Home

Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison)

This is a discussion on Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison)

I play mostly music games and sports games.

This thread is not meant to bash, but rather provide constructive criticism.

I said I played music games as well as sports. I am a HUGE Rock Band fan. In my view, Harmonix is one of the best developers out there for a number of reasons. I understand that this is a Madden board, but just read my list and ask yourself if you would say these things about EA's Madden team:

1) This is the BIGGEST ONE for me: Whether you like them or not, it is absolutely CLEAR that the developers at Harmonix are PASSIONATE about music and the games they make. These guys LOVE what they do and as a result, they think of all the little details that their gaming community ALSO wants to see (because they are just as "hardcore" as we are). Nothing seems to take them by surprise, because they CARE as much as even their most hardcore gamers.

2) I would buy ANY Harmonix product sight-unseen. Why? Because they have EARNED my complete trust by consistently putting out top-notch products that are polished, really fun, and have incredible replay value.

3) Just about EVERY TIME I've said "man, I'm worried about _____" it turns out once I play the game or see a video that Harmonix made the right choice in terms of features/gameplay. They just always seem to get it "right" for most of their fanbase. Like I said, they care as much as we do.

4) I feel like the developers at Harmonix are my "buddies." They post on their official forums DAILY, and you can interact with them easily. They love to slip little hints about upcoming DLC and stuff to their forum-goers on a regular basis. AND they do twitter, blogs, etc. TONS of interaction with the gaming community. As such, it feels like a real online community, something Madden lacks because the devs don't really do that. One blog every 3-4 weeks for a few months does not cut it.

5) When the Rock Band community REALLY WANTS something, Harmonix will generally go out of its way to make it happen. There are countless examples, but suffice it to say that overall I would say the Rock Band community is much happier with the product than the Madden community (judging from the boards anyway). When something doesn't happen, there is always a very good reason for it (i.e Jimmy Page refusing to play ball).

OVERALL:

I just don't see a PASSION FOR FOOTBALL in Madden's developers. That, IMO is the biggest issue. Sure they're fans, but they miss SO MANY things that could easily be fixed that I can only assume they are CASUAL football fans put in charge of making the only NFL game.

Proof?

Look at last year's franchise. They had to PATCH IN the details of where a player was drafted. A casual fan would not notice that, whereas a hardcore football fan WOULD. There are so many examples just like that.

BTW, as football fans overall become MORE HARDCORE, MORE immersed into details like stats, contracts, etc. (FANTASY FOOTBALL, anyone?!) the Madden team wants to make a game that is LESS hardcore.

Again, they are missing the obvious trend within their own sport's fanbase.

I just think it's as simple as not being absolutely passionate about football, and therefore making a game that lacks many elements of "polish" that a hardcore NFL fan would want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison)

i'm pretty sure Tiburon is passionate...
Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I have no problem with this thread so long as it stays innocent. The OP presented a well thought out and civil criticism. We are not here to hamper anyone's feelings so long as they are respectful. Keep it respectful and you guys can have your back and forth.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 06-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't if this is true but I get this feeling aswell sometimes. I'm not really sure if all the developers truely love football or if they were just sent to Tiburon by EA.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktwain77
I just don't see a PASSION FOR FOOTBALL in Madden's developers.
I would guess many of the individual programmers -- the grunts -- are passionate about what they do. The issue as I see it (as with all corporations, including some I've worked for) is that the know-nothing idiots in the head office who have the final say on development and budgetary considerations, don't give a fig about anything except the company's bottomline. The closest they probably get to ever playing the game is watching Madden adverts on TV.

With a small company like Harmonix, no doubt the same people who are making those game-development decisions, also have a hands-on experience of the game as its being tested and developed. That's the difference-maker.

Last edited by baa7; 06-12-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I would guess many of the individual programmers -- the grunts -- are passionate about what they do. The issue as I see it (as with all corporations, including some I've worked for) is that the know-nothing idiots in the head office who have the final say on development and budgetary considerations, don't give a fig about anything except the company's bottomline.

With a small company like Harmonix, no doubt the same people who are making those game-development decisions, also have a hands-on experience of the game as its being tested and developed. That's the difference-maker.
Good post. The difference I see is that other developers (EA's NHL franchise, for example) seem to take the fan feedback and do their best to incorporate it into the game, i.e., giving them what they want to a degree.

With Madden, it appears to be less fan feedback and more of their own agenda, then trying to convince the fans that their agenda is what the fans will want. Not sure where that comes from, I don't know. I'm curious as to who makes the roadmapping decisions. Moore? Just not sure.

Last edited by Flamehead; 06-12-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
Good post. The difference I see is that other developers (EA's NHL franchise, for example) seem to take the fan feedback and do their best to incorporate it into the game, i.e., giving them what they want to a degree.

With Madden, it appears to be less fan feedback and more of their own agenda, then trying to convince the fans that their agenda is what the fans will want. Now where that comes from, I don't know. I'm curious as to who makes the roadmapping decisions. Moore? Just not sure.
NCAA took a survey and incorporated the most requested features. And people are loving it atm.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead

With Madden, it appears to be less fan feedback and more of their own agenda, then trying to convince the fans that their agenda is what the fans will want. Now sure where that comes from, I don't know. I'm curious as to who makes the roadmapping decisions. Moore? Just not sure.
I understand what you are saying and agree to some extent, but then, how to you explain 10's marketing and asking for a wish list at OS over a year ago.

Accordingly, a good chunk of the wish list made it into Madden 10.

That is what is baffling to me.

They took a whole new different approach this year and I think it has to do with declining or stagnant sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »