Home

3-4 Defense For Beginners!

This is a discussion on 3-4 Defense For Beginners! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: 3-4 Defense For Beginners!

i was pretty aware of this, im a big football guy as im sure we all are but this was a great read. Does anyone think that we can make the 3-4 effective with some slider tweaks, or at least hope for it to be addressed first patch if not.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
Banned

JaBronie247's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPlaya
Best team Cards? was that a joke or were you serious?
Worst team broncos? nevermind thats not a question its a statement! lol
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16

I was really wanting to switch to the 3-4 this year since the cards are transitioning more to a 3-4 and thats the team i use. But from what i hear the 3-4 still doesnt work properly. In the 3-4 if your NT cant command double teams then the effectiveness of this scheme goes way down. I might try it in a few pre season games but it looks like ill still be going with the 4-3 again this year. But great write up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBronie247
Worst team broncos? nevermind thats not a question its a statement! lol
yea i got a chuckle out of that as well, but i didnt say anything lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

In a 3-4, I always move my best SS to be an OLB. SS normally have all the features a great OLB needs, minus the pass rushing stuff. They are normally fast, have great coverage, and can tackle decently. I then have 2 FSs (or 1 FS and a CB, depending on the personal) to play deep field. This is exactly what my HS football team does and they won state this year (McQueen HS from Nevada). Of coarse, HS football is different than Madden football, but I have seen great success when doing this.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9

Just want to say this is a very nice write up for beginners. The OP has given some very good info that those who are new to the 3-4 will find useful. Small points not alluded to in the original post, but some might want to know, the weak side OLB is typically the premier pass rusher in the D, while the strong side is often better in coverage or at least has a more balanced skill set. OLBs are generally > 245 lbs. As the original poster suggested it might not be very feasible to convert small DEs to OLBs in the game due to ratings in areas of coverage, which is unfortunate since that is how most teams find 3-4 OLBs. It may be possible to draft larger sized, OLBs that could realistically fit in the 3-4 though depending on what the draft classes generate though. If only Madden would generate tweeners in draft classes at various positions and let you fit them to your team/scheme (kind of like the Athlete recruit in NCAA).

ILBs are also a bit larger than your typical 4-3 backers. They're sometimes reffered to as the MIKE and the TED positions. The MIKE is the main tackler and play maker (think Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, etc.) while the TED is the larger of the two and takes on blockers to often free up the MIKE...sometimes being refferred to as the fullback of the defense.

I'm hoping this years Madden represents the 3-4 well, as no football game has captured it particularly well.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #15
Banned

JaBronie247's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
Just want to say this is a very nice write up for beginners. The OP has given some very good info that those who are new to the 3-4 will find useful. Small points not alluded to in the original post, but some might want to know, the weak side OLB is typically the premier pass rusher in the D, while the strong side is often better in coverage or at least has a more balanced skill set. OLBs are generally > 245 lbs. As the original poster suggested it might not be very feasible to convert small DEs to OLBs in the game due to ratings in areas of coverage, which is unfortunate since that is how most teams find 3-4 OLBs. It may be possible to draft larger sized, OLBs that could realistically fit in the 3-4 though depending on what the draft classes generate though. If only Madden would generate tweeners in draft classes at various positions and let you fit them to your team/scheme (kind of like the Athlete recruit in NCAA).

ILBs are also a bit larger than your typical 4-3 backers. They're sometimes reffered to as the MIKE and the TED positions. The MIKE is the main tackler and play maker (think Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, etc.) while the TED is the larger of the two and takes on blockers to often free up the MIKE...sometimes being refferred to as the fullback of the defense.

I'm hoping this years Madden represents the 3-4 well, as no football game has captured it particularly well.
Yeah I heard the 3-4 isnt still what its supposed to be like
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain__Planet
In a 3-4, I always move my best SS to be an OLB. SS normally have all the features a great OLB needs, minus the pass rushing stuff. They are normally fast, have great coverage, and can tackle decently. I then have 2 FSs (or 1 FS and a CB, depending on the personal) to play deep field. This is exactly what my HS football team does and they won state this year (McQueen HS from Nevada). Of coarse, HS football is different than Madden football, but I have seen great success when doing this.
This could never work IRL in the NFL due to the vast differences in size between OLBs and SSs. The OLB needs to be able to shed blocks and hold the point of attack if the OL gets to the 2nd level. The only time this could even begin to work would be in maybe a Nickel 3-3 or Dime 3-2 against passing situations and even then it would be a stretch. In a base D it could never work unless you had a gigantic, strong, SS that could rush the passer. If it works in the video game it is more of an exploitation of incorrect programming of the 3-4 than it is a representation of a realistic NFL scheme imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »