Home

Weight and Height Should Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings

This is a discussion on Weight and Height Should Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
View Poll Results: Should Weight and Height Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings???
Yah 58 65.91%
Nah 30 34.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Weight and Height Should Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings

Now I don't want to be an a**hole but I'm completely baffled by some people that responded in this thread. It seems like everyones trying to be Socrates and develop a philosophy for this topic. It's completely simple, take the Steve Smith example. Yes he's agile and low to the ground so it's easier for him to explode after the catch on a ball thrown lower. But if you made him 6'4, for the purpose of the topic he would still have the same agility and ability to accelerate after the catch regardless of where it's thrown. If you are seriously telling me you'd take the 5'9 version of Steve Smith over the SAME guy with the SAME abilities but add 7 inches you're completely insane. I'm really glad you're not running my franchise then.

Sorry, onto the topic lol. Yes I do think height and weight should be a factor in overall rating. It's just a lot easier for a guy to succeed with the prototypical physical attributes. More importantly though, height and weight should have a much more dramatic impact on gameplay than it does now. I also think there should be some kind of boost, a very small boost, if you draft or sign a FA that fits into the coaches philosophy and scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #82
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmick4324
If you are seriously telling me you'd take the 5'9 version of Steve Smith over the SAME guy with the SAME abilities but add 7 inches you're completely insane. I'm really glad you're not running my franchise then.
Would it matter?

A top WR is a top WR.

It's not like 5'9 Steve Smith is average but 6'4 Steve Smith is a HoFer.

If a 5'9 guy can perform to a high level, how would that be hurting a franchise if they picked him over the 6'4 guy who is also performing at a high level? That would be, basically, saying the Panthers hurt their franchise by taking Steve Smith instead of a 6'4 guy who's just as good. If both are "just as good" then how is one a bad choice?

Sounds like either one would be a fine choice because either one would be a top tier WR.

Now if shaving 7 inches off the 6'4 guy hampered his ability, then, yes, take the 6'4 guy who can perform for his skill set (i.e. height really matters to what he can do on the field).

But between two guys who can get me 1100-1500 yds a year? I say...either...or both.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #83
Pro

OVR: 13

I hate to say it but I think this topic is about the wrong thing. Yes, weight and height should factor into overall, but not directly. Height and weight should have an effect on gameplay, through the ratings. The ratings would then effect overall. So, if you changed a player's weight and height it would change some of their ratings and (according to position) this would then change overall.
In real life, yes, Steve Smith with the same skills but taller would probably be better. This isn't real life though, this is Madden. In Madden, two Steve Smiths with equal skills are just that - equal! Until weight and height matter in the individual skills of a player it makes no difference if the player's overall changes or not.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Would it matter?

A top WR is a top WR.

It's not like 5'9 Steve Smith is average but 6'4 Steve Smith is a HoFer.

If a 5'9 guy can perform to a high level, how would that be hurting a franchise if they picked him over the 6'4 guy who is also performing at a high level? That would be, basically, saying the Panthers hurt their franchise by taking Steve Smith instead of a 6'4 guy who's just as good. If both are "just as good" then how is one a bad choice?

Sounds like either one would be a fine choice because either one would be a top tier WR.

Now if shaving 7 inches off the 6'4 guy hampered his ability, then, yes, take the 6'4 guy who can perform for his skill set (i.e. height really matters to what he can do on the field).

But between two guys who can get me 1100-1500 yds a year? I say...either...or both.
Bro, you're misunderstanding again. If you were able to give Steve Smith a pill today that would add 7 inches of height, would you or would you not do it? If EVERYTHING stayed the same his speed, agility, acceleration etc., would you or would you not give him that pill? What would be the reason not to?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #85
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
I hate to say it but I think this topic is about the wrong thing. Yes, weight and height should factor into overall, but not directly. Height and weight should have an effect on gameplay, through the ratings. The ratings would then effect overall. So, if you changed a player's weight and height it would change some of their ratings and (according to position) this would then change overall.
In real life, yes, Steve Smith with the same skills but taller would probably be better. This isn't real life though, this is Madden. In Madden, two Steve Smiths with equal skills are just that - equal! Until weight and height matter in the individual skills of a player it makes no difference if the player's overall changes or not.
Thank you...some people, i tell you

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #86
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
Valid. They're two parts to a single change that EA needs to make, and that's making height and weight matter and having players value be affected accordingly.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #87
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

its all about balance... adding height and weight should increase some ratings and decrease others... being the "ideal" size for a position would be a balance between these ratings adjustments increasing the overall slightly....

you wouldn't want an antonio gates at WR because he is slightly less agile than NFL WR's ... but at tight end, he's the ideal size and he is a superstar... you wouldn't want mario williams playing linebacker for the same reason but at defensive end he is ideal and is a superstar

you want a certain size not too far below and not too far above
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 11

Alright, this is how it works guys:

5'9'' Steve Smith vs 6'4'' Steve Smith will all the same abilities, 6'4'' would win.

UNFORTUNATELY, if he grew to 6'4'' in real life he would have slower acceleration, and agility. Please by all means make height and weight matter, but make it both ways. A 6'4'' WR with max attributes will have less agility and acceleration INNATELY than a smaller player. That's why Sproles is so good, because he's small and quick like lightning.
24-8 Madden 12 Record.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »