Home

Pocket passers

This is a discussion on Pocket passers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Pocket passers

I know lots of ppl who play Madden use teams with mobile QBs. RGIII, Cam Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson...and these guys are also on pretty good teams which means they're perfect for Madden players. But I've noticed that I don't really know anyone who uses pocket passers. I'm sure someone does, but it's pretty rare. My question is for this of you who do use pocket passers. How do u go about completing passes? I have a difficult time making reads and getting good throwing lanes unless I move out the pocket a little bit. Of course, this also gives me the option of scrambling with the QB also. I don't think I've ever use a pure pocket passer and I'm thinking you have to be really good at making reads and precision passing to be effective without a mobile QB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Pocket passers

If your pocket passing skills are lacking just bump up the accuracy slider to compensate.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Rookie

It really isn't that hard you just have to pay attention to the defensive personnel, take advantage of weak links, change tempo and play around before the snap a little. A good running game makes it easy and even with mobile QBs I usually run a pocket passing game. I think that running with the QB is best used as change of pace when there are no other options. I have franchise right now with Terrell Pryor for instance and especially now that his attributes are better, I only run with him on a few read options a game and when I'm desperate. If you stay in the pocket you basically have to run a quick strike offense, a lot of screens, slants curls, using some motion to determine what kind of defense is being run (if you send a guy in motion and the defender doesn't follow all the way they are either using zone or you have a mismatch). With a good running game, the play action is the easiest way for big plays.

I always try to develop a running QB into a passer. Just because that insurance policy of the man with ball being able to hurt you it really takes something out of the defense. Just running a couple times early makes throwing from the pocket that much easier.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Kidd708's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by josefrees
It really isn't that hard you just have to pay attention to the defensive personnel, take advantage of weak links, change tempo and play around before the snap a little. A good running game makes it easy and even with mobile QBs I usually run a pocket passing game. I think that running with the QB is best used as change of pace when there are no other options. I have franchise right now with Terrell Pryor for instance and especially now that his attributes are better, I only run with him on a few read options a game and when I'm desperate. If you stay in the pocket you basically have to run a quick strike offense, a lot of screens, slants curls, using some motion to determine what kind of defense is being run (if you send a guy in motion and the defender doesn't follow all the way they are either using zone or you have a mismatch). With a good running game, the play action is the easiest way for big plays.

I always try to develop a running QB into a passer. Just because that insurance policy of the man with ball being able to hurt you it really takes something out of the defense. Just running a couple times early makes throwing from the pocket that much easier.

I agree I play with Newton and I keep him in the pocket it make you very dangerous if to turn your runner into a accurate QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Pro

I'm not saying that I run the ball a lot. Cam only had about 400 rushing yards last season which is less than 30 rushing yards per game. I did manage to throw for 4000 yards, 30 TDs and had a 65% completion percentage. I'm just saying that I usually have to roll out of the pocket to buy time and find open receivers. I know my ability to read defenses is lacking and partly because I'm free to roll out with my QB and wait until receivers come open. It's just hard to see the entire field and what the defenders are doing when you stay in the pocket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

had kaep for ten years and he was superb - of course. he's built for madden.

i then went WCO. anthony hendricks. end of first round in the tyler mccabe draft. he's not fast, had 90 THP. developed him for three years. kaep retired. hendricks was extended before he'd even started for six years $20m. in four years we have three SBs & he has 4 MVPs.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Rookie

RAVENOUS's Arena

Learning to use the stick to throw guys open is pretty key. I also like to call some easy, short and quick routes to "get my qb going" early in the game. Screens work well, even if they don't gain much yardage, just to get a rhythm and some confidence going. I also really like those ~5 yard hitch routes.

I watch the safeties as soon as I snap the ball. If they're not dropping back into coverage, I'm getting blitzed and I know I have to get rid of the ball quickly, usually to the RB or TE. If they are dropping back, I'm trying to see if they're going 2 deep or 3 deep so I know where gaps will be, also peek at LBs to see if and where I'll have anything open over the middle. If I have time on the playclock, I might motion a guy presnap to see if he's getting followed by a defender (which = man coverage) or not (which = zone).

Certain routes will abuse certain coverages. Corner routes destroy Cover 2. Slants, hitches, and outs are great against man. Slants and hitches are also great against Cover 3 type stuff if you get the timing/window right. If I see the defense come up and press, I might hot route my fastest receiver to streak in case I have enough time in the "pocket" (pocket in quotations cuz this is Madden, after all) to hit him deep. Also, a slow/avg wide receiver with great release rating should be a good target out of press coverage regardless of what route you have called for him.

Finally, just cuz a QB is a slower pocket type passer doesn't mean he can't run for some first downs. No matter who I'm using, if I see a gap in the pass rush I can sneak through for 5+ yards and a free first down, I'm taking it.

EDIT: I should emphasize more the "throwing guys open" part. When I say hitch routes are great against man coverage, you want that ball to be in the air before your receiver is even turning around, just like IRL. If you wait til he's already "hitched" to throw the ball, it's gonna get picked. There's a timing like this for every route, really. I don't wait til my guys are running towards the sideline to throw out routes, either, I'm pressing the button as they make their cut.

Last edited by RAVENOUS; 01-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Rookie

There's no point to use pocket passers imo. Why use Peyton Manning when Josh Johnson throws the ball just as accurate. I feel that throw power is important but accuracy can be compensated for (scrambling).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »