Home

Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control

This is a discussion on Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
I don't think it works this way. ON defense, PLay recognition makes awareness redundant.

I think its how fast cpu controlled players react.

Yep, thats what I was talking about. The awareness already has effect for CPU players, but once players are under human control awareness is of no importance.

The idea behind the delay is how quickly a player reacts in minute situations - not how they are reading the play. He'll still run and move responsively as any player, but its the jukes, swats, catches etc. the maneuvers you control with the players. This doesn't change how good the player is at these things, just how quickly they will implement them.

Say you are trying for an interception, you get the timing right - well then all good and the players catching rating comes into play to see if you intercept the ball. Thats not really play recognition, where you move to cover the play is, awareness should have more effect on the split second moments in football. So more the timing of the player than how well he reads the play.

Maybe ball carrier vision can help offset this when you are running with the ball though. Say you have a low awareness but high ball carrier vision, the delay won't be as bad. But when using the player with out the ball in his hand there is more of a delay.

Dunno. Its just a idea that popped into my head. Could be stupid in practice. I'm not thinking a massive delay, but just enough you'd notice it from a 50AWR to a 90+AWR.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #50
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control

I think many posters are caught up in the specific 'awareness' rating. The idea behind the OP was to make none physical ability attribute ratings matter when under human control. Ratings such as RB Vision, zone coverage, man coverage, play recognition, basic awareness etc. Ratings that can't be measured, counted or clocked are considered 'awareness' by this thread. I'd rather refer to those ratings as IQ type ratings.

It's a known fact that confused players tend to react and move more slowly than smarter players who anticipate their opponent's moves. That's why a guy like Ray Lewis gets the the ball carrier so much quicker than other faster, much more athletic players at his same position.

Emmit Smith was never the fastest or quickest RB, but he played quicker than just about anyone else because he reacted to things he saw on the field very quickly. His backups were always superior athletes but they never performed nearly as well as he did. When I'm controlling a RB like him I should feel empowered, and not because he runs faster than he does in real life or because he breaks a ton of tackles to compensate for his lack of speed. I should be able to hit holes more quickly and efficiently with him than with a much faster RB with poor vision.

I think the RB situation could be fixed by making the o-line block better for a high vision RB but that's a band-aid fix that's unrealistic, although it would have the desired affect on the bottom line.

Last edited by Sigma4Life; 05-07-2009 at 06:07 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »