Home

Ratings and The Easter Bunny

This is a discussion on Ratings and The Easter Bunny within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #145
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Yes, in reality a punter would get killed if you put him on the O-line, but only a braindead moron would do that.
And the game should simulate that. It should make that P suck horribly so you'd look stupid for doing it. If that doesn't happen, it's a problem.

Quote:
You guys are making a big issue out of a stupid glitch/loophole that no one should use anyway.
If they made the block ratings mean a lot more than they do now, this wouldn't even be a discussion - which is the point being made.

No one should use a glitch, true. That doesn't mean we should excuse the glitch being there and say "no one should use it, so let's just act like it's not there."

If a 12 PBL doesn't lose to any DL - that's a sign the ratings are screwed, and that can have serious implications in a ratings based system. Forget position. That's what people are focusing too much on, imo.

12 PBL vs any DL can win. That's the problem.

Quote:
EA needs to fix the CPU depth chart management... and you need to not put your damn punter on the O-Line. Play the game properly. You people all want to be "sim" yet you go out and look for stupid ish that can be exploited.
And the game shouldn't let the damn punter block a DL. If someone does that, the game engine should punish them. It doesn't, because the ratings don't mean enough. That's the problem.

Quote:
I'm not saying the O-line play doesn't need work... but putting your punter there is a freaking stupid way to try to show it.
It's perfect because it shows the ability of the players to block is not reflected well (or at all) via their ratings. Otherwise, why would a 12 or even 40 PBL be able to hold up against even a average pass rusher?

What better way to show that the ratings don't mean enough than to set up a player poor at a rating agaisnt a player that's great at the rating and watch the poor guy win consistently against the great one?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #146
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJim76
hey mavfan

the definition of incompetent when used as an adjective......

not meeting requirements
not qualified or suited for a purpose
not doing a good job
bungling, clumsy, fumbling

madden 10 is unable to add tackles properly. their first attempt at a patch created additional problems. do i need to go on? ian and co. are the very definition of the word.
What's the definition of utterly? You didn't just say "incompetent" Noah Webster. And you know what was intended by "utterly incompetent". Like I said, if not being able to account for a guy looking for an un thought of exploit or assorted bugs and issues means that video game makers are "utterly incompetent" then why do you play ANY games, since every game has them?

Little bit of an overstatement you must admit.

The list of things that have been added/fixed FAR outweigh what bugs do still exist. Like I said, this particular problem sucks and needs to be fixed, but it doesn't mean the devs are "utterly incompetent" and it doesn't diminish all of the other improvements.

This dev team, unlike the DAVID ORTIZ years (ask any Madden fan what that was like) admits their mistakes and listens to us and fixes them. Name-calling is not going to encourage them to continue this behavior.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #147
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
This dev team, unlike the DAVID ORTIZ years (ask any Madden fan what that was like) admits their mistakes and listens to us and fixes them. Name-calling is not going to encourage them to continue this behavior.
I have not seen anyone apologize for this ratings mess. In fact, I didn't even see the Ratings Czar apologize when he mistakenly said he got Housh's 40 time from the NFL combine.

Nobody has even acknowledge this.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #148
Rookie

OVR: 6
show me a mistake they have admitted.

please.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #149
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

In an effort to have a lighter and quicker offensive line I replaced the Steelers starting O-line with kickers, punters and defensive backs none over 190 lbs. I liked the results:

That stalwart at LT is 170 lb Martin Gramatica who is manhandling the highest rated RE in the game.

This will save me time from having to scout, draft or sign offensive linemen.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #150
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
So far with 99 overall linemen I am averaging 5-10 seconds of sitting in the pocket against the Vikings, Colts, and Giants. I used a single back set with 4 WRs and 1 RB the RB takes off on a route. The defense uses a 4 man rush from the Dline. The fastest sack was 4.38 seconds but every other play was in the 5 second range. I had a total of 2 plays that lasted 15.28 and 14.75 seconds long. I did ten plays with each team for a total of 30 downs. I will edit my post when I compare results with an overall 12 line.(This is All-Pro with no adjustments to the game aside my linemen)

I didnt bother to check what the times were with the vikings or giants. With only the colts tested on ten downs the times were as followed.

There was an obvious time difference from 99 to 12. I was going to try and test the CPU with the same line but the QB for the CPU throws the ball at about 1-3 seconds with the 12 overall line before a Dlinemen gets to him and with the 99 line he throws it about 3-6 seconds every play.

Results for rushing are a bit different. I used Ronnie Brown at HB and took the 99 overall line against the vikings. I used cover 1 out of the 4-3 and I used I-form set and ran the Iso. The 99 line would typically get a solid push and hold the line until Brown was past and if the CPU could run the ball he would have gained 5+ yards every down but sometimes he would run away from the SS or FS. With the 12 overall line Brown was getting anywhere from -1 to 4 yards a carry. He made more logical choices running with that line then with the 99 line. The 12 overall line would almost never push the Dline and they were often times shed and/or being pushed by the Oline to the side as they try and keep up with the Dline.

They arent big differences but they are there IMO. If you have someone with 12 overall as an Olinemen across the board he would look like a 14 year old freshmen who plays WR in the NFL. He should get pancaked and beat around constantly. The lower rated players still have some chance to make a play but like I said IMO it is to much of a chance. The 99 overall players on the other hand do dominate most of the time. I am about to run against the vikings.

With the 99 overall line, I averaged well over 5+ yards. I had several plays that were 10 yard runs without doing much work besides following the blockers. I saw Kevin Williams get into the back field 4 times out of 20 or so runs. I broke him twice, dragged him forward 4 yards once, and he dropped me for a 1 yard loss. I also had one 30 yard TD run which Brown broke out of pro-tac and walked in.

With the overall 12 line, I maybe averaged 2-4 yards if you count the 8 and 10 yard runs. Williams ate me alive. He was off his block and tackled me at the LOS or for a loss 9 times out of a total of 20 plays. Most of the yards earned were by Brown breaking tackles or by him falling forward.

All in all, the line does matter. Do your own tests on all pro and see for yourself. They may not matter on All Madden but that is a horse of a different color. All pro=Line ratings matter
Thanks Glorious...so everyone's still debating the 12 OVR punter on the line thing and how absurd that is (and rightfully so....I think Glorious and myself agree with this too), but it looks as if there's a difference between a 12 OVR O-Line and a 99 OVR O-Line. It looks like even the CPU recognizes how good it's line is (Glorious mentions how the CPU QB throws within 1-3 seconds with the crap line but 3-6 seconds with the stud line). I know everyone doesn't agree with the bottom part of this testing (or whether or not it should even be tested) but does everyone agree that the top part of this testing shows positive results? To my knowledge Glorious is the only one to test the other end of this (ie the 99 OVR stud line). There's a gazillion people testing the crap line (and videos and all that) but where's the top end testing? Thanks again Glorious...my hope is still intact
Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #151
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
In an effort to have a lighter and quicker offensive line I replaced the Steelers starting O-line with kickers, punters and defensive backs none over 190 lbs. I liked the results:

That stalwart at LT is 170 lb Martin Gramatica who is manhandling the highest rated RE in the game.

EA Sports: Madden NFL 10 Video Highlight

This will save me time from having to scout, draft or sign offensive linemen.
Damn, and that was on Pro. I was hoping this was just a defect of All Madden.

Oh well. Madden 10: Get the best QB, speediest RB and the rest don't matter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #152
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Damn, and that was on Pro. I was hoping this was just a defect of All Madden.

Oh well. Madden 10: Get the best QB, speediest RB and the rest don't matter.
This is why people pick the eagles n vikings n chargers so much online

You did pay for online roster updates. Do you know why? Thats all Madden really is from year to year, a roster update.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »