Home

If The Blocking & Footwork Don't Look Like This.....

This is a discussion on If The Blocking & Footwork Don't Look Like This..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: If The Blocking & Footwork Don't Look Like This.....

So spot on man. Honestly I think the programmers were rushed into creating the engine for this generation of systems. That is what started a big part of it. Because we all know the last-gen system was much better overall. Secondly I think EA executives meddle more in Madden/NCAA as they are their money makers. They put resources into gimmicks more than correcting problems. Third, the lack of competition keeps perpetuating these mistakes.

The whole Madden/NCAA series reminds me of Triple Play baseball. It was a fun series that just got worse and worse and people eventually just quit playing it, went to the competition and EA was forced to do a drastic reboot on it. If you need another example look at NHL hockey. It was a good series, got worse and worse and the games competition killed it so EA did a reboot and fixed the core gameplay.

Now look at Madden/NCAA. Both series were heralded series at one point and have been getting progressively worse and worse as they continue on. Now normally this is the part where the competition kicks in and EA's butts get kicked to the point where the product is rebooted and FIXED. But no competition means this has not happened.

So that's my analysis of the entire situation.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #58
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by myownsun
Yeah but madden is not kobe or lebron madden is more like harold miner
LOL!!! Now THAT was funny.

I wish I could go back & enjoy 2K5. I still have my copy. It's just too outdated.

But if there's one thing Madden does better than 2K5, it's running animations. As bad as Madden's are, 2K5's were worse.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #59
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Out of curiosoty, if you don't buy Madden 11 for whatever reason, what is the backup plan. How will you get your football fix?
I may end up doing what i've done for the past 5 years and just go without, I'm going to wait until play the demo for both games before i make my decision but it doesn't look good so far.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #60
MVP

myownsun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
If you didn't play 2K5 the first time around, and are just gonna play it tomorrow, it won't blow you away like you think.

I picked up 2K5 last year having played Madden for like 4 years. I can appreciate was 2k5 does but really, its simply too outdated.
True but what's wild is some things in that game are STILL better than madden 10

commentary
presentation
animations
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #61
Banned

Quote:
True but what's wild is some things in that game are STILL better than madden 10

commentary
presentation
animations
Not running animations, but I agree on everything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #62
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I gladly accept your meaningless award, the academy can kiss my...

Really? Do you feel better now? I did not know the "sentence structure police" played video games. U get that out ur system, yet, or wood u bewantin anuvver heppin?
LMAO! Nice!
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #63
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

commentary
presentation
animations
add expression of real physics & pass velocity/trajectory variation to that list.

& I will go ahead & disagree with those who say Madden's running animations were better, in 2K5 there were several (slightly) different running styles, & the players would get skinny in the 'holes', turn their hips, stumble, & lean.... & all of the transitions between these animations were very smooth.

Last edited by The Lob Mob; 04-30-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 2

2K (take your pick, the lionized 2K5 or the actually superior 2K8) simply had better "football" logic and implementation.

The blocking execution is just one often cited example; but its true across the entire field:

- the pure physics based REALITY of these OL-DL portrayals - ie. when a OL player gets beat to the outside, they try to latch on and guide the rusher, when they get beat to the inside, they try to grab the guy, etc.)- running backs lacking Mario-running and actually using their hands on the back of the OL to move to one side or the other (Madden 11 - Mario Running CONFIRMED in video clips already seen!),

- WR's and DB's actually hand fighting for position off the BnR coverage (Madden / NCAA 11 clips do not show ANYTHING that looks different in this core element of gameplay versus the previous 4 or 5 releases)

- animations of the QB drops, the actual speed and trajectory of the ball when passed (including the height of the pass and the ability to place the ball); again, its started to sound like beating a dead horse back in the run up to Madden NFL 09...but these details, fundamentals to actual football, remain missing in action from EA football games even in the videos that are showing off the upcoming M11/NCAA11 releases.

I have tried (and failed) in the past to let the guys at EA know about this stuff. In their defense, in M10 they stole HUGE amounts of stuff from NFL2K5 (pre-game stuff, some sideline cutscenes, trainers on the field, injury scenes, etc.) but their implementation into the game was hamfisted and did not help them overall as much as it should have or as the amount of work that went into it probably deserved. BUT, unless and until they start to address the fundamental flaws of their game (something that CLEARLY has NOT happened for M11/NCAA11 based on the video evidence available to date) then its going to be the same old song and dance this year as it has been for the last 4-5 years running now...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »