Home

Beginner Play calling = More Sacks?

This is a discussion on Beginner Play calling = More Sacks? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Beginner Play calling = More Sacks?

I have recently been using Beginner Play calling to actually make the game challenging and I have to say, it has kept my games fresh. I actually lost some games finally in a Madden game. I was frustrated, but I lost my divisional game after making an awesome 21 point comeback in the wild card and then blowing the Saints out in the 2nd game.

But my point is, after playing the season opener I noticed something. I am getting sacks now. I just had 9 sacks and 2 of them were diving sacks, the rest were just CPU or user without diving and they were split right down the middle.

I also noticed I was in the top 10 with sacks in the season before. And if you think 9 sacks was too much, part of the reason is my defensive line is beast with Orakpo at 90, Haynesworth at 99, some rookie who has the same ratings as Haynesworth, but his AWR makes his rating a lot lower. And we have Carter over there at a low 80. And 3-4 of the sacks were in the 4th when the Bears were in a hurry up offense and their line just got gassed.

I also should mention that Cutler was out until the 3rd quarter after getting injured in the 2nd play of the game and the backup took a lot of sacks.

I am using DB's slider set BTW.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Beginner Play calling = More Sacks?

You really can't take any single game result and make a real judgment on it.

My last few games, all with the same sliders

38-9 WIN, 27-24 WIN, 41-10 loss, 13-10 WIN, 24-20 loss

The 38-9 game I had 5 sacks and 3 ints, the 41-10 I couldn't get any pressure at all and got picked apart.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I didn't judge one game. I also said I was ranked in the top 10 with over 50 sacks in the first season.

― Plato
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

I really need to read more closely and stop skimming before I reply to stuff....

Regardless...

I don't think this is a viable fix. By definition, beginner playcalling is going to make the game easier, since it's aimed at less knowledgeable players. It may stop you from getting into the rut of calling the same plays over and over and force you to execute what you're given on offense... but on D I don't think it has that same effect.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 38

I'm going to try this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I really need to read more closely and stop skimming before I reply to stuff....

Regardless...

I don't think this is a viable fix. By definition, beginner playcalling is going to make the game easier, since it's aimed at less knowledgeable players. It may stop you from getting into the rut of calling the same plays over and over and force you to execute what you're given on offense... but on D I don't think it has that same effect.
I really haven't noticed an instance of it making the game harder. I still have to make the same reads on offense, I still get stuffed in the backfeild. Heck, I have a 3.5 YPC through two games with Portis. If anything, it seems harder right now.

― Plato
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Oh yea, and I just started my 2nd half against the Lions, but I had two sacks with Orakpo in the 1st half and neither were diving sacks and one was the CPU.

― Plato
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

4 sacks through 3 and 1 minute. No diving sacks yet, 2 user, 2 CPU. They are not coverage sacks either. Each sack happens after about 3-4 seconds.

Make that 5 now, CB Blitz, CPU sacks = 3 vs 2 user sacks.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »