Home

Cycle Through Passing

This is a discussion on Cycle Through Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Cycle Through Passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm NOT advocating for any type of return to a vision cone but the ability of a QB to target every receiver on the field simultaneously is quite absurd.
Why not? The vision cone was awesome. While it looked weird, it absolutely worked and I think would work way better than a cycle through system. I still wish every year that it would be brought back. They could even tweak it so that you can only throw to receivers that are within range of the cone itself to make it that much better and tougher. Unfortunately, 99% of people don't feel this way. And hell, even some of the 1% that say they do, don't really feel this way.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
Rookie

NightOwl's Arena

OVR: 10

I too liked the vision cone. Made throwing as a QB much more realistic than it is now. It wasn't crazy 85% completion with accuracy set to 5 like it is this year. I resorted to playing with the low rated teams in this years Madden to make it more fun. Then my defenders bounce off runners like they hit a wall and take terrible angles so I rage quit. Can't seem to find a happy medium with this franchise mode right now. Play Now has been better gameplay for me with this game. Which sucks because Play Now is absolutely pointless but it's the only mode that isn't broken. And don't say try playing MUT. No. Not sure why they put so much time into MUT when every other area of this game needs 100% more attention than it got. I'm starting to wonder if they just threw a game out quickly so they could focus on the next gen version. Maybe next gen will have some better options to make them game more realistic. Making it realistic will make it fun. Or just give the reins back to 2k so I can create my own crib again. I'd take that over MUT any day.

Went off on a rage tangent. But yes. I advocate for the vision cone. Both cpu and user to abide by it.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Why not? The vision cone was awesome. While it looked weird, it absolutely worked and I think would work way better than a cycle through system. I still wish every year that it would be brought back. They could even tweak it so that you can only throw to receivers that are within range of the cone itself to make it that much better and tougher. Unfortunately, 99% of people don't feel this way. And hell, even some of the 1% that say they do, don't really feel this way.
I don't know why so many posters are filling this thread with talk of the vision cone but the reason I'm against it is that it still used the same every receiver to a button system. It has been mentioned by various people EVERY TIME the vision cone is brought up and touted as some realistic innovation that a User could simply bypass whatever challenge it allegedly offered by just double tapping a receivers button. Also it made it actually easier for less skilled QBs to look off a defender because their cone was so narrow compared to a more skilled QB. Again QB Vision was just the same system we have now with a ridiculous looking accuracy flashlight and double tap added. I have yet to notice anyone on OS say they dislike QB vision because it was too realistic, others and I dislike it because we find it unrealistic and absurd looking to boot.

Cycle through passing, like in Tecmo Bowl, is something completely different than QB Vision.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't know why so many posters are filling this thread with talk of the vision cone but the reason I'm against it is that it still used the same every receiver to a button system. It has been mentioned by various people EVERY TIME the vision cone is brought up and touted as some realistic innovation that a User could simply bypass whatever challenge it allegedly offered by just double tapping a receivers button. Also it made it actually easier for less skilled QBs to look off a defender because their cone was so narrow compared to a more skilled QB. Again QB Vision was just the same system we have now with a ridiculous looking accuracy flashlight and double tap added. I have yet to notice anyone on OS say they dislike QB vision because it was too realistic, others and I dislike it because we find it unrealistic and absurd looking to boot.

Cycle through passing, like in Tecmo Bowl, is something completely different than QB Vision.
Probably because you brought it up in the OP.

IMO, cycle through passing seems like nothing more than a watered down version of the vision cone. How much different is it really? Instead of being penalized for throwing to a receiver you're not on, you're simply not allowed to even throw it. Instead of moving an "accuracy flashlight" or hitting RT + a receivers button, you hit a button. Outside of accuracy, there would still be no real differential in using QB's because it would still be hugely dependent on user input in terms of clicking through receivers.

I'm not saying that the vision cone is the epitome of realism when it comes to the passing game but in my opinion, despite being an eye sore, it was more realistic than a Tecmo-style cycle through would be.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

The problem with the vision cone was it wasn't realistic. I like the fact that Madden attempted to address the issue, but the cone wasn't it. However they shouldn't have stopped trying though that's what bothers me.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Probably because you brought it up in the OP.

IMO, cycle through passing seems like nothing more than a watered down version of the vision cone. How much different is it really? Instead of being penalized for throwing to a receiver you're not on, you're simply not allowed to even throw it. Instead of moving an "accuracy flashlight" or hitting RT + a receivers button, you hit a button. Outside of accuracy, there would still be no real differential in using QB's because it would still be hugely dependent on user input in terms of clicking through receivers.

I'm not saying that the vision cone is the epitome of realism when it comes to the passing game but in my opinion, despite being an eye sore, it was more realistic than a Tecmo-style cycle through would be.
Actually cycling is more realistic. It mimics a QB going through his passing progressions. Having Manning and Brady seeing basically the whole field at one time after the snap isn't realistic. They should "eye" their intended target just like any other QB to make any kind of accurate pass. Instead all they have to do is have their WR's just be inside that massive cone and magically they throw pin point passes given they aren't even looking directly at the WR.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 25

Vision cone was great. But like anything with a learning curve EA scrapped it altogether rather than leaving it as an option.

Passing will stay as is forever.... When 90% of your audience wants arcade, anything to make the game challenging will immediately be thrown out.

Which sucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Actually cycling is more realistic. It mimics a QB going through his passing progressions. Having Manning and Brady seeing basically the whole field at one time after the snap isn't realistic. They should "eye" their intended target just like any other QB to make any kind of accurate pass. Instead all they have to do is have their WR's just be inside that massive cone and magically they throw pin point passes given they aren't even looking directly at the WR.
It attempts to mimic it but there is nothing stopping you from just completely disregarding the progressions you're supposed to be making. And what happens when the play breaks down? You run out of the pocket, have a receiver standing five yards in front of you and have to cycle through four or five receivers even though this guy is spitting distance away. Things like this and certain things like check downs is where I think this system would just become infuriating and unrealistic.

In terms of magically throwing pin point passes despite not looking at the receiver, how would that be any different with cycle through passing? If I start with my receiver on the right, see my receiver on the left wide open, and cycle through to him and throw it, how is it really that much different than using the cone to go from left to right? With the god mode view, no matter what passing you use, that's always going to be an issue. IMO, cycling through is just basically seems like the equivalent to moving the cone and/or RT + your receivers button.

The vision cone was by no means perfect either but with some tweaks I think it could have been excellent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »