Home

Doug Flutie CAP

This is a discussion on Doug Flutie CAP within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Doug Flutie CAP

So in continuing on with the CAP series, here is Doug Flutie. This CAP is of Flutie at the end of his career, 2005 New England. A little info about Flutie. You may as well say that this guy is the Fran Tarkenton of the 1990s, small undersized QB, would scramble around behind the line, wait for things to open up and make plays happen. Flutie had a notable career in the NCAA (playing for boston colleage), winning the Heisman Trophy, and is most noted for his last second hail mary to win a close game against Miami. Because of his small size (much like Tarkenton, although Tark was taller) he was figured to be drafted in the later rounds of the 1985 NFL draft and decided to play in the USFL (the 1980s equivalent to the UFL we have today) and stayed there until the league collapsed later that year. Flutie then did a stint in the NFL, first playing for Chicago and then 2 years with the Pats. After that Joe Kapp brought him up north to play for the BC Lions of the CFL. Doug Flutie is one of the best players of that league, winning 3 Grey Cups (CFL superbowl) over 8 years with two different teams (Calgary Stampeders and the Toronto Argonauts). After this he decided to return to the NFL, signing with the Buffalo bills. In 1999, he took the Bills to the playoffs, where he was benched by the coach, and the Bills lost to the eventual Superbowl-contending Tennessee Titans in the game that became known as the Music City Miracle. After the Bills cut him a year later Flutie went on to start in San Diego then became backup to a young Drew Brees. Ultimately Flutie ended his career in 2005 in New England with the Patriots where he backed up Tom Brady, and is known for finishing his career by drop-kicking an extra point, which had not been done in the NFL since 1941. Doug Flutie was an entertaining successful play maker and I think will be a fun addition to Madden. Would probably do ok on the current Bills team where there is not much of an O-line so the QB is going to end up running for his life anyways, may as well have one that does it as part of his game plan. Anyways enough about Flutie, here are his ratings, a lot of these taken from Madden 2006.

Doug Flutie QB
5'10" 180lbs.
OVR 76
STR 45
AGL 65
SPD 65
ACC 63
AWR 83
CAT 25
CAR 54
THP 78
KPW 45
KAC 45
TAK 27
PBL 17
RBL 24
JMP 54
RET 12
TRK 47
ELU 77
BCV 83
STA 40
SPM 56
JKM 66
(Impact blocking-Pass block footwork can all be 12, god help his team if he ever had to do this)
PMV 21
FMV 41
BSH 23
PUR 25
PRC 37
MCV 22
ZCV 24
SPC 14
CIT 12
RR 18
HPW 16
PRS 12
REL 12
STA 81
MTA 76
DTA 70
TOR 89
PAC 80
INJ 74
STA 92
TGH 89

again just to point out, this is Flutie at the end of his career when he was 43 years old, I am thinking on doing a circa 1998 Flutie (younger, higher ratings) and maybe even a late 80s rookie flutie (a lot of the numbers will be similar, accuracy and AWR will be lowered). Any input is appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Doug Flutie CAP

I just played through a game with Flutie as the starter for the 09 Bills. He did pretty good, didn't scramble too much though because of his low speed and accelleration. I think a younger Flutie would be really interesting running and scrambling.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

You have produced another worthwhile CAP. Is this CAP for what his ratings would be today if he had never retired?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Pro

nope this is his circa 2005 rating from madden 2006. I kind of shudder to think what flutie would look like today if he never had of retired. He is just shy of 50 years old, and as you can see in this rating, he has lost a good chunk of his mobility that made him great. I think a 1999 Flutie would probably come in at 84-86 OVR. I am having problems though getting the computer to use him properly, same with tarkenton, they never run out of the pocket unless it falls apart even though they are scrambling QBs.

Also no Jump, throw like Flutie used to do.

Last edited by bobthenailer; 08-09-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 3

I had forgotten how old Flutie would be. His son plays WR or TE for Boston College. I think he is a starter but I do not know that he is good enough to one day play in the NFL like his dad.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »