Home

I'm now convinced...A.I. is broken

This is a discussion on I'm now convinced...A.I. is broken within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
I'm now convinced...A.I. is broken

I used to hear a lot of people say the Comp A.I. was broken on Madden. I wasn't sure what that really meant. I have used a ton of different sliders, quarter lengths, etc. in the search for an accurate (or close) season. I really liked some sliders for a while. But, inevitably, say 8 out of 10 games, the comp A.I. will do absolutely insane things to either even up the score, or rack up yardage. I have time to kill bc' I had knee surgery, so I'm doing a lot of playing. It is a freaking joke on All-Madden or All-Pro. I have seen the most absurd non-realistic plays by the computer on offense. Try three to four consecutive 80 plus yard bombs when the comp is down by 28. And this happens when I have Quarter or Dime coverage called with two to three defenders draped on the receiver, but the ball somehow passes through all defenders dropping in to the receivers hands who runs the remaining 80 yards. This happens A LOT. Or, how about stuffing the computer running back on a third and short, but the back freezes and starts to shake, and just runs parallel for 4-5 seconds, and then barely makes a first down, despite three DTs' draped on him three yards beyond the LOS. You can see it coming every time. If you are stuffing the computer, it will literally "cheat" to either even it up, or make it close. Doesn't matter what defensive play you call, or how in position you are. Totally fake.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: I'm now convinced...A.I. is broken

I have to agree with you. I recently bumped the difficulty up to All-Pro after finding Pro too easy, and the game is just frustrating. Once the CPU starts stringing first down after first down, I just put the controller down. I know the touchdown is coming. I understand that's part of the real game, but it always happens after I had been dominating defensely, keeping them to 3-and-outs. Maybe if it didn't happen practically every game, it wouldn't bother me.

I also hate how the CPU DBs grow wings on All-Pro level. My WR will be open, and then DBs will glide in from out of nowhere.

At least I haven't come across the clutch turnovers in this year's game. Something that killed last year's game for me.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

wow, the combe back AI that someone mentions on every game ever released.

Every now and then the computer will make a comback against me, but no where near every game.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
Pro

sjj2xs's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71

Every now and then the computer will make a comback against me, but no where near every game.
i said this moons ago, ea just throws a comeback ai in, instead of actually playing to the players ratings, meaning if the team is good then there is a possiblity of a comeback, cuz the good team can adjust and player ratings will matter, but for example if i'm the ravens i'm up 24-0 at the end of 3 qtrs against a weak team, my d' starts to fall apart and end up with a score of 31-28 and i win on last second fg, i know comebacks happen, but not on regular basis, specially bad teams that give up a lot of points, that's why they are bad teams, cuz they cant come back, why have multiple seasons if the player ratings factor doesnt matter. ea still doesnt understand this and just implements the comeback ai bug..........sjj2xs
Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjj2xs
i said this moons ago, ea just throws a comeback ai in, instead of actually playing to the players ratings, meaning if the team is good then there is a possiblity of a comeback, cuz the good team can adjust and player ratings will matter, but for example if i'm the ravens i'm up 24-0 at the end of 3 qtrs against a weak team, my d' starts to fall apart and end up with a score of 31-28 and i win on last second fg, i know comebacks happen, but not on regular basis, specially bad teams that give up a lot of points, that's why they are bad teams, cuz they cant come back, why have multiple seasons if the player ratings factor doesnt matter. ea still doesnt understand this and just implements the comeback ai bug..........sjj2xs
Exactly. It's one thing if the potent Redskin offense comes back on you. But literally EVERY game I've played, the comp. will make miraculous plays to either beat you, or skew your defensive stats after you've been shutting them down. That's ANY team. I play as the Cowboys (one of the top defenses), and am a pretty good player. Doesn't matter. If I'm playing the Browns and they have 24 total yards at the half, Jeff Garcia will throw for 300 yards in the second half, or their RB will reel off a couple of 50 yard TD runs, no matter what the defense plays. I wouldn't even mind losing on comebacks by the computer. What pisses me off the most is the skewing of your defensive stats because of these ridiculous plays. Is Pro level any better as far as this happening?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Pro

sjj2xs's Arena

OVR: 8

[quote=Aikman08]Exactly. It's one thing if the potent Redskin offense comes back on you. But literally EVERY game I've played, the comp. will make miraculous plays to either beat you, or skew your defensive stats after you've been shutting them down. That's ANY team. I play as the Cowboys (one of the top defenses), and am a pretty good player. Doesn't matter. If I'm playing the Browns and they have 24 total yards at the half, Jeff Garcia will throw for 300 yards in the second half, or their RB will reel off a couple of 50 yard TD runs, no matter what the defense plays. I wouldn't even mind losing on comebacks by the computer. What pisses me off the most is the skewing of your defensive stats because of these ridiculous plays. Is Pro level any better as far as this happening?[/

dude i dont think so, i played on all-madden and all-pro, and all i see is speeded up versions of the cpu teams while you stay the same (of course) and the comeback ai in effect, this is why people are moving toward espn football, i believe there into player ratings more than madden, that's why madden feels more arcade-like, if i could have the gameplay of espn and the smoothness and fluidity of madden, we could have the ultimate football game. ahhhhhhh one can only dream..........lol.....................sjj2xs
Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71

I remember there was an interview last year where one of the EA guys admitted there was comeback logic (he said CPU player ratings are boosted, IIRC). They said they tuned it down this year, and like I said, there does seem to be less clutch turnovers. Every year, fans complain about experiencing comeback logic. That says something.

As for playing on Pro level, I did not experience any comeback logic when playing on Pro. It only showed up when I switched to All-Pro.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:16 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan28
I remember there was an interview last year where one of the EA guys admitted there was comeback logic (he said CPU player ratings are boosted, IIRC). They said they tuned it down this year, and like I said, there does seem to be less clutch turnovers. Every year, fans complain about experiencing comeback logic. That says something.

As for playing on Pro level, I did not experience any comeback logic when playing on Pro. It only showed up when I switched to All-Pro.
JetsFan or anyone, can you recommend any decent Pro sliders, so it won't be completely too easy? I know I will most likely kill on Pro, but the All-Pro and All-Madden stuff is totally frustrating. This bugs me so much, I may give ESPN a shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »