Home

Weight and Height Should Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings

This is a discussion on Weight and Height Should Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should Weight and Height Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings???
Yah 58 65.91%
Nah 30 34.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Weight and Height Should Factor DIRECTLY Into OVR Ratings

[quote=mvb34;2040856084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
OVR is directly tied to how the AI values a given player. I'm not arguing for this, but it is, and always has been, a fact. If OVR isn't going anywhere, than I think this makes sense. A tall WR should have more value than a shorter one, everything else being held equal. More value=higher OVR.[/quote]

Carolina's Steve Smith will say otherwise..
Wrong. A 6'3 version of Steve Smith would be a whole lot better.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
OVR is directly tied to how the AI values a given player. I'm not arguing for this, but it is, and always has been, a fact. If OVR isn't going anywhere, than I think this makes sense. A tall WR should have more value than a shorter one, everything else being held equal. More value=higher OVR.

Except the more valuable players aren't always the ones with higher OVR.

The higher OVR player might have more AWR, but worse physical skills that end up making that AWR less useful on the field.

I love Derick Mason, but I would take Percy Harvin first because he is more of a weapon in Madden. Harvin is a upper 70's OVR WR, and he would perform better for me (and the AI) than some guys in the mid-upper 80's.

If OVR must stay, it needs to be heavily tweaked and re-balanced because right now, imo, it's as much a "trap" as it is something useful to go by.

Adding height/weight on top of it (especially since it doesn't do anything) would be even worse.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusdog
Maurice Jones Drew says no
As I said before, different positions would value heights differently.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Except the more valuable players aren't always the ones with higher OVR.

The higher OVR player might have more AWR, but worse physical skills that end up making that AWR less useful on the field.

I love Derick Mason, but I would take Percy Harvin first because he is more of a weapon in Madden. Harvin is a upper 70's OVR WR, and he would perform better for me (and the AI) than some guys in the mid-upper 80's.

If OVR must stay, it needs to be heavily tweaked and re-balanced because right now, imo, it's as much a "trap" as it is something useful to go by.

Adding height/weight on top of it (especially since it doesn't do anything) would be even worse.
You don't need to take my argument and tie it to a bunch of other things, like the overvaluing of awareness or whatever.

It's really simple: EVERYTHING ELSE BEING HELD EQUAL, a player who's build matches up with his position better/provides some sort of advantage should be rated higher.

* And again, i'm talking about a subtle difference in ranking, just enough so the AI can get the idea that this player has more value than the other.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

[quote=J Masta J;2040856105]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34

Wrong. A 6'3 version of Steve Smith would be a whole lot better.
Not really..
Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

[quote=mvb34;2040856282]
Quote:

Not really..
Do you have anything to back that up, or are two word responses with ellipses all you've got?

Steve Smith, if he suddenly grew 6 inches and retained all of his previous abilities, would be an absolute terror.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

[quote=J Masta J;2040856293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34

Do you have anything to back that up, or are two word responses with ellipses all you've got?

Steve Smith, if he suddenly grew 6 inches and retained all of his previous abilities, would be an absolute terror.

Steve Smith already dominates DBs him being 6'3" won't make that much of difference. Except maybe they will throw fades to him on the goal line..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 7

I agree, and the stupid thing is that EA made height and weight directly affect the OVR rating of imported rookies in NCAA when imported into Madden. You could have a RB with 99 everything, but if he is small for his position, his ratings will take a huge drop. Its so ****ing ********

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »