Home

My pass defense/pass rush is horrible...

This is a discussion on My pass defense/pass rush is horrible... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
My pass defense/pass rush is horrible...

Ok I am playing in Franchise mode as the Eagles. Having 3 DB's with 90+ rating, and having a DL w/all 85+ ratings, and yet I can never get to the QB, and my pass coverage is horrendous. Garbage QB's get like 80% completion rate, and I have yet to get my own sack in about 15 games

Now I know I don't suck, in 08 I could put up 100+ points on the computer if I really wanted to (but that was the PC version), and this is my first time playing it on the console since 03'.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, I have tried zone/man/blitzing/double teaming #1's press coverage and just about anything else you can think of.

Anyone able to give me some techniques on getting to the QB with say Trent Cole? I normally let the CPU play the DB's since I am horrible in coverage lol.

I try to time using the LB and RB moves as soon as I engage, I will even try sprinting too. I am so lost on defense it is making me NUTS!!

BTW this is the 360 version I am talking about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: My pass defense/pass rush is horrible...

All I would say is keep changing it up to find what works against certain teams. If you're consistently getting beaten in man coverage, then try zone, man/zone, combo coverage with blitz variations of each. Try shifting your defenders (DL,LB's,DB's) around to place strength where you think the ball will go on a given play. I'm getting a very good experience right now with custom sliders that evolved from my early Madden IQ scores. In franchise I usually place a premium on defensive players with good speed as well as good on the basic attributes associated with that position (for example tackling and awareness for LBs, man/zone coverage for DB's). I like guys who can get to the ball quick. I usually do extensive re-arranging of the roster when I start a franchise and I look for the above-mentioned types of players. When my matchups and scheme is solid i'm able to force just about any offense into a grinding grudge match. But sometimes you just have to try and hang with certain teams and put up enough points to come out on top (NE).

You might never find something that completely shuts down an opposing qb. But sometimes you just have to find the scheme that simply allows the least amount of damage (against offenses like NE and Indy). It just takes time.

By the way, Patrick Willis for San Fran is a freakin beast in this game.

Last edited by metallicatz; 08-23-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I feel your pain. I am the first one to applaud the better oline play as so far nano blitzing seems to be severly minimalized which is good for the head to head gamers! However so far I have not found a way to get any pressure on a qb. Even when I call blitzes they dont seem to work unless they are running playaction. I use the 4-6 playbook. Im usually not one to try to lab up a blitz but I have to figure something out here as none of the stock blitz seem to provide any real pressure.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang
Ok I am playing in Franchise mode as the Eagles. Having 3 DB's with 90+ rating, and having a DL w/all 85+ ratings, and yet I can never get to the QB, and my pass coverage is horrendous. Garbage QB's get like 80% completion rate, and I have yet to get my own sack in about 15 games

Now I know I don't suck, in 08 I could put up 100+ points on the computer if I really wanted to (but that was the PC version), and this is my first time playing it on the console since 03'.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, I have tried zone/man/blitzing/double teaming #1's press coverage and just about anything else you can think of.

Anyone able to give me some techniques on getting to the QB with say Trent Cole? I normally let the CPU play the DB's since I am horrible in coverage lol.

I try to time using the LB and RB moves as soon as I engage, I will even try sprinting too. I am so lost on defense it is making me NUTS!!

BTW this is the 360 version I am talking about.
Everyone in here needs to stop complaining and look at the slider forum. There are sets of sliders that make this game very realistic.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

dude dont worry you are not the only one. i get frustrated when you are about to sack the qb but some way some how he throws it at the last second a gets a completion. the qbs complete about 80% of the passes too. the only incomplete passes come from drop balls and ints. i do have some ints but sacks i would say one every two or three games sometimes.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »