Home

Fantastic Presentation, if only it was Madden

This is a discussion on Fantastic Presentation, if only it was Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Fantastic Presentation, if only it was Madden

I've been playing 2K11 nonstop since its release, and I haven't enjoyed a 2K game since NBA2K a few years back, the one with KG on the cover. This game is simply incredible. The presentation is the best ever, of any sports title. Period. From the commentary to the recaps to everything, it feels so fluid and natural. Not like it's strung together. No hiccups with loading or anything, which I find insane, given the long amount of load times on Madden and how it will take like 5 seconds for the screen to pop up when you hit start. I've always loved the fact that you could DL user-created draft classes for your franchise, too. That's an awesome feature.

In terms of depth, the only game I've seen that touches this is the Show. When you look at the ratings/tendencies, it's mindboggling the amount of customization there is to this game. This game was created to truly simulate a sport, and make the players play like their real life counter-parts.

I haven't touched Madden in weeks. I stopped playing it before NBA 2K even came out. I'll be turning it in to Gamestop the next time I buy a game, because I'm done with it. I've said it before, the whole "I'm done buying Madden" line, and it's been a lie. Because I need a football game. At this point...I simply do not need a football game this badly. When you look at how freaking good the Show is. And when you look at how freaking good NBA2K is. Madden is an embarrassment in comparison. That's not flaming, that is just the fact of the matter. Those two games are so much further along than Madden that it's embarrassing. I don't know if it's a lack of effort thing, but I think it's rather obvious that it's a technical thing. You simply see NBA/MLB doing MORE in terms of animations, and presentation, gameplay, their games are more fluid in every way.

If I want to cross-over and then step back and hit a quick jumper in NBA2K, I can do it. If I want to slap an outside pitch to the opposite field in the Show, I can do it. If I want to throw a fade to the back of the end zone in Madden...I can't do it. Because Madden technically, is not on that level. Isn't that a shame? That it's simply not on the level to complete a simple throw and catch that you see on every Sunday? The game has been in next-gen for a number of years now, and it's not even scratching the surface of its potential, while the other titles mentioned, have done so.

Mostly, I feel the gameplay for Madden sucks because the technology sucks. They're not pushing next-gen like the other games are. They could implement the massive amount of ratings/tendencies that NBA2K does, but what would it matter considering ratings mean next to nothing in Madden, given the engine? There's so much wrong with this game, and when I can see what the other games are doing compared to it, it simply is not worth $60.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Well, I'll have to disagree when it comes to playing the actual game. It does need much work but I find myself playing both faithfully. First time in years I've actually played multiple franchises and dynasties.

Presentation on the other hand, I most definitely agree with you guys there. We're what, 6 iterations in on this generation of consoles now?

What do you guys actually think the problem is though? Do they not have the technical expertise to pull it off, dont care about it, not much creativity, what? I'm thinking by now they should have something going on, especially NCAA.

I say NCAA because if I'm not mistaken its been the same guys this whole 6 years correct? Didn't really have a personnel shake up like Madden had when Ian took over. I could be wrong but I dont think they had that shake up. What do we get this year? A PAUSE menu at halftime??!! Seriously?! Thats just unsat, I cant bite my tongue anymore on this.

I just cant believe that they dont notice this, these guys aren't living in a bubble. They have to see what other sports titles are doing, they have to.

It seems the company throws money around for no reason at all. I'm referring to them getting the ESPN rights or what have you. Then what? 6 years in we finally get what, an ESPN wipe in between plays ????? Seriously guys? I think you can do way better than that. I wont say I think, I know you all can do better than that.....right?

I dont know how the whole sponsor/advertisement thing works, but if they had to shell out money for that reese cup addition they could've saved a substantial amount of money (that is if they paid for that. Like I say, I'm not aware of how that works).

Why not create your own EA network and use that? They could utilize what they have in game and it would do just fine. If you guys notice, look at the bill boards during one of your games. You'll see, modemo coffee, fruit star, orieon surf gear, knobby tires, and many more. Now I'm assuming that those are fictitious companies that were made up correct?

Instead of having every single game sponsored by reeses, why not use whats already there, make up a catch phrase for the company, and utilize those adds. That would bring variety every game. Each game could be sponsored by one or two of those fictitious companies. Who would you have to pay for that, no one, Its your own creation. Its already in the game, on billboards, USE it.

Just to throw something else out there, why not get creative and anytime I pause the game, that would be a commercial break. When you hit pause, the commentator will state "We'll be back after these words from our sponsors" then a modemo coffee slogan pops up or something.

They really need to step up their presentation. They are way behind the power curve, and I dont want to believe that they dont know this.

Last edited by TheCreep; 10-12-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 0

eh, im satisfied with the commentating in madden =)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #68
MVP

OVR: 15

If EA doesn't want to make there gameplay more SIM, and step up there presentation, that's fine. As long as two years from now the license is gone and we have more options on what football games we can buy. This maybe how EA chooses to make there football games, and alot of people still want to buy it because that's what they want. Lets just hope that in two years we will atleast have options when it comes to purchasing a football game, oh yeah NBA 2K11 is fantastic, if only Sony and 2K were allowed to make football games.....
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #69
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

At first, I loved the presentation of 2k11, but after playing more games I noticed it had some major issues. I started a fantasy draft Association and I listen to commentators talk about players who are no longer on my team as if they were (Example I am the Warriors playing against the Rockets and the Annoucer starts to talk about how Curry and Ellis will do this year and what impact Yao Ming will have coming back from injury). Dont get me wrong, it is still better than Madden, but its not 100% perfect -- Not yet anyway
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #70
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Ever since I got 2k11 I haven't touched any other game. Madden and NCAA are so boring and lifeless compared to 2k11. 2k11 has realistic gameplay, sim stats, franchise mode, presentation, graphics, atmosphere, etc. It completely embarrasses Madden 11 and NCAA 11.

Every time I play 2k11 I am amazed. This is the best sports game released ever. Surpasses 2k5 and 2k8 and their child if they had one. NBA Today was a great addition.

2k11 proved you don't need network licenses to get presentation that matches real TV networks. Their generic 2k Network puts the EA and ESPN presentations to shame in EA's games.

I know I am basically just bashing Madden, but after playing 2k11 I know what developers can accomplish when they really want to produce a great game and Madden is nothing close to that. I could only imagine what 2k football would be like. NFL Today, awesome presentation, simulation and casual settings, etc. The game would probably top NBA 2k11.
^^^^This is EXACTLY what I was thinking about writing and I could not have written it better!

When Devs want to create AMAZING, it is possible.....
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #71
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Back on to Madden's (lack of) presentation and depth; My rookie QB just won the MVP award (
Spoiler
)...as a rookie!!!

He led the Bucs from 5-11 to 10-6 and a Wild Card game.

He was making his first playoff start.

He led the NFL in total yards (91 speed, 99 THP!).

I had 3 rookies starting on offense.

The Redskins (who the Bucs were playing in the W.C. game) were using thier 3rd string QB.

Was any of this mentioned in game at any point during the presentation of the wild card game?

Nope....

Madden needs to have programming to bring a few of these tidbits to light. Just like 2k11. I would be floored if at the start of my game Gus Johnson referenced that my QB was the MVP of the regular season or that the Bucs went from 5-11 to 10-6 in one season.

Here's hoping this thread is read by someone at EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
The presentation is the best ever, of any sports title. Period. From the commentary to the recaps to everything, it feels so fluid and natural. Not like it's strung together.
One word: IMMERSION

two words: TOTAL IMMERSION

I am seriously blown away by the presentation-aspect that NBA2K11 immerses the user with.. case in point

the Halftime Reports *ARE NOT PRE-SCRIPTED*... I seriously sit and listen/watch to it and they go into detail that no script does..
-sometimes talks about your teams' history, in my case.. a 6 game losing streak
-sometimes talks about your playoff chances
-talks about your last game, which just happened to be a double overtime thriller

there's just such love poured into NBA2K11 that has destroyed Madden in my eyes more than it already has been in the past

like I said, I personally have not supported EA with my $$$$ ever since they moved to next-gen ditching coach mode/etc so for years upon years now, I've held them in the lowest regard

I'm finally just getting back into Madden since they returned coach mode/got some great nfl head coach ideas/etc but it doesn't take the fact that Madden is completely cold and lifeless and has no immersion factor whatsoever

it's like fast food.. you hunger and crave for NFL fix and that's what madden gives but it has no lasting appeal or worth or anything of substance

I see what 2K has done and it's seriously mind boggling how they can immerse and incorporate such detail into this.. it's not scripted at all.. it totally builds on your franchise from the moment it begins.. that is immersion folks

total immersion

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »