Home

The Tim Tebow Effect

This is a discussion on The Tim Tebow Effect within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Rookie

Ultimo's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Tim Tebow Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
First, I've seen a lot of people panic uneccesarily over the Tim Tebow video. While Tebow is running through several 'STRIP TACKLES', those are the easiest tackles to break regardless of the player carrying the ball. Any player can break a strip tackle with ease.

Second, unlike Madden '04 which had no contain or buzz (purple) zone assignments, Madden 11 will have both. While it's still easy to get outside the pocket in Madden, it's no longer because the assignment tools aren't available but rather because few people utilize the Contain when they need to contain someone. Utilizing the CB blitz, blitz/spy combo, and contain assignments work wonders to prevent QB's from getting outside... But people have to use them for them to work. Failing this, it's no surprise QB's can get outside anytime they want.

Later
The defense assignments do make a big difference in the hands of a skilled player but theirs still so much you have to worry about with his ratings in the game. Play action pass are going to be hard to defend unless you call out the right defense. We dont even know about some of the other Tewbow specific plays that might have in their version of the wildcat.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
Rookie

Ultimo's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
I know this doesn't totally tie in with the point the OP is making in this thread, but I just got to thinking. I would like to see "mechanics" and "delivery" ratings or something else like that that would further hinder the ability of quarterbacks like Tebow and Jamarcus Russell. I know accuracy is kind of tied to the mechanics of a QB, but it just seems like if you get the accuracy rating up, then guys like this become very good, when that isn't the case in real life. Especially in the case of Jamarcus Russell, his accuracy was horrible, but so were his mechanics, delivery and just about everything other than his howitzer-like arm strength.

I just think extra ratings like the ones I mentioned above would make it much harder to take a quarterback with one good trait (like arm strength) and turn him in to a Pro Bowler so quickly.
The mechanics/delivery rating would be something awesome but we probaly wont see anything like that until the next wave of consoles come out or the day Madden will be over $60 bucks.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo
The defense assignments do make a big difference in the hands of a skilled player but theirs still so much you have to worry about with his ratings in the game. Play action pass are going to be hard to defend unless you call out the right defense. We dont even know about some of the other Tewbow specific plays that might have in their version of the wildcat.
My problem with this extends well beyond Tebow but with playaction passing in general. I seem to remember something about NCAA Football have a playcall system where setting up plays was supposed to affect their success. Does Madden 11 or NCAA Football 11 have this and does it work? I get so sick of seeing gamers call PA passes repeatedly without having any prior running success or on 3rd/4th & long and at the end of the half/game outside the redzone.

A QBs PA rating should effect how skilled they are at PA mechanics, not how the entire defense reacts, IMO. Individual defensive player reaction should be based on their Play Recegnition rating and should fluctuate, all game, relative to the offensive playcall. That way, the more a play is repeatedly called, the better defenders are at adjusting to it. This would also apply to the offensive players adjusting to repeated defensive calls. It would even be great for setting up other offensive plays and an incentive for disguising defenses.

I think this is part of Adaptive AI and I wonder what happened to that alleged next-gen Madden feature.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
MVP

CaliDude916's Arena

OVR: 14

I'll be lowering his ratings anyway so it doesn't matter. Toughness, carrying, awareness, throw power, and trucking especially is going down. 83 trucking? really? No way he should have an 83 trucking rating. That's like giving Albert Haynesworth 99 speed.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by CaliDude916; 07-02-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
Rookie

prime21time37's Arena

OVR: 5

no one knows what tebow will be like because he hasnt played a game yet. we are fussing about his strength, carry and truck ratings. these were all things he was great at in college. if he comes out like joe montana then we will have a gripe. in 04 no one liked michael vick because they thought he was too fast. in real life he was the fastest guy on the field. unfortunately, he through like dan marino which was not real. my point is as long as tebows passing skills are not like tom bradys then i think his running is deserved. not his fault the game is flawed and lbs cant tackle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

i don't think containment is that great in '10. i was killing a guy using vince young, all madden difficulty. i only ran with him 2 or 3 plays a game for around 20 yards or so. but i was able to buy so much time with his speed that it was ridiculous. maybe it was his playcalling. but i would think containing the qb would be something the defense should do automatically. no?

btw, i know he was calling a lot of zones. i know that, in years past, man to man is where a fast qb would burn you.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #23
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

Its going to be very interesting how J. McD uses Tebow, will he try to win the Gator way by running the spread option or with somekind of gimmicky offense like the wildcat? during interviews McD has said Tebow has a lot of work to do learning the offense and that is what I personally wanted to hear, Vick was by far the greatest athlete to ever play the qb position and won a lot of games running around, but only one playoff game. only time will tell.

personally, the Tebow effect is no different for me than it would be for any rookie qb in his first year. He has better ratings overall than Orton or Quinn so he should be the oppening day starter in the Madden world.

one of the biggest factors imo is deep throw accuracy, played in a Madden 10 online league, but could only get in if I would agree to use the Faiders! I thought to myself how bad could J. Marc be? he does have a rifle arm right?
every ball I tried to throw over 15 yards would sail 20 to 40 yards over the wr head into the stands, lol! didnt matter wether I was standing in the pocket or scrambling. Tebow comes in with a 79 deep ball, not great but fair and this number will make him the starter day one in my offense...
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't know how effective Tebow will be because I haven't played with/against him yet. As a general rule though, I don't like the idea of crippling players or the game as a whole. As long as we have enough defensive options to neutralize a player, then its fair game. Thats just part of the strategy. If Tebow brings a new dimension to Madden, thats OK because he likely will do the same in the NFL. In the NFL, defenses will make adjustments to account for his abilities the same way they did with Vick. We just need to have the same options in Madden. You just have to be willing to adjust when you are facing an unconventional talent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »