the skilled QBs know how to look off the guy they intend to pass to, the DBs follow the QBs eyes so I am not sure if a simple cycling through receivers would be realistic. I would like a way to control my QB's eyes/vision but in a way that I can 'fool' the defensive backs by looking in a different area then where I intend to throw the ball.

EA brought in an offensive linemen this year to work on the running game and he made a difference but they did not balance that out with a defensive linemen guru. They should bring in an EX QB and an EX DB as well to work on the gameplay systems.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
lol, I honestly enjoy the varied opinions on OS, even when you guys are basically "trolling" a thread with this "bring back vision cone" stuff. To be clear, I "brought up" vision cone in the op in an attempt to make it known that's NOT what I was trying to discuss ITT, lol.

From the op:I'm NOT advocating for any type of return to a vision cone but the ability of a QB to target every receiver on the field simultaneously is quite absurd.

I guess I should have added "so please don't turn this into a discussion about vision cone", lol.

An even more realistic mechanic would be a free hand passing cursor, ala NFL Fever's "read and lead". I have taken issue with the actual visual cursor on the field in the past but considering every passing system has some arcade like visual, probably just as well go with the most realistic of them. That said, I didn't mention that in the OP because a system like that would get Madden slaughtered in the mainstream and social media by the vast majority of gamers. At least cycle through passing wouldn't be a complete shock to the system.
Talk about my ideas and my idea only and only post if you agree with me. Got it. You done with your hissy fit now?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

NFL Fever R&L passing.... best I have ever used.

Not saying it was for everyone and needs to replace the X for X but it would be a great option to have.

Fever had I believe 3 options to choose from.
Loved being able to throw anywhere.

It needed some tweaking but man it was fun.

2K's FP Mode also had cycle passing. It was also fun. Guess the main thing here is why don't we have more options by now?
No excuse.
I'm sure what we'd here (just like with the no D cam in Madden excuse) is "We never knew anyone wanted a new passing system"...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 09-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
My only other contribution to this discussion is that from what I know of the NFL, the successful QBs do not stare down their receivers. That is a big no no and leads to INTs, the skilled QBs know how to look off the guy they intend to pass to, the DBs follow the QBs eyes so I am not sure if a simple cycling through receivers would be realistic. I would like a way to control my QB's eyes/vision but in a way that I can 'fool' the defensive backs by looking in a different area then where I intend to throw the ball.
that was the cone! IIRC, the CPU players reacted to where your QB was looking. i loved looking off safeties with it. you could easily get them 1-2 steps in the wrong direction.

if you can make the CPU players 'spotlight', or react, to whichever WR the passing icon is currently on, the cycling could work.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #31
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Iachimoe
that was the cone! IIRC, the CPU players reacted to where your QB was looking. i loved looking off safeties with it. you could easily get them 1-2 steps in the wrong direction.

if you can make the CPU players 'spotlight', or react, to whichever WR the passing icon is currently on, the cycling could work.
Yep. The only issue I really had with the CONE was there wasn't enough penalty for throwing outside the cone vision. Other than that it was a nice sim addition.
There were so many complaints that the "flashlight" on the screen took away from the "realism" etc...

I just felt most complained because thier "stick skilz" took a hit.
Not sure why EA just didn't keep it in as an option.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 09-09-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Cycle Through Passing

IMO, QBs start a play with a progression but beyond the 1st/2nd read I think a lot of them start a "sweeping scan" process. Whether it's "finding" a guy on a crossing route or going from the 1st read straight to a check down back due to pressure, I don't feel like a mandated cycle thru system reflects real life quarterback play at all. Not in this day and age, at least.

I don't think we're as far off as some seem to think. A real QB drops back and checks his 1st read but within his field of vision is probably a second route. That second route may or may not be the 2nd read but if there's a blown coverage then the QB, if he sees him, will fire the ball to him. I have a greater field of vision as a user because of the range of my vision compared to the small size of my digital field but the process is the same. For every pass play I have a 1st read that I'm looking at and often a second. While checking either, or while switching my focus from one to the other, I may see other WRs that are open.

IMHO, if you wanted to simulate realism then you need to figure out a helmet cam view from the QB perspective. This limits my field of vision but allows me full range of motion to scan the field. I don't feel like the mainstream gamer would want this forced on him, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »