Home

Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

This is a discussion on Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

I'd like to see the offense have to choose the player personnel package prior to selecting a play. Then it would take a set amount of time, I'm guessing 7 seconds or so, for the new players to filter into the huddle.

The benefits:

The defense can always know who's on the field, even before the offense calls their play. This is realistic because in reality the defense can see who's standing on the huddle, who is leaving it and who is entering it. It also gives the defense a realistic amount of time to call a play. You could basically remove the defensive play call counter (after offense calls play) since they would have the necessary information about offensive personnel sooner.

Example:

The offense has just run a play with 1 RB, 2 TE and 2 WR. On defense in the playcall screen you immediately see 1 RB, 2 TE and 2 WR when preparing for the next play. If the offense chooses another package, say 1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WR then the defensive playcall screen is immediately updated to reflect this. Since it takes 7 seconds for the package transition to occur the defense has plenty of time to make a play call in real time.

At minimum the defense has a total of 13 seconds to call a play since it takes 7 seconds for new players to enter the offensive huddle and another 6 seconds to line up. The defensive play call screen should stay visible until the offense if fully lined up. This also means the defense stays partially huddled so it's important to get your play call done before the offense lines up.

The result is a faster paced game where the offense doesn't have to sit for 10 seconds after every play call waiting for the defense to make a decision. The offensive player also needs to be smart in his package decisions since you could call in a certain package, change your mind and call in another package which would mean wasting extra seconds off the play clock waiting for players to enter the huddle.

The defense also needs to consider how long it takes to get personnel onto the field. They have to make their decision immediately after the offense makes a change. Otherwise they could be stuck with players running on/off the field while the offense is lining up.

Another interesting strategic item to consider is if the offense quickly huddles and calls a play using the same personnel as the previous play, the defense is best advised to keep their same personnel. Otherwise they risk getting quick snapped before subs are in position.

Last edited by Sigma4Life; 08-20-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

Ya know what Sigma, that is a really darn good idea.

for you!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67
Re: Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

I like this idea. Keep thinking of more.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Banned

newmoon's Arena

OVR: 5

It's a good idea, but I'm actually happy with the amount of time we were given this year to call plays it makes for a more realistic game
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I dig it! I'd love to see subs running on & off.

In additon...
  • Allow the offense to see packages by detail or by name. Ex. 2 WRs, 1 TE & 2 RBs or Base.
  • Put the offensive package in the defenses play call screen.
  • When audibling, allow us to call all/only plays for that package so WRs are not lining up at FB.
  • Also when audibling, don't make WRs switch sides.
  • Huddle the defense on the ball, not 10 yards back like the offense. And don't make the DL & LB jog to their position.
  • Make the current bluff option the default. And consider adding 4 more plays & buttons.
  • Give us separate no-huddle & hurry-up options. No-huddle offenses should not be in as much of a hurry, and hurry-up offense should get to the line much slower than now.
  • Give WRs their positions... flanker, split end and slot. Only Indy to my knowledge keeps their WRs on one side of the field most of the time.

Not all sub related, but play call related.

If EA can do this & a tier play calling system for the defense, that's another major step towards simulation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon
It's a good idea, but I'm actually happy with the amount of time we were given this year to call plays it makes for a more realistic game
Nothing more realistic than recreating what's done in the NFL. The defense may have a little less total time, but they'll have plenty. The defense will just be forced to base its calls on the package instead of waiting to see what play the offense picks. 13 seconds is plenty of time.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Actually I think I was a little stingy with my time estimates. It takes the offense about 8 seconds to snap the ball from the moment it breaks the huddle, up from the 6 seconds I mentioned in the OP. I know this because if I call my play with 7 seconds left on the play clock it's a delay of game penalty every time

As a result, the defense would have a minimum of 15 seconds to call a play if the offense changes their personnel. If the offense doesn't change personnel then the defense has a minimum of 8 seconds. Keep in mind that these are minimum times, which means the defense usually will have much more time than this. The important change is that the defense makes their play call in real-time instead of pausing the game for up to 15 seconds after each offensive play call.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17

very good idea. I was thinking of something similar when i was playing one of the only online games i have played so far. No reason why this should not get implemented next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »