Home

Playing Surfaces In Madden 04

This is a discussion on Playing Surfaces In Madden 04 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6
Playing Surfaces In Madden 04

I don't like how the field gradually deteriorates over the course of the game. This never happens over the course of one game, especially not at every stadium. Maybe during the course of a season the field may get beat up like that, but not one game. They need to take this out. Also, they didn't get the Cowboys field correct. The Cowboys field should be the grass turf field. They installed the "Real Grass" synthetic field last season. Look for the New Orleans Saints to install Field Turf in the Super Dome later this season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Playing Surfaces In Madden 04

Quote:

ADW said:
I don't like how the field gradually deteriorates over the course of the game. This never happens over the course of one game, especially not at every stadium. Maybe during the course of a season the field may get beat up like that, but not one game. They need to take this out. Also, they didn't get the Cowboys field correct. The Cowboys field should be the grass turf field. They installed the "Real Grass" synthetic field last season. Look for the New Orleans Saints to install Field Turf in the Super Dome later this season.

I like how the grass deteriorates during the course of the game. And in certain spots more than others. It happens in real life but not to the extend that Madden has it.
Anyway, its still a good feature to have.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

the middle of the field really gets torn up not so much the sides in real life so i dont see a problem.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

i've played a lot of games in the rain and sometimes there is grass clumps that get kicked up and when you get tackled water splashes. i'm wondering if it puddles up at all. that would be kind of cool.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

ADW,

Don't count on seeing Field Turf in the Dome this season. I know Doug Thorton (the GM of the Superdome) has talked about it before, and that both the Dome and the Saints are interested in a new playing surface. To the best of my knowledge however, FieldTurf, which is probably the best of the "synthetic grass" fields, doesn't currently come in any sort of tray system. When it is put in, it is intended to be permanent. The Dome, because of all the events it hosts, needs a surface that can be picked up and put back down relatively quickly and cheaply. I know as far back as 3 seasons ago they were looking into this, and have been out of the loop for about a year, but I haven't heard of a synthetic grass surface that is viable as a tray system just yet. However, once that detail is worked out, then you will see the Dome switching out it's Turf. (Which is, actually, pretty good as far as turf fields go. Course, that is kinda like being the smartest kid on the short bus.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2003, 05:48 PM   #6
* d*n't b*l**v* *n g*ns.

snivlem's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

ADW said:
Also, they didn't get the Cowboys field correct. The Cowboys field should be the grass turf field. They installed the "Real Grass" synthetic field last season.

yeah I was a little dissapointed when I noticed it.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #7
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

I served as intern video coordinator once for an NFL team and part of my job duties was to obviously help getting the game and practice videos burnt to cd for the coaching staff. I've had the chance to be down on the field during a game and walk on it afterwards and the field was in just a good as shape as it was prior to kickoff. These teams put hundres of thousands of dollars a year in maintaining their playing surfaces and they never get beat up like that over one game. I'm watching the Colts\Broncos game right now in HD-TV and the field looks the same as it did in the first half. They need to get rid of that feature or at least give us the option of turning it off.

Big Fish, those are some good points about the Dome. I heard Kaurie Johnson on WWL a few weeks ago talking about it. He had mentioned that Jim Hasslett had hinted that something was in the works. The Saints have it in their new indoor practice facility and the players love it. Some other companies the Saints are investigating are Astroplay (Bills have it at their stadium) and Nexturf (Ravens play on it). Your right though, the Dome has quite a few events besides Saints and Tulane football games.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:16 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

ADW, you mind my asking what team? Spent a couple of years interning as a marketing assistant for an NFL club. Great time, just wish it actually impressed the people reading my resume NOW as much as I thought it would have.

And burnt to CD, huh? Have you seen some of the newer systems they are using now? All video gets digitized and put on a massive fileserver. Instead of needing CD's now, every coach can just go onto the desktop, query the particular set of team/plays/situations they want, and have them downloaded in a matter of minutes. It's amazing to see how the tech impacts the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »