Home

Madden 13 vs NFL Football "game speed" comparison Thread video included!

This is a discussion on Madden 13 vs NFL Football "game speed" comparison Thread video included! within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 13 vs NFL Football "game speed" comparison Thread video included!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
I currently readjusted my threshold last night to help the cpu rushing to nice results.
I feel that very slow with a 75 threshold best represents what I want to see.

IMO....a higher setting (slow,normal,fast and very fast) makes the game to "jerky" in the animation department. On very slow (at least to me) it feels like the players actually have weight to them.

Of course this is all my opinion,and in no way am I a "guru",but I do know what I want to see,and with my adjustments I'm seeing just that.

Nice test's
the Gospel of Madden lives on... Props on your SPEEDTHRESH & GAMESPEED choices....
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Slow Speed video uploaded
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

excellent idea OP.

My question to those who play with higher speed thresholds and report the game looking smoother, does it actually play smoother (e.g. AI RB running better and not into their own guys)?

I do not think speed threshold alters a RBs ability to find holes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

Man that very slow 60 thresh looks amazing to me.

Especially on broadcast cam.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
Rookie

Sidion's Arena

OVR: 15

Hmm I'm assuming this is in an online CCM?

I've been messing around heavily with game speed, threshold doesn't seem to do anything for me. I've tried putting it to 0 on very fast/very slow, and then doing it on 100 very fast/very slow... I notice players separating/outrunning defenders on 0... But no actual *speed* changes.

IE on thresh 100 the slower guys seem to run as fast as the faster guys... Where as on 0 the slower guys slow down, while faster guys run the same as they did on 100.

Is speed threshold supposed to slow/speed the pace of the game like game speed?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
Rookie

I see that "slow" speed on here looks the most authentic to the NFL game. My reason is that if any faster than as you said it looks more like you are actually on the field in the game looking literally from the player's perspective. I believe the "broadcast" camera in Madden relative to the game's speed might fit better with "very slow" or "slow", but for the "standard" camera I believe "slow" is the best. Any slower and everything just starts to look dead. The ball hangs in the air too long and things of that nature. This is all purely from a visual standpoint as it doesn't really affect the game's "actual" speed difference between players. Pretty much a play may end faster on a higher "game speed" level but a lot of the same results will happen.

The only significant variable when choosing "game speed" is the human eye's ability to detect what is happening in the game fast enough for the brain to react (such as with Qb play). It also may in some ways affect how the cpu is able to process a given scenario (such as with an o-linemen acting out a blocking animation).

The fundamental flaw here relative to the actual gameplay is that most people on here making sliders try and compensate or should I say compromise actual speed differences between players for realism (or what they perceive as being real i.e. game stats). The reality is that most people WANT the players to have the ability to break one big at any given moment due to speed and just quickness in general (virtually impossible with super high "speed threshold"). I see that most are willing to sacrifice that "explosive" type of gameplay for the sake of realistic statistics in the game, not knowing that you can have your cake and eat it too.

The real problem (I'm sure even those who do not agree with my "speed threshold" setting) is that elements like "player reaction" are not set up correctly therefore we have to constantly worry about easily being able to "turn the corner" which is not a usual occurrence at the beginning of a football game (defense is too fresh). So, to compensate for this fear we set the "speed threshold" way up so that even if the defense doesn't react quickly as they should be to a play (usually run plays) then the user is usually able to just take a sweep/toss for 30+ yards at will. Not realizing that though it is more difficult to do it they should REALLY be focusing on the other elements of the game to help with this issue, and not taking the easy route of setting the "speed threshold" super high. Of course though...to each his own.

By the way "King Gro23", I put my "speed threshold" up by a point seeing that this made the largest difference with speed differences without taking away a player's explosiveness (if he has it). Percy Harvin will still blow past a guy but more specific to "turning the corner" this is the saving grace so to speak as long as your sliders are set to compliment it. Simply beautiful my friend.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #15
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Very excellent post my friend, I agree with your opinions. You depicted the perfect image of a theory based around how similar gamers like me and you want or realize what is offered in the game of football in real life. We all know we really want to feel the power of being feared and respected because of your speed. I also know for the sake of madden what need's to be sacraficed.
Until proper techniquesstand per position, and multiple techniques and tendencies are tracked by real league insides and data then speed will always trump other aspects of video games. If all the fundamentals of football and a physics standpoint of the movements of the game were improved from a animation stand point and physics standpoint then the sacrifice could be vouched for. . and football is a beautiful game my friend! That's why only few men can actually complete and contend with the craft of being the best player in the world

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #16
Rookie

I have the following available for trade or coins.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »