Home

Graphics and player models in Madden 10?

This is a discussion on Graphics and player models in Madden 10? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Graphics and player models in Madden 10?

Ignoring all of the various throwback/alternate uniform mistakes, I don't see anything horribly wrong with Madden 09's graphics. If the gameplay issues are fixed, I'm perfectly ok with the graphics staying the same. Sure, the players do look a little bit bulky, but not so much that it actually bothers me.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
All Star

OVR: 33

I want a slow progression to photo-realistic graphics.

Madden 10 graphics are gonna be better than 09.

I think the grass texture needs a bit more variation though.

No field is perfect in real life, and tends to get chopped up, specially grass ones.

Astroturf is pretty good though.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
To me it seems the direction Ian and his team are taking this year is mostly gameplay and presentation. Madden 10 is looking to be the best "playing" madden to date, but what about player models and graphics. It seems like with all the other changes being made to madden this year, we won't see that much change in terms of player modeling. To me player models and animations need to be addressed this year.

Will everyone still buy Madden 10 if it "looks" identical to 09 graphically?

That is pure speculation on your part. There has not been anything thing said about not working on the look of the game. The player models may not change drastically but I’m sure there will be a graphics upgrade. Also if presentation is a big part of what they will be improving I believe that includes how the game will look.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 18

Last year was the big jump for graphics. I dont think there is a need to make this a major focus of Madden 10. I really feel EA would best improve their game if they focused on a) Presentation first, b) fixing AI behavior (adding tons of gameplay sliders) and c) beefing up the franchise modes (immersion).

The biggest issue is not the player models or the stadiums, its the way they are being captured and that take you out of the NFL experience. I think if you look purely at graphics (screenshots) then Madden is EA's best looking game. Its the lack of emotion and authenic televised broadcast aesthetic that has hurt Madden most for the past few years. Make Madden 10 look more authentic and you'll solve the biggest issue IMO.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

IMO the graphics are fine, and in any case Ian did say they are "Waaaay" better in a post a month ago. However, the one thing that absolutely needs to be fixed is the running animations. I know this has been said 1000000000 times but I will say it again. Please make the players run realistically, they look like stiff robots just jogging around the field. I think this will make the overall look and feel of the game much better.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 27

Lighting stunk in 09. Complete overhaul is necessary. Will that happen? I don't know. But I do know the best lighting they ever had was with Madden 07. It's not even a close contest. Maybe they've realized this and made a change, we'll see, but what's in right now is weak.

Night games are just not good. White grass and a strange lighting effect on the players? Total redo.

Weather games look fine, except rain mud on players is WAY over the top and needs to be fixed.

Weather needs to have more variety like pretty much all Madden's have had for years. The oversight of this in 09 was a head scratcher.

Player models do look too small and not imposing like NFL players look in real life. They may be to scale, but something seems missing. Overall I'd say the models are fine proportion-wise, but something is still missing with their sizes and how much screen space they're commanding.

Stadium lights need a complete redo as they show like lights do in photos but not how they look live and they should be shooting for the live look.

Grass detail was great, but needs revision with how light affects it, and maybe the detail needs to be tuned down just a notch... just a notch.

The game needs visual controls like its other EA Sports franchises... brightness, contrast, color, filter... all of it needs to be in our control. I'd given Madden Team a pass on this before I found out that their other label mates had these things. No excuses.

... But at the end of the day, by situating cutscenes and camera's in the proper ways, most of these things can be accomplished without the need for resources that aren't available because of what 60 frames has taken off the table. A big part of how the graphics come across is in how the game is presented, but cutscenes and better auto-replay angles (field-level ones) are the devs friends here. If we get scenes like that first NCAA Football 2010 photo, then we'll be on the right track. If we get yet another year of awful auto-replay angles and no large cutscenes, expect a repeat of what brought us to the presentation abyss we're in now.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of EA showing us pictures like these every year...

... only to pop the game in and NEVER see it happen. It's time to step up and match the intensity of what marketing has been doing with the game's presentation.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 02-17-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

I think the player models need to look more beefed up you know, and not as lean and trim as some of them do, Brian Urlacher's arms for example look too defined and the legs of the players don't have enough mass to them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 24

PLEASE GET RID OF THAT "GLOW" AROUND THE PLAYERS!!!! THAT IS ONE OF THE UGLIEST GRAPHICAL ADDITIONS EVER.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »