Home

Hows your franchise playing?

This is a discussion on Hows your franchise playing? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #569
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Hows your franchise playing?

Restarted my franchise and just finished my first post 1.03 patch season last night.

Feel my slider set just about works for me. I went 4 - 0 before slipping a little to 9 - 7. Most games were fairly competitive (got blown out by NO in the 4th quarter, but was under a score until then).

So winning NFC West, I made the wild-card play-offs against the Falcons at Qwest Field. What transpired would have to be the worst example of CPU cheesing I've yet seen. My first half plays were near perfect while the Falcons looked sluggish, so I went into halftime 24 - 7 up.

Second half looked like I'd just changed the sliders to half-past All Madden. 9 in 10 passes I made to a wide open WR (with the ball going straight into their hands) got dropped. Meanwhile Michael Turner suddenly develops the ability to singly truck through Bryant, Cole, Tatupu, Curry and the rest of the D THREE times in a quarter. Even when I blitzed.

C'mon... a few more dropped passes or one magic run, I'd be ok with. But the CPU deciding to outright cheat? Just cheeses me off.

Anyway, I lost the game 31-27, and put a pall over what was actually a good, competitive season.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #570
Rookie

OVR: 17

Well the season is finally over. I simulated the Playoffs, and chose to be a spectator for the Super Bowl match up that came down between the Minnesota Vikings and the New England Patriots.

It was an incredible game, that had an unbelievable finish with Brett Favre connecting with Vincent Jackson on the very last play of the game to win the Super Bowl.

I was shocked as I thought it was going to go to Overtime, which would be cool as no Super Bowl has gone to OT, but the game had an even better ending to it.

Looking forward to season 2 as this opening season for my Dynasty was filled with excitement.

It's going to take awhile though as I expect it'll be a few days before I finally get through the off season, which is -ridiculous- when trying to control all 32 teams. A shame the AI is ********.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #571
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
They NFL has a list of players they consider to be "bona fide" quarterbacks. You can't put these players into other positions on the roster. The was most noted when Vick when to the Eagles, and people thought he could play anytime. So you can't just list a player like Tebow or Vick as a WR, and bypass it. They are on the list. The 3rd emergency QB can only come into the game in the 4th quarter, without the penalty of the 1st and 2nd not being able to play again.

Of course, Madden doesn't follow such rules, and you can play anyone, at anytime.
No, I do not believe that is necessarily correct.

The "third QB rule" only applies if you intend to dress 46 players on game day. The 46 players are 45 for the standard roster and 1 who falls under the "third QB rule". In this scenario, if the Eagles wanted to dress Vick and still carry 46 players, he MUST be the emegency third QB. All the "third QB rule" stuff then applies to him as you stated above.

However, if the Eagles only dressed 45 and DO NOT take that extra 46th man as an emergency 3rd QB, then they are free to play any of those 45 guys at any position, at any time, without penalty. On a 45 man gameday roster, Vick could dress as a QB and substitute with the other two QBs willy-nilly all game long.

The "3rd QB Rule" only comes into effect when teams want that 46th player to dress on gameday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #572
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hows your franchise playing? Badly

Broncos now 1-5. Had some close losses, lost by 2 scores to the Colts, but I've been BLOWN AWAY by the Jets. Only positive is that that's the toughest part of the schedule over with, (bar 2 games with San Diego). I've 2 games vs the Raiders and Chiefs still go, plus Arizona, St. Louis and San Francisco. Need to pick things up ASAP. I wouldn't say it's an overstatement that the next game is a must win!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #573
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
No, I do not believe that is necessarily correct.

The "third QB rule" only applies if you intend to dress 46 players on game day. The 46 players are 45 for the standard roster and 1 who falls under the "third QB rule". In this scenario, if the Eagles wanted to dress Vick and still carry 46 players, he MUST be the emegency third QB. All the "third QB rule" stuff then applies to him as you stated above.

However, if the Eagles only dressed 45 and DO NOT take that extra 46th man as an emergency 3rd QB, then they are free to play any of those 45 guys at any position, at any time, without penalty. On a 45 man gameday roster, Vick could dress as a QB and substitute with the other two QBs willy-nilly all game long.

The "3rd QB Rule" only comes into effect when teams want that 46th player to dress on gameday.
Interesting. I always thought there was a roster limit of 2, and then the 3rd guy was the +1.

What got me was a couple weeks ago, when Dixon got hurt for the Steelers, they had to bring in Batch, and he was the only QB left. They had to release Leftwich, to make room for another DL on the 45 man roster. I didn't get why Leftwich couldn't have been that +1 guy. I thought maybe the suspended Roethlisberger was taking up a space on the roster.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #574
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_turner
Hows your franchise playing? Badly

Broncos now 1-5. Had some close losses, lost by 2 scores to the Colts, but I've been BLOWN AWAY by the Jets. Only positive is that that's the toughest part of the schedule over with, (bar 2 games with San Diego). I've 2 games vs the Raiders and Chiefs still go, plus Arizona, St. Louis and San Francisco. Need to pick things up ASAP. I wouldn't say it's an overstatement that the next game is a must win!
You too, I'm 1-4 with my Vikings
Division Championships
NFC North: 0
Conference Championships
NFC: 0
NFL Championships: 0
Playoff Appearances: 0
Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #575
Rookie

OVR: 2

Man oh man oh man, lost a heartbreaker to the Cowboys, that type of game where you lead by less than a field goal and then they run out the clock while getting into field goal range and winning with that field goal, i lost 25-23 and the Vikings record is now 1-4 and playoffs are most likely now out of the picture, good signs from that game though, my awesome run defence is back, up to the 4th quarter they only had 2 rushing yards from about 20 carries, they ended up with 14 rushing yards, only good thing.
Division Championships
NFC North: 0
Conference Championships
NFC: 0
NFL Championships: 0
Playoff Appearances: 0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #576
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
Interesting. I always thought there was a roster limit of 2, and then the 3rd guy was the +1.

What got me was a couple weeks ago, when Dixon got hurt for the Steelers, they had to bring in Batch, and he was the only QB left. They had to release Leftwich, to make room for another DL on the 45 man roster. I didn't get why Leftwich couldn't have been that +1 guy. I thought maybe the suspended Roethlisberger was taking up a space on the roster.
I'll be the first to admit that I could have missed a rule change... or I never understood the rule in the first place. The NFL is great at making a pretty simple game really, really difficult.

But I always understood the emergency QB rule to be about that extra roster spot... the 46th man you could dress. Over the last 20 years or however long it's been since that rule came into effect, I think teams have gotten used to dressing 46. The reason why it has got attention recently in the case of players like Vick and Pat White in Miami is because the teams are trying to weasel. They want to dress 46 players, while keeping guys like Vick and White available for other duty... like WR or Wildcat stuff or whatever. The NFL then came down with it's "bona fide" QB list to put a stop to that crap. If you get an extra roster spot to dress an "emergency 3rd QB", then the NFL wants to make sure he only plays QB and it's only during an emergency.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »