Home

Online Franchise to have 1 time Code

This is a discussion on Online Franchise to have 1 time Code within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #97
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Online Franchise to have 1 time Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12
EA gets their profit from that 1 copy.

Someone buys the game new, EA gets the money. Yeah they don't get any money from someone who buys the game used, but they already got money from the person buying that same copy new.

If I go buy a brand new car from a dealership, they get the money. Once I sell the car, the dealership doesn't get to double dip and make some more money when I decide to sell my car.

Understand where I'm going with this?

It's understandable for them to do something like this to help stop people who pirate the games offline. But I think a better option would be to try and get those sites shut down, not try and make money off the people who buy their game, used.

This doesn't even effect me because I'll buy the game new, but even I see how this is a bad deal for people who wait to get the game used.
I understand this logic, but i also see why its detrimental to developers. The consumer who would of brought a brand new copy is now buying a used copy because its slightly cheaper. That's a customer EA won't be receiving money from even though now they're officially buying a copy of the game; thus EA receives no money for something they created and worked for.

On the same vain, your logic makes sense because if i buy a copy of madden, the game belongs to me, i can choose to do whatever i want with it. Selling it to a friend, throwing it away, or even selling it to Game stop. EA has already made their money from that copy of the game, so why should they care.

In this regard, its up to personal belief. The online franchise shouldn't have been put in the middle of this situation though
Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #98
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12
EA gets their profit from that 1 copy.

Someone buys the game new, EA gets the money. Yeah they don't get any money from someone who buys the game used, but they already got money from the person buying that same copy new.

If I go buy a brand new car from a dealership, they get the money. Once I sell the car, the dealership doesn't get to double dip and make some more money when I decide to sell my car.

Understand where I'm going with this?

It's understandable for them to do something like this to help stop people who pirate the games offline. But I think a better option would be to try and get those sites shut down, not try and make money off the people who buy their game, used.

This doesn't even effect me because I'll buy the game new, but even I see how this is a bad deal for people who wait to get the game used.
Terrible analogy since neither the manufacturer nor the dealer are maintaining any service for you on the car once you drive it off the lot. And when they do, (maintenance) they charge you for it.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #99
Rookie

OVR: 11

Wow it's pretty unreal that EA is being defended like this, this is basically as bad as downloading a 45kb file off Xbox Live to unlock something on the disk.
24-8 Madden 12 Record.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #100
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkopated
Wow it's pretty unreal that EA is being defended like this, this is basically as bad as downloading a 45kb file off Xbox Live to unlock something on the disk.
It's not on the disc. It's on EA's own servers.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #101
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkopated
It doesn't surprise me at all that EA is getting defended like this. While it's definitely not just EA who does this type of thing, they seem to do it a lot in "protecting" themselves, when they are making huge profits anyway.

Oh well, I'll enjoy the online franchise - I do feel for those who buy the game used and can't without tossing EA some money.

Want a way to stop people from buying used games? Drop the price of the new game, sooner. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes for a used game price to drop from $55 to $45 or whatever, but it's probably a couple months? What happens if EA decided to drop it from $60 to $50 when this happens? Or at least make an attempt to be 'competitive' with used game prices once the game has been out for awhile.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #102
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

The best way for a company to prevent people from buying used games is to make a quality game that people don't want to get rid of and that people don't mind dropping $60 + Tax on.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #103
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

It's not about defending EA. It's a business. They are covering their overhead.. This is not an EA only thing.

Not to mention this won't affect 99% of the people here, nor will it affect 100% of the people who buy used games. It's much ado about nothing, especially if we are talking about an extra 5 or 10 dollars for something that not everyone will even take advantage of.

But don't let logic stop you from criticizing all things EA. They certainly deserve their share of criticism, but some people really reach deep to further that agenda.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 8

everyone is saying that it costs EA money to maintain their servers doesnt it also cost bungie and infinity ward money to maintain their servers?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »