Home

Ian, without the vision cone, how will procedural awareness effect the QB ??

This is a discussion on Ian, without the vision cone, how will procedural awareness effect the QB ?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Ian, without the vision cone, how will procedural awareness effect the QB ??

I have a feeling there is going to be a Vision Cone 2.0 because in Ian's blog he says there will not be a VISION CONE 3.0. He could have said there will not be a vision cone but i feel he sort of hints that there will be some sort of QB VISION. I for one feels that there should be if we are really being critical on SIM play. For the guys that don't want the cone, if it IS in the game. Then you know there WILL be an option to turn if off.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Ian, without the vision cone, how will procedural awareness effect the QB ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I don't get what you don't get.

Your basically asking if QB has to look at a WR before he throws it. And the answer is obviously yes, but why does that necessarily have to require a passing cone? Don't we have eyes? Why do we have to look at the WR with our own eyes and then push some buttons so the game knows we are indeed using our eyes before actually pushing the pass button? It seems redundant and bulky.
The passing cone is letting the user know where he's looking. Procedural awareness basically requires that a player locate or see the ball before reacting or making a play on it.

Let's say you want to throw to a WR on the right, but your QB is looking toward the left. If procedural awareness affects QBs(as it should), than the QB will have to look to the right before throwing the ball. This will create a delay when throwing the ball because the user is going to press corresponding passing icon of the WR as soon as he see that WR is open; however, the QB isn't looking in that direction and will have to turn his head and spot the WR before he can throw the ball.

Here are a few problems with a scenario; you may be trying to fit that ball into a tight window; by the time you QB turns his head and throws the ball, that small window has closed, and the pass is broken up or picked off.

Timings routes could also be adversely effected; If you're throwing a time route and you press the button to throw the ball, if the QB isn't looking at that receiver at that particular time, the timing of that route will be thrown off.

In both of these situations, there's no turning back. Once you've pressed the button, the QB is going to throw the ball.

An easy solution to this would be a double tap system. You wouldn't have to use the right analog stick or hold down any extra buttons to move the cone. If the QB happens to be looking at the receiver you're throwing at; you would press the corresponding icon once, if he's not looking a that receiver, you would have to press the button twice. Once to switch the cone to the receiver and a second time to throw the ball.

This way if the receiver is covered by the time the QB looks at him, you're not committed to throwing the ball. You can look for another option.

Now many people seem to hate the way the cone looks. Well instead, Ian and company could simply make the passing icons bigger or highlight the receiver in some way to let the user know that the QB is looking at him. IMO visually, with cone, it would be easier to anticipate when the receiver is going to be in the QB's line of sight by watching the cone rotate to that receiver. But that's just me.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Id like it so that immediately when I push the button, he turns his head and there is only a half second delay (if that) before releasing the ball.
If the receiver is covered by time the QB locates him, the pass likely be broken up or intercepted.

There needs to be a double tap system where you press the button once to get the QB to look at the receiver, and a second time to throw to him. If he's covered, you don't press that button a second time and look for another option.

There needs to be somethings that indicates to the user, which receiver the QB is looking at. You could highlight the WR in some way, or have a cone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94niners
Why not just make those passes terribly inaccurate WITHOUT adding in a vision cone?
Because a QB can only see one receiver at a time; so if you've got four receivers in pass patterns, your chances of completing a pass are one in four.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #37
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
QBs that throw AT a reciver adn stare a reciver down like a Narow Vision cone are the bad QBs liek Rex Grossman and Alex Smith. Thse QBs are easy to read, throw passes where the reciver was and not where he is going and have poor mechanics.
I love it! But I encourage all insults against Rex Grossman to be bolded before they are posted. I love to read them and I am a skim and scan kind of guy. I also encourage ripping him hard. Thanks.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #38
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

I hate that damn vision cone, it's stupid and makes the game seem arcadish! Leave it out and stick with procedural awareness.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #39
All Star

OVR: 33

The vision cone is just realistic, and therefore too hard for those who dont want it.

If I want realistic QB play, give me the option for offline play.

If someone else doesn't, then leave it off for online and offline.

If Kurt wanted to hit the X receiver. You could press x, but Kurt then has to turn himself find the X receiver, and then throw. So from the time the human presses X, to the time Kurt throws could be 1-2 seconds. Since his head is swivelling, it will be possible to read it the pass on defense.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Agreed, stupidest addition to this franchise, and im not saying that because it was hard, more so just because it was stupid, maybe if we had superb line play it would be possible to get a pass off and look at 3 recievers in a play, but not in the previous maddens.
Rather than saying something was stupid...Please provide some rational reason why you thought it was stupid?..Thanks
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »