Home

Community Day Feedback?

This is a discussion on Community Day Feedback? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Community Day Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I can't speak for anyone else, but I had some posts that specifically itemized things that didn't make it. Certain cut scenes, banner outfittings, momentum. To me, those were huge especially since it was all stuff I was looking for. I just think some posters read those things and read too much into it and took it as if EA was playing some kind of bait-and-switch. Of course, when you combine that with the blogs in regards to things that didn't exactly pan out as planned, I can understand how they might think that, even if it was taken to an extreme.
Since Ian has already had a blog about locomotion can you guys comment on this yet? I would love to hear what you guys thought of this. IMO if locomotion is done correctly it wll make almost every aspect of gameplay MUCH better!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #34
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I had some posts that specifically itemized things that didn't make it. Certain cut scenes, banner outfittings, momentum. To me, those were huge especially since it was all stuff I was looking for. I just think some posters read those things and read too much into it and took it as if EA was playing some kind of bait-and-switch. Of course, when you combine that with the blogs in regards to things that didn't exactly pan out as planned, I can understand how they might think that, even if it was taken to an extreme.
Yeah, I guess that's what I'm getting at.

But still, and speaking strictly from a M10 standpoint, some of the weird things we saw in the alpha build last April made their way into the final build. I didn't think wrong players celebrating in cutscenes would make the final build -- yet those ill-placed scenes still made their way in. That's just one example obviously and that's not an attempt to call Tiburon out; but I just don't want users to always have the impression that we're potentially playing a totally different game April-August. I don't believe that to be the case, even through the various tweaks that occur.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
About the skilled moves with the right stick, I hope to god youre right. this is what ive been looking for nearly every year. you completely hit the nail on the head about the current juke system not being intuitive at all. There is NO SKILL involved in that. a locomotion system that requires the user to pull off tough moves with the right stick to perform a multitude of various moves are essential in separating good and bad gamers. i really hope that there are right stick moves such as in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8tgR...eature=related
It would go a long way in forcing gamers to be good on the sticks. Nothing sucks more than playing a guy who has no stick skills in other games, such as shooters or whatever, but then presses up constantly and trucks over people. Anyway, I'm not going to rant about trucking, (up could be better used as a jab where you flick up, then rotate a certain direction to pull off a lot of moves) but lets hope this makes the game.

Hopefully one of the community guys can talk about this.
See, I'm the exact opposite. For me nothing sucks quite as bad as getting beat by someone who has strong video game skills but little or no knowledge of football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 16

Im taking this years community day feedback just like all years with a grain of salt.... I have to LOL now just thinking about last years "AHHH this will be it...the way the players move/apply their weight is soooo realistic." Last year did me in....
Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #37
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
See, I'm the exact opposite. For me nothing sucks quite as bad as getting beat by someone who has strong video game skills but little or no knowledge of football.
I definitely agree that it sucks to be beaten by someone who has little knowledge of the game of football, but those players who cheese and do well online also don't have the stick skills. My point is that there really isn't much skill needed in Madden, and most sports games, at least until recently.THose who do well in Madden typically, which includes people who know nothing about football, win by exploiting the game's ai. You see cheese all the time from players rolling out all over the pocket, then launching a huge, accurate bomb to a wide receiver for a td. My point is also that the juke stick, or pressing up,down, left , or right, requires no skill whatsoever. But a locomotion system that requires the user to constantly pull of various, tough moves to get through the defense is key in separating good from bad gamers. Currently, I think FIFA,NHL, and well, baseball games have always required great timing, are all games that require great stick skills and knowledge of the sport. While I think that it does suck to get beat by someone who has little football knowledge, it's not because their good on the sticks, its because they know how to exploit the game. Overall, I hope this locomotion system is the start to requiring gamers to rely on true stick skills to get through a defense. Last year was a great year for Madden because, with the goal to create a very sim game, it led to the beginning a game that required football knowledge. There is still work to be done on this end, but there needs to be both football knowledge and stick skills required to do well.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #38
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Im taking this years community day feedback just like all years with a grain of salt.... I have to LOL now just thinking about last years "AHHH this will be it...the way the players move/apply their weight is soooo realistic." Last year did me in....
Well again, the dev team did confirm that they had to tweak the momentum settings to account for the AI last year; so I'm not certain if the CD guys should fall on the sword for your example.

However, if I learned anything last year, it's that people justifiably have different expectations for their videogames . We don't all see things through the same lens. I came back last year glowing about M10; and uh, I STILL play it today because I still like it. It would be one thing if CD guys were saying they loved the game in April, only to talk about how much they hated it when the game actually released. But I think we all remained consistent in our views. Those that liked it continued to like it. Those who had question marks or felt otherwise, stayed the course with their opinion (BezO for sure).

Please understand that I'm not attacking you or your views on being hesitant . I just don't think the picture should be painted as if we're people who flip the script when the game releases.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #39
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I did not leave with the impression that something I saw in M11 would not make it into the final build. In my own opinion and with ALL of the respect due to the other CD guys, I thought the "this was here in April and not in August" angle last year was a little overblown. Granted, some things were different/removed as confirmed by the dev team. But the difference between the alpha and final builds last year were not night and day (again my OWN opinion).
Well, you were actually there so I'll take your word for it. I don't really think it was the other CD guys that were blowing things out of proportion. I think they just listed things that changed and people went crazy, myself included lol. It also didn't help that almost every person that went to CD last year came back saying "this year could be the year for Madden." I personally remember seeing one CD guy( can't remember who) talk about how defenders would over run plays and what not because the momentum was so good, but on the final version, the momentum was nowhere like it was on the CD build that you all played. That's a pretty important difference IMO.

Quote:
I don't really think it was a deal of bait and switch so much as it was not being totally truthful. I mean the devs were here last year. They saw all the hype the CD guys were causing because they were talking about great things that they had seen in the game on CD and while the devs knew it was no longer in the game, they never said anything. That's the way I look at it. I'm sure if someone, anyone, had come out and said sorry guys we couldn't get this, this, and this in, then I don't think there would have been so many people upset. I think I'm going into a new topic so I'll stop there. Another reason I don't consider it a bait and switch is because only a few people actually SAW the game. By the time, the CD guys could talk about everything, there were already numerous videos all over the web so the majority didn't have anything to compare it too but those vids.

Quote:
I feel ya man. I love the chess match of football so I hate it when someone calls the wrong play but are able to make up for it with their strong stick skills. My boy plays with the safety and he can be in the worst defense ever, but still stop me because he can fly all over the place with the safety. It's not as bad now as it used to be on the PS2 days, but man I hate that. He's the opposite of me. His stick skills are good, but his playcalling sucks. Combine that with the fact that he knows my tendencies and that means we normally have close games. Personally, I feel that, if I call the right play and you call the wrong play, I should be rewarded lol. I just feel that the strategic side should out weigh the stick skill. That's just my opinion though......probably cause I'm not a big stick skill guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
So true. Yeah this board was buzzing last year, all the way until the game dropped lol. I'm sure a lot of people are taking the same approach as you, especially after last year. I know I am.

Last edited by splff3000; 04-13-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
+1.

this.

i agree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »