Home

Game play ok...repair other stuff....

This is a discussion on Game play ok...repair other stuff.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Game play ok...repair other stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
The current gameplay blows the ps2 stuff out of the water. Is it perfect? Of course not, it's far from it. But even suggesting that it is close to what it was 6 years ago is a pretty unfounded statement.
Madden 09 on the ps2 allows players to play off a deep threat while playing tight coverage on the other wr. It has a play editor, and it lets you set up formation packages before you start a game. Even if you turn off strat pad, current madden still requires an extra button push to do the same defensive adjustments you can do with a simple flick of the right stick on ps2.

I'm sorry but current gameplay is slightly behind ps2 because of this and when you throw in stuff like historic teams, tournament and fantasy challenge modes that don't even exist on current systems along with superior Franchise, Superstar and minigame modes, ps2 shines as the superior game.

Like I said before, Madden needs work in every area of the game. Suggesting ps2 is inferior to current madden in any area aside from hd graphics is the unfounded statement imo.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
I'm wondering if anyone feels the same way. Having played this game for about a month now I feel that the game play is ok...not perfect mind you, but the closest it's been to old gen ever and of course it looks great. Rather than work on the animation more (trying to fix a leap or tackle or catch to look better) I'd personally settle for the same stuff next year IF they fixed and added to the presentation of the game.
How about a better pregame show, go back to the Fran Charles halftime show, better post game show, the Tony Bruno radio show for in franchise, different pregame cut scenes, a nicer superbowl pre, half and post game show. Fix the bugs in franchise mode etc.
Anyone agree. I'm not saying the game play is perfect and shouldn't be fixed but I'm finding that other stuff bothers me more at this point. I could live with it for another year if they fixed this stuff.
Oh most definitely. All I'm waiting on is some leagues deep presentation and I'll be fine. Gameplay most definitely suffices for now. However, players still have this slight weightless feel which is not as bad as previous years but its still there. There are a couple of other little quirks that annoy me every now and then, but nothing that destroys the overall game at all.

I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say Madden 12 is going to put it all together for a better cohesive experience reference gameplay/presentation. I feel that Madden 13 is going to make it all rock solid.

For the guys saying line play doesn't matter, I have to totally disagree with that. We must be playing a completely different game. I dont know what to tell you, the slider set I utilize if there is a high rated Dlineman he is a nuisance. When I face up against lineman like Ngata, his presence is known.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #19
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM
Game play is OK? Not in my book. Offensive linemen ratings don't mean much at all for starters, and that is reflected in the game play. Strength ratings are useless. These are issues for human user.

When I see Hardwick, Center for Chargers, control Ngata all day, as I did in my last game, I want to throw up. Ngata in updated roster with 99 strength and pretty sure 99 power moves against Hardwick is such a mismatch it ain't funny. As long as there are glaring issues like this and others, the game play will never be OK.
What do you want to see? Ngata finished this season with 63 tackles and 5.5 sacks. That is like less than 4 tackles a game and like .3 sacks a game. This isn't a glaring issue if you understand that in real life offensive linemen win the battle like 99% of the time.

To take it further Ngata's best statistical game this year had him make 11 combined tackles (8/3) and one sack. It is one or two games like this that get him into the Pro Bowl. What is really telling though is that in four games this season he had only 1 tackle all game and two of those games the tackles were assists.

Defensive linemen, especially in the 3-4 get handled all the time even by mediocre offensive linemen.

It's the bane of offensive linemen because they dominate all game and give up one sack or a key tackle and all of a sudden the guy who was getting his butt kicked all day long gets a Sportscenter highlight.

It is fine the way it is.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
What do you want to see? Ngata finished this season with 63 tackles and 5.5 sacks. That is like less than 4 tackles a game and like .3 sacks a game. This isn't a glaring issue if you understand that in real life offensive linemen win the battle like 99% of the time.

To take it further Ngata's best statistical game this year had him make 11 combined tackles (8/3) and one sack. It is one or two games like this that get him into the Pro Bowl. What is really telling though is that in four games this season he had only 1 tackle all game and two of those games the tackles were assists.

Defensive linemen, especially in the 3-4 get handled all the time even by mediocre offensive linemen.

It's the bane of offensive linemen because they dominate all game and give up one sack or a key tackle and all of a sudden the guy who was getting his butt kicked all day long gets a Sportscenter highlight.

Exactly. I wonder the same thing man. What are guys thinking they should be seeing.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Exactly. I wonder the same thing man. What are guys thinking they should be seeing.
I'll second all that. Again, someone wants to say that the old gen was better? I won't argue....(although things I thought the game couldn't do i find out later that it can). And again,it can be much improved. I for one though am having a blast (gotta tweak sliders a bit though- winning a little to much lately...I guess I'm getting good )
Presentation please....give me a halftime show, a superbowl pregame worth of the big game (or at least more than a regular season game). Give me Tony Bruno....yeah the commentary was lame at times but i loved hearing him talk about my team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Madden 09 on the ps2 allows players to play off a deep threat while playing tight coverage on the other wr. It has a play editor, and it lets you set up formation packages before you start a game. Even if you turn off strat pad, current madden still requires an extra button push to do the same defensive adjustments you can do with a simple flick of the right stick on ps2.

I'm sorry but current gameplay is slightly behind ps2 because of this and when you throw in stuff like historic teams, tournament and fantasy challenge modes that don't even exist on current systems along with superior Franchise, Superstar and minigame modes, ps2 shines as the superior game.

Like I said before, Madden needs work in every area of the game. Suggesting ps2 is inferior to current madden in any area aside from hd graphics is the unfounded statement imo.
And it didn't have blocking assignments, pro-tak, player momentum, etc. The old-gen games had more options, for sure, but that doesn't necessarily make it more realistic. I guess we just have different ideas of what gameplay entails. The bottom line is, the game has things that must be improved, but I'd rather see "core" things like proper protection schemes, proper zone coverage, better animations and true to life route depths before things like formation shifting and individual assignment tweaking. I believe that the problems with the game came from the fact that they tried to do too much back then, instead of getting the "core" stuff right.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #23
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff

Regarding Ngata's stats, see post number 11:

ngata doesnt have monster stats irl becuase he gets double teamed on every play. hes saying in the game a single sub par center took care of him all game.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
sacks and tackles are the only display talent, the o-lineman should be roughed up a bit trying to control a player like that. not the stand up in place blocking we get.

and the movement from trying to control a beast DT causes problems for the running game, if a DT breaks inside forcing the lineman to move with him that alone can close a hole causing a 3& 1 to get blown up, however in madden a play like that cant happen, its either a clean break for the DT or a clean block for the OL

#18 greatest EVA....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »