Home

Pro and Cons of Patch 1 vs. 2

This is a discussion on Pro and Cons of Patch 1 vs. 2 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Pro and Cons of Patch 1 vs. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Thanks man, thats good stuff to know. Only thing that seems off to me is the rushing tds and tackles are lil high, unless its adding solo and assist together. Appreciate the info.

If you get a chance, give these a shot. Most have really liked these and I like how its in between all-pro and all-madden. thanks for the feedback. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pdate-2-a.html
No thats solo taks
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #34
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapper
DFOS
Do you think these sliders: Normal Custom Sliders Title Update 2 would apply to what I am doing since I no longer have patch 1 or 2?

I can tell you back in those early days of August and September before the first patch, I had success using your Zero sliders
I would give the Zero a shot, if your using no patches. Record a few games, then try Normal last if the Zero set isn't to your liking.

My buddy and I have decided to start our franchises over, w/ patch 2 Normal Custom Sliders Title Update 2 .

What we're going to do is spectate the games that we don't want to play. So basically, the simmed stat engine will only be used for pre-season games(note: turn sim-injuries off for preseason). Might even sim some playoff games just b/c it wouldn't affect the regular season stats anyway. We could even play eachother in some of the regular season games, if we wanted.
This is exciting to me, b/c now we can compete in those stat areas were the simmed stat engines just blows us away at.

When we spectate, we move the Game clock down to 13mins and raise Acc. Clock to 25 secs. That gives the correct amount of plays per game while spectating and still gives qbs the time to adjust, check, audible etc. b/c on spectate the cpu gets out on the field within 2-3 seconds, from 1 play to the next. So w/ 25secs runoff, that still leaves 12-13 seconds for the cpu to make adjustments. Also its cool b/c now we're using the most up to date rosters, ratings, etc.

To add even more playability, we are going to play CO-OP. We both have our profiles setup. So when he uses his team, he will have his profile, he will be controller 1, and that allows him to call the plays, make the audibles, etc. for his team. Vice-versa when we use my team.
He's the Cowboys, I'm the Redskins.(BTW, he's stoked b/c Miles Austin's updated ratings are 88 and Gerald Sensabaugh 80. As I'm just as stoked b/c J.C.'s 84 ovr. w/ 85 throw on the run and 88 PA passing acc.)
So when our teams meet, that will be a game that we play against eachother. All the other games our teams play will be CO-OP. Its going to be cool to see how the stats play out using Spectate Mode in all of the games we don't play.

Last edited by dfos81; 01-29-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #35
Banned

dfos81's Arena

Btw, I'm liking spectating games w/ broadcast cam and getting realistic stats at the same time.

Last edited by dfos81; 01-29-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

A cool Idea with spectating, but I simply do not have the free time for that. However here is an update to my adventures with default Madden:

I adjusted my sliders a bit and played my second game in my franchise that I am controlling The Browns and the Seahawks.

This Game was Seahawks (me) Vs Rams
A defensive struggle throughout
The Rams pounded me with Jackson who finished the game with 4.8 YPC. Rams got a field goal on there opening drive. I then had to punt and again Jackson brought them down the field only to have the drive stall When Patrick Kerney sacked Bulger on 3rd down. So another field goal and the Rams lead 6-0. I then was able to drive just into field goal range and hit for 3.

After that the next few possessions for each Team resulted in just changing field position before punting. Until Hassleback was able to lead a 2 minute drill just before the half that resulted in another field goal for my Seahawks. So Rams 6 - Seahawks 6 at the half.

The 3rd quarter was uneventful with both team moving the ball but each drive ending with a punt. Then about halfway though the 4th Justin Forssett caught a dump off pass dodged a couple of tacklers and took the ball 84 yards for the games first TD! The following drive the Rams road their workhorse, Jackson, down into the redzone only to sputter out again and settle for a field goal. Seahawks 13 - Rams 9. With 4 minutes left in the game and only being down 4 points they kicked the ball deep. The Rams defense forces a 3 and out and I had to punt the ball back. The Rams begin to drive the ball down the field again in their 2 minute offense. Just when it seemed like they had a chance to win the game Bulger throws an interception to Wilson. A few kneel downs later and the game was over.

Overall one of the best games I have had in months, with patch 2 installed it seemed like no matter what sliders I used I simply did not have many challenging games. My rushing attack was not very good only averaging 2.8 YPC but my backs are Jones and Forrsett so I don't expect much. It was fun to to have to fear the AI running the ball with Jackson. Both Qb's played decently I think Bulger completed 57% to Hassbacks 60%. I had both myself and the AI missing on some throws especially when we tried to go down field. I am still sorting out the Pass Rush for both User and CPU as both teams only had 2 sacks. The issue is the CPU seemed to get good pressure consistently, but for my team it seemed like some plays we got pressure but a few times Bulger had all day to scan the field.

I am sure that sooner or later some I will see some of the flaws that everybody griped over when the game was first launched but I think with the sliders am having better games now than I did with the two patches installed. Also of note I am not getting near the amount of ref cut scenes as I was with Patch 2. In fact in this game I don't think I saw the sideline catch cut scene at all which was causing a lot of bad calls on sideline catches with patch 2. And they only had to measure for the first once or twice when it actually was close versus seeing it all the time with patch 2 even when I could clearly see that it was or was not a first during the play.

I recommend anyone who is not happy with some of the things caused by the patches (sim stats, glitched running, Refs calling catches our of bounds even though the WR took multiple steps before going out) at least give this a try. Worst case scenario you can always re-download the patches if your not happy with the result of playing the default game.

A word of caution to anyone who does decide to play the game pre-patched like I am. I would highly recommend you do so with custom sliders as I have no idea what the default game would play like. If anyone has an interest let me know I will post the sliders I am using now even though they are still a work in progress.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #37
Banned

dfos81's Arena

I like everthing your saying Knapper, gameplay wise.

My only issues w/o any patches would be, the simmed stat issues again. So my best solution was spectating games, instead of simming. The sim engine is just off compared to played games. So I'm not even using the Sim engine part anymore.

I got 7 months to enjoy my franchise and I don't want the sim engine to ruin it for me after 2 or 3 seasons.

Last edited by dfos81; 01-29-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 5

I hear ya.

Like I said the only issue I was finding with the Sim stats with the default game is Rushing TD's were low versus having all the rushing stats and sacks being inflated with patch 2. For my purposes since I do not have the time to do what you are doing I will take the lesser of two evils with the sim engine and stick with my pre-patched game. Plus I am really enjoying the game play so far.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
Banned

dfos81's Arena

I've been using supersim(w/ a few tweaks) and its giving some really good results so far. I also save after each game, just in case I need to re-load b/c of some crazy numbers. Its faster than spectating games for sure. Still testing this out, so I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
I've been using supersim(w/ a few tweaks) and its giving some really good results so far. I also save after each game, just in case I need to re-load b/c of some crazy numbers. Its faster than spectating games for sure. Still testing this out, so I'll keep you posted.
So supersim uses a different engine than "Regular" sim? That's interesting. Can't wait to see what you find out.

Though - I don't think Supersim uses accel clock? I say that because it seems to generate way more than the 120 or so plays I get when I play a game out completely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »