Home

on 4th down, why does my defensive screen automatically go to punt block?

This is a discussion on on 4th down, why does my defensive screen automatically go to punt block? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11
on 4th down, why does my defensive screen automatically go to punt block?

when its like 4th and 5 and im on D, i like to go with my Punt Return, not punt block...but it only gives me a few seconds to get out of the punt block screen, find my special teams, then find punt return...

any1 know how to fix this so i start from my 'choose formation' screen or see punt returns instead of punt blocks as my default?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 14
Re: on 4th down, why does my defensive screen automatically go to punt block?

In that situation it defaults to Ask Madden, and Madden's choice is to punt block. I'm assuming it's the games way of persuading you to do something less cheesy (like going for it every time on 4th down). They kind of point you in the right direction... because later in the game, if you are behind, it won't default to punt block but that's because Madden is advising you to pick a different play instead.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Pro

biglami's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP
In that situation it defaults to Ask Madden, and Madden's choice is to punt block. I'm assuming it's the games way of persuading you to do something less cheesy (like going for it every time on 4th down). They kind of point you in the right direction... because later in the game, if you are behind, it won't default to punt block but that's because Madden is advising you to pick a different play instead.
I know what you are saying about 'the game's way of trying to make me do something less cheesy' BUT that is Madden's job to convince the offense to NOT go for it on 4th by telling HIM to Punt...

I appreciate your response; I am not flaming or trolling or whatevr, but I think you may be taking what I am saying out of context (because IMO a Punt Return is less cheesy than trying to Punt Block every time)
Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 14

Ya, I know you are talking specifically in the context of this one situation - being that you are on defense. But what I'm saying is that it seems like on 4th downs, the playcalling screen defaults to "Ask Madden".
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Pro

biglami's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP
Ya, I know you are talking specifically in the context of this one situation - being that you are on defense. But what I'm saying is that it seems like on 4th downs, the playcalling screen defaults to "Ask Madden".
for sure...I see what you are talkin about there...and online thus far (maybe b/c the only people who have the game are the hardest core/ sim guys) people have been really cool about NOT goin for it on ridiculous 4th down situations...but yea when the gen pop gets the game, i suspect this will change and guys will be goin for it on 4th and 7 from their own 37 on the 1st drive of the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I also hate that on field goals, it only gives you the option of "FG Block" when in real life, teams don't always go for the block. I'd like to be able to call FG Safe without going through an act of congress.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Pro

biglami's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
I also hate that on field goals, it only gives you the option of "FG Block" when in real life, teams don't always go for the block. I'd like to be able to call FG Safe without going through an act of congress.
lol re: 'act of congress'...that is what it feels like when we have to back out of screens, find the formation, then refind a play...all in less than 10 seconds
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglami
lol re: 'act of congress'...that is what it feels like when we have to back out of screens, find the formation, then refind a play...all in less than 10 seconds

Well when you put it like that, I guess it isn't so bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »