Home

Madden NFL 10 Preview: Five Things to Know (ESPN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Preview: Five Things to Know (ESPN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #105
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: ESPN: Madden 10 preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
You can't forget the on-line community on this one...that's really the one that counts, because this really only comes into play in Human vs Human.

But you bring up a good point in a sense... what happens when you play teh CPU? Are you still button mashing... vs the CPU?
good point...although i still like the idea i would hope the cpu wouldnt simply win all of them...interresting..dont scrap the idea though

Last edited by Smoke316; 04-28-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #106
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Exactly - I would love to see the pileup and then have some sort of rating determine the outcome. Button mashing seems to take away from everything that Ian and his team have been striding towards as far as the Sim aspect is concerned. Maybe they were throwing the arcade people a bone?
I don't think so... I think it was more "we want to give the user control in as many situations as possible" and this just happened to seem "arcady" in the way it was executed. I'd love to roast 'em over it, but the fact is, I can't think of a better way save getting rid of the meter. Otherwise, it's still a button masher regardless. I like they gave us control, I'm not going to argue with that. It'll create some tense moments, but my argument is they're that much more tense if we've gotta wait for the ref to come in and unpile the players and make a signal.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #107
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Is it really pure button mashing? Or it is more about hitting the right buttons?

I'm not sure how I feel about a fumble on a potential, game-winning drive getting decided by button mashing.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #108
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I am actually quite surprised they released this (and that Phil told it to them like fact). Truth is we still don't know how it's going to work.

I need to decide basically this week...but I am definitely not crazy about the meter.
Maybe this is a dumb suggestion but why can't it be an option in the settings? Is it that there are no ratings to support who would recover the fumble if it wasn't button based?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #109
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I don't think so... I think it was more "we want to give the user control in as many situations as possible" and this just happened to seem "arcady" in the way it was executed. I'd love to roast 'em over it, but the fact is, I can't think of a better way save getting rid of the meter. Otherwise, it's still a button masher regardless. I like they gave us control, I'm not going to argue with that. It'll create some tense moments, but my argument is they're that much more tense if we've gotta wait for the ref to come in and unpile the players and make a signal.
Fair enough and good points.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #110
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

Quote:
...but my argument is they're that much more tense if we've gotta wait for the ref to come in and unpile the players and make a signal.

That's logical, but yeah, it takes control away from the user. But I certainly don't want to button mash against the CPU.

Like I said, a video or a screenshot would help the debate.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #111
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
I say you either have another Rating for Pile up fumble and you factor in who got on the ball first, how many people from each team is on the ball, etc. Like if there are 2 lions and 4 Greenbay players on the ball, Greenbay has a beter chance at getting the ball. But if a lions player jumps on the ball first, they get a added percentage. etc. It is probably to complex to do it that way though.
This would be my way of doing it... but it might be too complex. I'm all for ratings determining the outcome... much more than mashing buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
The whole time I've read about this, that is the sense I've gotten. The button and meter are for vs CPU games the way I read it. Now I guess it is for online too, but the major problem most of the guys have is seeing a meter in front of the pileup in a hum vs cpu game.
Oh... hmm... interesting. I never think of a Human vs CPU game, since I never play them, so I'm always in the Human vs Human frame of mind.

Quote:
The meter should not be there, I don't think many can argue against that, it really ruins any type of suspense. I'm not sure how much control I really have though over button mashing, and it really puts the less dexterous people out there at a huge disadvantage when these types of pileups do occur.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #112
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

Based on Ian's response, I have a feeling the meter is as good as gone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »