Home

Playmaker?!?!?

This is a discussion on Playmaker?!?!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Playmaker?!?!?

I'm sorry guys. I just don't get it yet. The PRE-snap stuff I can do, but the in-play directing traffic stuff..... UGGGHHHHH!!!! I don't have time to do it. It's not part of my normal thinking process, plus, by the time I do think to us it, it ends up boning me moreso because I have to fuddle with the buttons. Sure, call me uncoordinated, but the bottomline is that I'm not feeling it. If I can't use the in-play stuff, then Playmaker, in my opinion, boils down to the same pre-snap adjustments that you can do in ESPN.

Someone help me through this please.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Playmaker?!?!?

I don't have Madden cuz I just don't want it but Practice makes perfect. Also do the blockers make good blocks by themselves or is it all reliant on you with playmaker.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm in the same boat man. I'm trying to use the in-play playmaker stuff but it seems to be causing more problems for me instead of helping. IMHO, the only use for controlling the WR downfield is when you have a mobile QB, and playing my franchise with the Bills doesn't give me that opportunity. Even if I wanted to use that part of the system I wouldn't have enough time as I already have enough troubles getting the ball away in time before getting leveled. As for directing blockers in the running game, forget about it unless you are in the open field, in which case I've found it's easier to just juke/spin around defenders instead of worrying about what my blocker is doing. Even when I do try to direct a blocker downfield things don't seem to go the way I anticipate. The only time I really use the playmaker during a play is on defense to bring the rush on running plays. All of the before the play stuff is nice, but not that big of a deal to me. However, having said that I am still enjoying the game for the most part, it's just when I read a quote in IGN's review that went something like "You'll wonder how you ever played a game before without Playmaker" I was expecting a little more.

EDIT: As for the question above, so far I've found that blockers do better on there own. Maybe that will change when I get used to the controls.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:

CLASSIFIED said:
I don't have Madden cuz I just don't want it but Practice makes perfect. Also do the blockers make good blocks by themselves or is it all reliant on you with playmaker.

Uh, for now, I'll have to say, no. I think it's mostly my fault in that I'm trying to run I would (did) in real life, but this is a video game so I think I'm not helping my blockers as much as I need to. I DO think they are thinking about picking up the right defenders, but so far no luck.

To be honest, I'm in the group of ex-jocks that don't think this "feature" has place in the game. But I won't go into that. I've left it alone up to this point.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:34 AM   #5
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:

rgmiller2k said:
I'm in the same boat man. I'm trying to use the in-play playmaker stuff but it seems to be causing more problems for me instead of helping. IMHO, the only use for controlling the WR downfield is when you have a mobile QB, and playing my franchise with the Bills doesn't give me that opportunity. Even if I wanted to use that part of the system I wouldn't have enough time as I already have enough troubles getting the ball away in time before getting leveled. As for directing blockers in the running game, forget about it unless you are in the open field, in which case I've found it's easier to just juke/spin around defenders instead of worrying about what my blocker is doing. Even when I do try to direct a blocker downfield things don't seem to go the way I anticipate. The only time I really use the playmaker during a play is on defense to bring the rush on running plays. All of the before the play stuff is nice, but not that big of a deal to me. However, having said that I am still enjoying the game for the most part, it's just when I read a quote in IGN's review that went something like "You'll wonder how you ever played a game before without Playmaker" I was expecting a little more.

EDIT: As for the question above, so far I've found that blockers do better on there own. Maybe that will change when I get used to the controls.

You are the man. I totally agree about the IGN statement. I've said before, for the first time, I was starting to fall into the trance created by the hype. Evenyone is touting the playmaker controls, so I was/am expecting quite a bit more than what I'm getting or what I'm using. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong so that I see what all the hype was about. Should I just chalk it up as a fancy-named pre-play adjustment system, with some hard to use in-play applications? I don't know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

Boilerbuzz said:
To be honest, I'm in the group of ex-jocks that don't think this "feature" has place in the game. But I won't go into that. I've left it alone up to this point.

Hehe, I played left tackle throughout highschool, and I don't ever remember my RB/QB pointing out blockers from behind me. Well, maybe he was, but I sure as hell couldn't see him.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:38 AM   #7
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

EXACTLY!!!! That's my point. That's the point of every guy on this board that has played the real game. But, stop it. You're getting me into that debate and I wanted to avoid it.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:48 AM   #8
Rookie

My bad. Maybe I'll just go into practice mode on Pro and see if I can't get this damned "feature" to work. I think if Madden ran at the same speed as NCAA, then the Playmaker would be a more viable option. But don't get me wrong, I like the faster speed, it feels much more realistic to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »