Home

My Defense of Madden NFL 09

This is a discussion on My Defense of Madden NFL 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
My Defense of Madden NFL 09

Now, everyday I come on these boards and all I hear is moaning and complaining about how bad Madden 09 really is. In fact Madden 09 is not a bad football game at all...and I am a 2K5 guy. Aside from a lackluster Presentation, the game is not that bad.

I hear people complaining about Robo-QB...but in reality most of you have no concept of how to play defense. You think that because you call a BLITZ that you are supposed to stop a slant route? How do you think Tom Brady made his living with Wes Welker? You need to understand the type of defense you are calling in order to stop a slant route...and even then it will vary team to team. If the Ravens are going against Sage Rosenfels, his release may not be as quick as Payton Mannings etc. etc.

The offensive line is capable of creating a pocket in Madden 09, however, you need to adjust your O Line play according to the defense you are facing. You cannot use the same style of blocking for every play. You must sometimes audible out of a play just like the PROS...so don't complain about taking sacks when in all actuality you just failed to use your safety valve receiver or call a hot route. Take some time to learn the game!

On Defense if you want to disrupt the QB or offense, you must use your TEAMS DEFENSIVE STRENGTHS in order to make that happen. Every team is not great at blitzing...some are better at coverage...or bump and run...Use what you have and force the other team into mistakes. Just like in the NFL, you won't always pitch a shutout, but you can win a game and do so convincingly.

Lets be honest here, 5/10 Madden players are just cheesers looking for money plays and glitches to take advantage of...and thats why when they start losing to somebody who knows the GAME OF NFL STYLE FOOTBALL online and they are getting a beatdown...they quit....happens everytime. I cannot tell you how many times I play against somebody online and they drop their QB back 20yds and try to launch a pass off their back foot like in LAST GEN....and while occasionally it works...most of the time if you have called the correct defense...they will be intercepted or at least the pass will be defended. And the CPU AI does adapt very well. And they know if you have a powerhouse running back like Adrian Peterson...they will stack 8 in the box on you...so yes you must use the passing game to open up the running game for AD or whomever you are using.

Does Madden 09 have a few issues, yes it does. Does it warrant the constant bashing it receives...not at all. Here is what I think will warrant a purchase of Madden 2010:

A True To form ESPN Presentation....or at least a HUGE upgrade over what we have been given (See NBA 2K9's presentation...or of course NFL 2K5)

The Commentary should be MUCH BETTER. If the game is on the line, the commentators should say things to reflect that, not sound generic. It should also be playoff, rivalry, and Superbowl specific. Even if there are playoff implications on the line...we should know that.

Create the Superstar mode to perform like NCAA 06 Race for the Heisman where you have TOTAL CONTROL over everything including calling of the plays...if not, then we might as well just create a player and take him through a career in Dynasty Mode.

And Finally, create a more detailed Training combine circa Madden 05'... The Madden IQ could use some tweaking b/c playing defense in that mode is horrible...and include the ability to change the uniforms like Madden 2004-05.

Other than that I think that the game can and will be great...I just hope it delivers....and people stop complaining about sliders and all these things and just learn how to play football. Is Madden NFL 09 better than NFL 2K5....no. But lets see what 2010 offers us in 7months! Feel free to comment!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: My Defense of Madden NFL 09

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
Old 01-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

No.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 11

Stopped reading halfway through the second paragraph. Tom Brady didn't make his living with Welker by throwing to him when he's still dropping back, throwing off his back foot, when he's facing the other direction, or even running one way and tossing it 180degrees the other way, and HITTING WELKER ON THE BUTTON EVERY TIME.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by briax87
Stopped reading halfway through the second paragraph. Tom Brady didn't make his living with Welker by throwing to him when he's still dropping back, throwing off his back foot, when he's facing the other direction, or even running one way and tossing it 180degrees the other way, and HITTING WELKER ON THE BUTTON EVERY TIME.
No he did it standing in the pocket after a 3 step drop. Maybe you should watch a little more on Sunday and not on your Xbox/PS3
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
No he did it standing in the pocket after a 3 step drop. Maybe you should watch a little more on Sunday and not on your Xbox/PS3
Is that not what I just hinted at?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »