Home

Next Gen Football...where's the "fun"?

This is a discussion on Next Gen Football...where's the "fun"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #41
Rookie

dredogg90's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Next Gen Football...where's the "fun"?

This is the next generation of football games. Can we atleast see the faces of the players without their helmets on? None of the players look like their real life counter parts. There is no individualism. There are no close ups of the players and I think EA is being lazy and doesn't want to scan the faces of the players into the game. It feels generic. The name says "Romo", but the player looks nothing like Tony Romo. In 2k5 when you went to edit a player, at least you knew who you were editing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 25

This issue with MADDEN (Hence next gen football as there is no other) is what we are already aware of.....

NO competition......EA puts LESS and LESS time in from year to year and only focuses on the CASUAL/NEW players. What we have now posing as NFL football is NEW to them since most dont know any better.

SIM or QUALITY football which resembles the ACTUAL game is GONE til we have competition again. The series has been dumbed down for the casual players and the quality of the game has fallen.

No other reason...
No other excuses
NOTHING....The above is THEE only reasons why we have the pile we have.

We STILL have the same engine from 2001 (slightly modified.) FACT. And the engine is why we STILL have issues we had back then.

EA has cut MADDENS budget considerably...WHY? WE all know

EA uses testers who have NO CLUE about the game and ONLY test stability and dont know ANYTHING about the game (outsourced as well).

EA copies and pastes 1 year to the next and LIES openly to us about changes and additions. (cant put lipstick on a pig)

EA focuses on NEW and CASUAL fans...Younger fans of the GAME not the sport. They want QUICK ARCADE games where BOTH players score a Ton of points.

SIM players are NOT EVEN CONSIDERED AT ALL when it comes to features or gameplay.

EA should just slap the EA BIG logo on this already ARCADE game.

I am just sick of...4 yrs without any quality fooyball titles.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
This issue with MADDEN (Hence next gen football as there is no other) is what we are already aware of.....

NO competition......EA puts LESS and LESS time in from year to year and only focuses on the CASUAL/NEW players. What we have now posing as NFL football is NEW to them since most dont know any better.

SIM or QUALITY football which resembles the ACTUAL game is GONE til we have competition again. The series has been dumbed down for the casual players and the quality of the game has fallen.

No other reason...
No other excuses
NOTHING....The above is THEE only reasons why we have the pile we have.

We STILL have the same engine from 2001 (slightly modified.) FACT. And the engine is why we STILL have issues we had back then.

EA has cut MADDENS budget considerably...WHY? WE all know

EA uses testers who have NO CLUE about the game and ONLY test stability and dont know ANYTHING about the game (outsourced as well).

EA copies and pastes 1 year to the next and LIES openly to us about changes and additions. (cant put lipstick on a pig)

EA focuses on NEW and CASUAL fans...Younger fans of the GAME not the sport. They want QUICK ARCADE games where BOTH players score a Ton of points.

SIM players are NOT EVEN CONSIDERED AT ALL when it comes to features or gameplay.

EA should just slap the EA BIG logo on this already ARCADE game.

I am just sick of...4 yrs without any quality fooyball titles.
yikes....get angry much?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredogg90
This is the next generation of football games. Can we atleast see the faces of the players without their helmets on? None of the players look like their real life counter parts. There is no individualism. There are no close ups of the players and I think EA is being lazy and doesn't want to scan the faces of the players into the game. It feels generic. The name says "Romo", but the player looks nothing like Tony Romo. In 2k5 when you went to edit a player, at least you knew who you were editing.
The Fifa series does this. I don't have 09, but in Fifa 08, for most of the big name players and teams, you can instantly tell who it is. Another thing they do great is running style, and free kicks/penalties. Most big name players have their own run-style. Ronaldo (Man united) has great speed but takes very short steps. Most big-name players have unique free kick techniques.

If this was translated into Madden in the form of unique faces, throwing techniques, and running styles etc it would be pretty cool.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #45
All Star

OVR: 33

Fifa has unique techniques and styles for all the big name players.

Most of the generic players are the same, but they are differenitated still.

You can instantly recognize Ronaldo because of the way he runs, cuts, shoots, etc.

Ronaldinho because of his unmistakable hair.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 9

The game of football, x's and o's, is not exciting at all times. GREAT HB's average 4 yards a carry. Bad offenses punt often. Good defenses play field positioning. Big plays and big hits are infrequent.

The loss that EA takes making the game purely SIM is that you lose that constant, non-stop fun-factor. True sim individuals get their "fun" out of gameplanning, strategy, skill, and outsmarting the opponent. Some games may be ugly.

EA is caught in between a mix of the two. They claim to be moving towards SIM, but they are still stuck in the gaming world of fun" and what it creates is a half-sim product that is distorted by fluke/cheese occurences because it's not a finished product.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #47
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Homie your missing the whole point about the vision cone. While your concerns was that your opponents saw who u was staring down , is the same exact reason why I love it. You know how many times I looked one way to make the oppoenet go away from where I wanted to throw. It was insane. The vision cone made routes like the chair route a success, or the pump and go. The Vision cone was insane and very realistic to use.

I would stare down a slot wr doing a out, the player would jump to double team thus leaving my steaking WR 1 on 1 with no safety help. The vision cone also helped when player loved playing zone defenses only. It helped braking the zone apart.

I guess it all depends on how well you knew how to use it. Better Line make it a option. This way for those that dont get it they can turn it off for us that do know how to feak it we can turn it on.

Vision Cone was a feature that once learned it became a perk. U play me and see for yourself. You will qucikly learn to play your defensive assigment and not my looks cause ill have you running all over the place lol.

Players need to stop focusing on why it doesnt work , and put the same effort on how to make it work.
Agreed. i was a monster with the cone as well. I would always look off my defenders and provide a good pump fake to confuse them even more. The cone was a good feature IMO, but it was so controversal that I stopped campaigning to get it back.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 8

The saddest thing is that the "Vision and Precision" passing system was the single most innovative feature Madden has EVER had. It brought some level of realism to the game and the QB position. For the first time in head to head games, the QB's ratings actually made a difference. The better the QB the bigger field of vision he had. Secondly, it basically eliminated all the unrealistic gameplay such as full out sprinting backwards and left or right to only throw a perfect pass down the field. Lastly, but certainly not the least, the vision cone itself allowed you to look off human players just like an NFL QB does. It added realism and strategy on so many different levels. Whats sad is that they took it away because some people whined and complained.

Listen Tiburon, some of us actually WANT a "learning curve". A "Challenge". Making the game more like a simulation of real football is "FUN". Thats because the game of football is a constant chess match of coach's and playcalling, there are chess matches in the trenches between the OL and DL. You have the defense trying to bait the QB and disguise what they are doing, then you have the QB playing cat and mouse with the LB's and DB's.

Basically, im tired of the ragged old gameplay. The formula hasn't changed much in many years. More realism, more strategy, better gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »