Home

A REAL discussion on Core gameplay.

This is a discussion on A REAL discussion on Core gameplay. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
A REAL discussion on Core gameplay.

3 of the biggest debates on the forum now is Play recognition/adaptive AI/Passing game.

Lets forget everything about video games we have played the last 20 years. There is no Madden there is no 2K8.

Fundamentals: Issue 1

I for one think that ANY feature that changes/enhances player ratings/functions from the default behaviors has GOT to have human intervention involved in it so that the USER still has a link to the success or failure of the play.

This way there is no unbalanced game and you will fully understand why a player failed/suceeded and not be left to guessing/frustration as to why the outcome was what it was.

Dog/Cat issue 1:

Some think their cpu controlled team mate should auto aware himself into reading a play thats happening over and over.

Some think if I the user am recognising a play is happening over and over I should have features I can call on that correct the cpu behavior to do what I need him to do.

How many ways can a defender play a zone ? How many ways can a defender cover a WR man 2 man ?

If I have access to hot calls that allow me to adjust my players behavior on the fly wouldnt that be enough for me to overcome any situation that occurs during a game ? Also having base plays that address certain known situations would help alot.

What do yall think ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: A REAL discussion on Core gameplay.

Personally, I would like to have all the tools available pre-snap that will allow me to defend EVERYTHING that can be thrown at me.

We are missing a few right now. DB shading and 1st down marker zones being a couple of them. Also making it so you don't have to press X before playmakering a defender is another one.

So I'm all about the tools, give me a game where I can stop everything provided that I make the correct decisions and I'll be happy.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

I think that adaptive AI should/would make play recognition redundent... If the AI is tuned enough, a guy shouldn't be able to run the same play back to back, over and over... He may be able to run it a few times, like once a half or what have you, but making the AI kean, I think would make the need for the "peeking" weapon useless... Or at least it should... We shouldn't need to make a guy read a play, if he already can... He either can, or he can't. We also shouldn't have 100% info on what a guys running against us... Only the Pats had video footage enough to know that... As such, you could get a notice like "Deep Pass", "Dive", "Sweep", "PA Pass" ect...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
MVP

I figure most people dont play to exploit any game. I also figure most people that use exploits to win were also not looking per se for exploits but discovered them one way or another and once discovered used them to their advantage.

If a games fundamentals are sound and the features work as advertised alot of these "exploits" can be overcome or not exist at all.

I understand and agree with people who complain about such things in online games because its frustrating as hell to have to deal with someone who is abusing a bug/badly implemented feature in a game.

On the other hand we all have to be careful on how we ask for the problem to be delt with. If the cpu handles it all by itself I feel like I am losing some control over the situation. On one side because control is taken from me, and 2 because my opponent is given a crutch because he cannot think of a way to counter me.

The games have to give the users a effective way to counter every possible strategy in the game without giving anyone an advantage.

In a football game, the difficulty level should be based on the individual teams personel. If Ieam as a user am not good at calling plays, using my players, then I need to use one of the better teams to enhance my chance of winning. If I am all that, I would use a lesser team to challenge myself.

This is not saying this is the only way of doing things, just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
I think that adaptive AI should/would make play recognition redundent... If the AI is tuned enough, a guy shouldn't be able to run the same play back to back, over and over... He may be able to run it a few times, like once a half or what have you, but making the AI kean, I think would make the need for the "peeking" weapon useless... Or at least it should... We shouldn't need to make a guy read a play, if he already can... He either can, or he can't. We also shouldn't have 100% info on what a guys running against us... Only the Pats had video footage enough to know that... As such, you could get a notice like "Deep Pass", "Dive", "Sweep", "PA Pass" ect...
I think the last part of your post is a GREAT idea.

If someone continues to run a play over and over again, the captain of your team will yell out "short pass short pass" or "going Deep" or "run run run". Then if you want you can keep what play you got or audible or make hot adjustments accordingly.

That way Its up to YOU to call the play to stop what you KNOW is coming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

/\/\/\ Oh for sure... The QB option would have to go as well... That being said, something like the NCAA option had (after picks) where you get to choose between three plays would work well for this kind of stuff... Pick the right one, your entire team on that side of the ball learns from it... Pick wrong, they stay oblivious to it... Gives players control while making them pay attention while allowing to CPU to do it's thing...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »