Home

Must Read this critical review on EA's own forum!!

This is a discussion on Must Read this critical review on EA's own forum!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Must Read this critical review on EA's own forum!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I can see how you might be frustrated, but think of it in terms of the consumer. I mean, this is the only NFL game, and the fact that we are on 2009 and you can throw a pass over the line of scrimmage is pretty sad. Considering that when you play 2k5 (published in 2004), they had ALL of the actual penalties in the NFL. You also can't run 10 yards out of bounds, come back in and then catch a TD pass in that game. I think you are doing a good job Ian, but I can't blame people for being pissed off. This is what you get when you have exclusivity. It would be one thing if Madden was really WOWING us every year, but expectations have gotten so low now, that people are getting content with things that are slightly above average. Madden 09 is a "good" game, but at this point and with the access you guys have to the NFL, it should be a GREAT game, and it isn't. It's not even as good as NFL 2k5 was yet, and that's really unacceptable. I am not one to favor a company, I just want a good football game to play, as most people do. However, until Madden starts truly resembling real football, and as long as you have the exclusive license, you need to be willing to accept this type of criticism. The fact that you are letting it piss you off is not a good way to react either, instead, you should take the personal attacks with a grain of salt, and take a step back and say, "How do we blow our fans away next year with this game?".
Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
This guy posts a few total inaccuracies though - and he's using me to look like an idiot which really pi$$es me off as well.

He makes this sound like a massive issue when it is in fact not. This is extremely hard to reproduce and was resolved in the best way possible...

Total BS. This glitch is getting eliminated, despite this totally slanted negativity and skepticism.

Really? Pathetically horrible that we try to figure out an issue and fix it?

Again, totally uneducated and incorrect statement.

I respect this guy's rights to write whatever he wants, but he's making a lot of assumptions and stating them as fact, which is just not cool in my opinion.

Am I off base for getting frustrated with an article like this?
Let me rephrase my point -

His opinion is his own. There are plenty that share it, and he is definitely off base on a few of them. I was definitely not agreeing with him.

But his points are, at least, thought out. Using you in the posts is not warranted. I think the base of that is your name is the one that is on the forefront. Not an excuse for him, and you are damn right on him calling you out being asinine.

On my side of it, it's better than what people have been coming here lately with.

Oh, and welcome back, Ian.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

and on a side note Ian, were you even totally involved in 09? I thought someone said you came on board late, which kind of sucks cause your taking all the heat. Guess its tough being the "face of the franchise"
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I can see how you might be frustrated, but think of it in terms of the consumer. I mean, this is the only NFL game, and the fact that we are on 2009 and you can throw a pass over the line of scrimmage is pretty sad. Considering that when you play 2k5 (published in 2004), they had ALL of the actual penalties in the NFL. You also can't run 10 yards out of bounds, come back in and then catch a TD pass in that game. I think you are doing a good job Ian, but I can't blame people for being pissed off. This is what you get when you have exclusivity. It would be one thing if Madden was really WOWING us every year, but expectations have gotten so low now, that people are getting content with things that are slightly above average. Madden 09 is a "good" game, but at this point and with the access you guys have to the NFL, it should be a GREAT game, and it isn't. It's not even as good as NFL 2k5 was yet, and that's really unacceptable. I am not one to favor a company, I just want a good football game to play, as most people do. However, until Madden starts truly resembling real football, and as long as you have the exclusive license, you need to be willing to accept this type of criticism. The fact that you are letting it piss you off is not a good way to react either, instead, you should take the personal attacks with a grain of salt, and take a step back and say, "How do we blow our fans away next year with this game?".
I have two issues with this. Ian is human. I know common thought around here is that he is a game developer, so he is just a robot coming here to spout his company line, but that simply isn't true. All the bashing will grate on a guy, especially when his life is dedicated to making a game better, and he is actually here trying to do that.

My other issue is with the 2k5 being better than Madden comment, but I am going to save that for something coming soon. I will say this (and DO NOT turn this into 2k5, this is more a preview for something of mine I hope to come) - it took a lot of users a lot of time to put 2k5 where it is now. I challenge anyone to just pop in 2k5 with no roster rating updates and tell me it's a great game (anyone remember DB's being completely moronic before ratings changes?). Again, that is a topic for another time.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

Wow what a read that was.

I agree with him on most things I guess.

I've owned Madden 08 and 09 on PS3. None of them have been able to deliver the experiences I had with Madden 04 and 07 (On PS2 and only other Madden's i've owned).

Every year you play a Madden, and you think "aw man, this feature isnt working properly or isnt so great" then you start thinking, wow imagine how the next Madden will be when they fix these things.

Well im a big Franchise person and I was so disappointed with Madden 09's Franchise. Don't get me wrong I really love how they've fixed the stats up but everything else is seriously the same as 08 IMO.

I really hope patches can fix some things and then Madden 10 can deliver the whole experience - Fun working franchise, a fresh new approach to superstar mode, and just in general something that will be fun to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

I would like to respond to the post. Would this offend me if I worked on the game? A bit. Would this upset me? Yes. But, if I were a game developer, working on the most powerful sports title of all-time, you must read the critque and decide what points are valid. You have to take the "****" with the "sugar." Perhaps the tone in sections is juvenile, but the message does have some validity. I am the guy that posted the "Madden Misses the Mark, Constructive criticism attached." I must agree with some of his points -

USELESS PLAYER RATINGS - not only do I agree (no way any QB would except Oakland's Russell could truck a DE or LB. But that's not even the point. The point is that they wouldn't try. The QB (if controlled by the CPU) should be programmed to slide (unless it was a mandatory attempt to get a first down late in the game). This goes to the AI complaint he had later; I'll address that shortly. Furthermore, who cares what Pennington's kick power rating is? Get rid of the ratings that just don't matter to certain positions, and make it easier for the gamer to quickly see the ratings that do matter to each position.

AI by the CPU - it is poor at times that are critical -
* Poor logic on 4th down with regard to distance and time of game
* Poor logic in the 2-minute mode (especially since 2 minutes is a lifetime in Madden). I've always felt that the CPU should go into "2-minute mode" with 1 minute left in each half.
* Punting by the CPU is horrendous - they rarely pin you deep or punt to the coffin corner. Instead, they shank it off the side of the foot way too often, especially if you call a punt block.

CPU quick snap - he's right' it is way too quick and it's the same each time. It needs to be variable, or at least give the gamer the choice to make it variable in the options menu.

Weather - he doesn't actually say it in his post, but I'll repeat my gripe - it needs to affect the game more with regards to running, passing and kicking.

Challenge Play - though it comes up as an option from time to time, it's completely missing. I should be able to challenge what I want, not what the computer recognizes. I imagine this must be a very tough one to program.

Uniforms - he's right, this should be a no-brainer. There should not be issues with this, and there continue to be.

I think the gamers gripe because the thought is that the main issues raised seem to be things that are basic in quality control and testing. Things that should not be overlooked. This is why it's frustrating. And I'll repeat what I've said before, if your tagline is going to be, "it's in the game," then dang-it, put it in the game!

Some suggestions for 2010 -

1. Get all of the old gen options back into the game.
2. Make the ratings really matter, especially at QB
3. Get rid of the fluff that takes disk space such as Superstar mode
4. ATMOSPHERE must be a huge priority
5. Weather needs to matter
6. FG kicking must be overhauled - it should be "easy" from 40 yards in, but should get dramatically harder as distance increases and pressure mounts
6. Plays - we need more! Give us the option to pick from "packages" of plays from week to week; this would be so cool in Franchise; so you can "gameplan" a bit more for each week's opponent.
7. If you're going to have online "leagues", do it the right way, not half way
8. Use more guys to beta test your game during the cycle, and TEST AGAINST THE CPU, not just Human to Human.

We all want what EA wants - A GREAT FOOTBALL GAME. Not a good game, not a so-so game, A GREAT GAME. Give us that and your sales will soar, and your reputation will rise. A win-win for all.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 28
Icon14 Re: Must Read this critical review on EA's own forum!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmarkjen
I would like to respond to the post. Would this offend me if I worked on the game? A bit. Would this upset me? Yes. But, if I were a game developer, working on the most powerful sports title of all-time, you must read the critque and decide what points are valid. You have to take the "****" with the "sugar." Perhaps the tone in sections is juvenile, but the message does have some validity. I am the guy that posted the "Madden Misses the Mark, Constructive criticism attached." I must agree with some of his points -

USELESS PLAYER RATINGS - not only do I agree (no way any QB would except Oakland's Russell could truck a DE or LB. But that's not even the point. The point is that they wouldn't try. The QB (if controlled by the CPU) should be programmed to slide (unless it was a mandatory attempt to get a first down late in the game). This goes to the AI complaint he had later; I'll address that shortly. Furthermore, who cares what Pennington's kick power rating is? Get rid of the ratings that just don't matter to certain positions, and make it easier for the gamer to quickly see the ratings that do matter to each position.

AI by the CPU - it is poor at times that are critical -
* Poor logic on 4th down with regard to distance and time of game
* Poor logic in the 2-minute mode (especially since 2 minutes is a lifetime in Madden). I've always felt that the CPU should go into "2-minute mode" with 1 minute left in each half.
* Punting by the CPU is horrendous - they rarely pin you deep or punt to the coffin corner. Instead, they shank it off the side of the foot way too often, especially if you call a punt block.

CPU quick snap - he's right' it is way too quick and it's the same each time. It needs to be variable, or at least give the gamer the choice to make it variable in the options menu.

Weather - he doesn't actually say it in his post, but I'll repeat my gripe - it needs to affect the game more with regards to running, passing and kicking.

Challenge Play - though it comes up as an option from time to time, it's completely missing. I should be able to challenge what I want, not what the computer recognizes. I imagine this must be a very tough one to program.

Uniforms - he's right, this should be a no-brainer. There should not be issues with this, and there continue to be.

I think the gamers gripe because the thought is that the main issues raised seem to be things that are basic in quality control and testing. Things that should not be overlooked. This is why it's frustrating. And I'll repeat what I've said before, if your tagline is going to be, "it's in the game," then dang-it, put it in the game!

Some suggestions for 2010 -

1. Get all of the old gen options back into the game.
2. Make the ratings really matter, especially at QB
3. Get rid of the fluff that takes disk space such as Superstar mode
4. ATMOSPHERE must be a huge priority
5. Weather needs to matter
6. FG kicking must be overhauled - it should be "easy" from 40 yards in, but should get dramatically harder as distance increases and pressure mounts
6. Plays - we need more! Give us the option to pick from "packages" of plays from week to week; this would be so cool in Franchise; so you can "gameplan" a bit more for each week's opponent.
7. If you're going to have online "leagues", do it the right way, not half way
8. Use more guys to beta test your game during the cycle, and TEST AGAINST THE CPU, not just Human to Human.

We all want what EA wants - A GREAT FOOTBALL GAME. Not a good game, not a so-so game, A GREAT GAME. Give us that and your sales will soar, and your reputation will rise. A win-win for all.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #24
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Ian,

I would look at it like, "hey...maybe we need to get to work and bust our asses next time". I'd take this as a challenge. I'd stop and rethink the entire game plan because it's obviously not working. Sure, you're selling alot of copies, and sure, the suits are happy. But EA has deep pockets, and I can't see Madden not getting the financial resources it needs if the devs WANTED to do whatever it took to bring the game back to it's '05 glory.

Look, no matter how good something is, there's always an under current and always someone somewhere that doesn't like it. But this isn't an undercurrent anymore. This is a building wave and it's grown far too big for it to be shrugged off as small fries. The reason the negativity is getting this intense and constant is because it IS valid, and the game needs serious attention given to it next year. My advice, again, would be to shut the majority up by delivering a product that is far and beyond what people expected. Study what everyone wants, talk to major gaming media like EGM/IGN etc. and really bust your asses. In the end, that's the only way you're going to get all of this crap to stop.

P.S....I am aware you're only one developer, but it's just a thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »