Home

Playoff OT Rules

This is a discussion on Playoff OT Rules within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Playoff OT Rules

Just played an online franchise game: Divisional Round of the playoffs (Broncos - me vs. Chargers) and the game goes into OT. Gus Johnson says the bit about the new NFL playoff OT rules... Chargers get the opening kickoff, but I manage to stop them on my 10 yd line. They kick the field goal and the game ends.

I read this on giantbomb a while back that said "The only way to get to the default 2009 (and before) rules is in franchise or online franchise, in the regular season naturally." - but this is the playoffs...

So... what the heck happened? Is there a way to change the outcome or do a do-over for the online franchise?

Also, if the new OT rules aren't going to be used, what's the point of the game telling everybody about it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Rookie

bonafied0034's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Playoff OT Rules

I had the exact same thing happen to me during one of the madden moments for the playoffs. They got the kickoff, marched down the field, and kicked a field goal. Next thing I know it says they won.

The only thing I can think of is that at one point they fumbled, but recovered their fumble. Maybe somehow this confused the game into thinking it wasn't their first possession. Did this scenario also happen to you?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Hmm, thats weird.

Does this rule apply to all playoffs games or just the superbowl?

I beleive the rule is that the winner of the coin toss must kick it back if they get a FG, but win out-right if they get a TD.

So it would seem since the coin-toss winner kicked a FG they should have kicked it back...

I had a thread on this a while back, not sure if it will help.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ot-fg-but.html
Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

There was no fumble or anything else that could've tricked the game into thinking there was a change in possession.

And the rule is for the playoffs and SuperBowl. So, I was wondering why they advertise the rules and makes sure everyone knows about it and then they don't do it.

I was so excited after I stopped the Chargers to a fieldgoal b/c I was going to get the ball back... and hopefully win the game and move on to the AFC Championship game... but, alas... that was not to be. It's the little things like this that just makes me so frustrated with Madden over the past few years.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Has anyone seen the new post season OT rules play out correctly?

Ever....?

Cuz I haven't, and neither has OP apparently... perhaps bugged?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
Has anyone seen the new post season OT rules play out correctly?

Ever....?

Cuz I haven't, and neither has OP apparently... perhaps bugged?
I did. My last ranked game of Madden 11. My opponent settled for a long FG and got it. Guss said how his team won and then we lined up for the kickoff. I marched down and scored the game winner.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 5

I never even expected it to work in the first place. I mean this is Madden we're talking about, right?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Well, if this is true, then this time, they mess up a fundamental aspect of football gameplay.

But I think many people have said it works properly, so maybe it's a rare glitch?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »