Home

What Do You Like / Dislike About Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on What Do You Like / Dislike About Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
What Do You Like / Dislike About Franchise Mode?

Since no thread has been created for the most popular mode in the game, here it is.

Maybe they will pay attention to this since it is worded similarly to the Superstar Mode and Online Mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Rookie

TD73's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: What Do You Like / Dislike About Franchise Mode?

My two main dislikes about it are no in game saves and no acc. clock in this mode still.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

While stats are better this year, they are still far from good IMO (Albeit WAY better than 08, so they deserve credit for the big leap in just a year).

Right now they don't really allow for record breaking or close to record breaking seasons.

All the top QBs finish with close to 2 TDs per game. Youd like to see on occasions a player throw 42TDs or whatever (and then be acknowledged that he is good, which comes soon, progression).

The completion % is too high, The lowest ive had in a season is JaMarcus Russell with 56%, the rest are over 60%.

Wide Receivers are the ones who are always similar and dont have big seasons, there is always the top 5 being with 11TD and on occasion you will get a couple with 12 or 13.

There should be half sacks next year as well.

Progression. What is there now is no good for those of us who start new franchises all the time and sim them and always seeing the same players progress the same.

There has to be something more dynamic. I don't want to start 10 franchises and see Matt Ryan progress + 5 in each of them.

Oh and EVERY single player should be able to progress and regress, I don't think ive seen Tarvaris Jackson do either in my countless number of franchises.

One thing that annoys me is coaches schemes, they don't adjust to the players you have, for example, with the current roster updates Tom Brady is out for the season yet the Patriots still want their pass to run ratio to be 60:40 So perhaps look into coach stats/schemes to be updated with roster updates.

Buying players, it is to easy to go buy the top 5 free agents, perhaps there should be something like NFL Head Coach where if they don't understand the way the team plays they are no longer rated so high until their understanding of how the team works is better.

Other people know much more about drafts and all, but seeing the Vikings with 5 RB after an off season is silly, and also once again with progression, 3 seasons into a franchise it is almost all rookie QBs because they progress so well all the time.

Oh, and have generated faces for rookies! No more blank screen.

Anyway they are probably the most important things to me.

1. Progression/Regression
2. Stats
3. Coaches stats/schemes
4. Free Agency
5. Drafts

EDIT: Oh, and something for me that would make things more smooth is have something like hotkeys. So I dont have to go on each individual game and press down 3 times and press sim game, so perhaps a shortcut button when that is pressed it will sim the game (or whatever else you assign to that button)

And overall presentation of the menus, it is all so boring and you dont feel like you are in a franchise bar a few clip boards in the background.

Make looking at the box scores better, scrolling across to see a bunch of stats isnt fun.

Then a bunch of other things like power rankings, I enjoyed the radio dude from PS2. And other things would be like a countdown daily show would be cool.

Last edited by Jono078; 10-28-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Rookie

y2j469's Arena

OVR: 3

The draft and free agency needs alot of work IMO. The last time I played francise mode was a head scratcher. In my second year the Colts released Peyton Manning, Joseph Addi and Robert Mathis...and nobody signs them in free agency. Watching the Bears draft a RB 3 straight years in the first round while Forte was a 91 overall also seems a bit off.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

I like the Franchise in Madden - I think they could go more indepth like bring back the Hot Dog prices and stuff. MLB The Show has that where you can raise prices and stuff, very time consuming but it is very fun, I had the Kansas City Royals up there in the budget. Stuff like that is fun for true Football fans like myself. Next Gen has a good start with the training modes, the 40 yard dash - how about a Gauntlet to improve Break Tackle, Seven Man Sled to improve Hit Power, Tire Run to improve Footwork...

Bring back TONY BRUNO and the radio. How awesome was it to hear the Jaguars Jack Del Rio being interviewed about being in the Super Bowl.

New thing I thought about called "Irrelevant Factor" (name subject to change). Before each game they will tell you what player needs to be a factor and who you should use more.. so say like you got Randy Moss and Wes Welker as your top recievers... the highlight reel will tell you that if you get atleast 4 catches for 60+ yards with i dont know Chad Jackson on the Patriots, you will get these many points added to the Ring Builder. Don't nessecarily have to do it, but it'll help bring out the nobodies... i mean look at Anquan Boldin he was like a 6th round pick and he is phenominal or this guy on the Rams Donnie Avery that no one ever heard of - TOM BRADY.

For quarterback, to get a nobody off the bench - before each game the "Irrelevant Factor" would say: "If Jon Kitna is sacked atleast 5 times, he will be injured and the back-up will take over. Get atleast 250 yards passing and throw atleast 2 touchdowns." Now that would bring out a nobody and by next season you will have a Quarterback Controversy and pre-season battle. Who knows just an idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

1. Ratings don't matter.
2. IR doesn't work.
3. Tom Brady in free agency.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 29

A few things that have come to my mind have already been covered by some of you, so here are mine.

I LIKE-
1) I like the statistical improvments from last year (no more INTx2).

2) Free Agency running out of players is fixed (Now teams just don't pick players up...lol)

I DISLIKE (Or Franchise Needs)-
The first things that come to mind are real life NFL occurences

1) Presentation!!!!! - There needs to be more time put into commentator voices. Rivalry games are HUGE. You put the Clutch Game option in the game, problem is you have absolutely no Clutch Presentation in the game. To the commentators it is just another game!

1a) The lacking story of a season- in real life there are always stories that pop up. (Pacman in trouble again, Brady out for Season, Winslow and the Browns all die from Staph infections/ MRSA and call out management)... Where is the feeling? Where is the story? WHERE IS THE PRESENTATION?!?!?!

2) Coaches get fired in mid-season (IE- Mike Nolan)- So if I want to fire Romeo Crennel and hire Bill Cowher I should be able to.

2a) Why isn't Bill Cowher in the Available coaches section?

3) Quarterbacks are benched for lacking performance (See JT O'Sullivan)- While some may not be benched (IE- Mannings or Romo because of ratings) there should be no hesitance in benching a QB in the mid/low 80s or 70s for a 5 INT performance.

4) Running a team as GM, Coach or Owner is more difficult than simply giving a player the first amount of money that pops up. There are usually negotiations, hold outs and a slew of other things that go into it. There should be an option for different difficulties in Franchise/Owner mode for finances and General Manager stuff.

4a) Player Morale is huge in the locker room and on the field. I see Morale on each of the players but it doesn't actually do anything. Winslow has very low morale compared to the rest of his team but when it comes gametime, all is good and there are no effects.

5) In game injuries are too few and not severe enough. I have seen Hines Ward lay a hit on Keith Rivers and break his jaw but the only time that ever happens in Madden is during a simmed game. Never in a single game I have played has a player been out for more than 3-4 weeks. I would like to see some actual injuries based on where players are hit and how they land. If I pummel Romo with a DE, LB or even a SS there should be a chance of concussion for the Romo or any QB.

Please make it so not EVERY WR gets right up after getting spun upside down and landing on his head. There should be hurt necks or concussions.

This is just my short list of what I am thinking at the moment
Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

i hate how studs get cutt in their prime, Tom Brady, Randy Moss, just to name a few from one of my franchises...

the draft NEEDS TO BE FIXED... why would the Colts release peyton manning then draft a QB in the 1st round??? why would the Bear draft HB's when Forte is a 93??? it just doesn't make sensce... i belive C++ programing, has a simple "if / then" language script that could fix this issue, ie: if team a has HB > 85 team A draft HB....

Free agents are way to easy to sign, but, you can run into big trouble early in your chise if you don't pay attention to the cap, so, maybe there should be a Cap Advisor or something like that...

when you move a team you should be able to keep the team logo, and colors, as it is now, you have to use some stupid default EA logo, like the sharks or something...

how about custom unis, like the ps2 version had, where you can change your team uniforms to your liking...

bring back the "OWNER MODE" and i mean really bring it back, i want to change prices, and make money, as an nfl owner... i want to make changes to my stadium, and i want to be able to see those changes in the games... if i play with the packers, and i decide to change from grass to turf, i want to see turt the next season i play... i want to be able to add seats, add a roof, or build a new stadium without having to move my franchise...

psn - CeeGee

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »