Home

Madden NFL 12 Blog - Franchise Mode in Madden 12

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Blog - Franchise Mode in Madden 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #513
TLF
Rookie

TLF's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 12 Blog - Franchise Mode in Madden 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
Ok, first of all, Madden never updated their depth charts weekly. The only time the CPU ever updated a depth chart, in season, was when a transaction of any kind occurred on the team.

Second, consider this: Michael Vick's rating will be pretty close to Kevin Kolb's. If Kolb is still an Eagle, and say Vick plays poorly in Week 1, ok, lets make Kolb the starter in week 2. Now, if Kolb plays decent, doesn't experience a SIGNIFICANT rating change, while Vick's rating resets because his cold streak ends (He didn't play week 2), you suggest that Vick become the starter again because his rating is better?

You're basically saying Madden should play to the hot/cold streaks to an EXTREME. The real NFL doesn't do that at all.

How long did it take Ahmad Bradshaw to become the starter over Brandon Jacobs? He didn't just simply get it over ONE GAME, he out-produced Jacobs over multiple games. And even though I'm pretty sure Bradshaw fumbled a couple times and Jacobs didnt, that wasn't grounds for an immediate change at RB again because Bradshaw clearly showed he was the better back.

When Manning went on his string of horrible games, did we see Curtis Painter at any point in time? No. Why? Because the NFL doesn't work that way. And you may say Manning's rating was nowhere near close to Painters, but im pretty sure Manning wouldve experienced an extreme point swing in that case.

Show me any instance where a coach repeatedly switched guys in-and-out of a lineup because he had the "hot hand."

Honestly, I think you psyched yourself up for a complex part/feature that won't even be implied in the game, and isn't even practiced in real life.
he has a point BUT since they have these new Rules with the Franchise QB or QB of the Future etc.

they could make it soo the better QB's with that role Manning , Brady , Big Ben , Ryan , Bree's etc. cant be pulled out

it makes alot of sense for a team like the Vikings they have a new 1st round QB BUT Joe Webb had a good showing in the last two of the season when they finally let him start

so if they are in a Position battle and lets say Webb wins it but then goes 0-4 after the first 4 games which is a 4th of a 16 game season he can realize he needs a change becuz he is at .0000 , the CPU Coach will realize this and change QB's etc.

they had it like this in Madden 05-08 on PS2 and XBOX where your team is updated/evaluated every 4 weeks annd at the end of Playoff's

so why couldnt it work for this

but forgetting about the QB because it techniqually isnt needed

id like to see them switch RB's in and out because Coached DO (maybe not with QB's) switch them in and out based on who is in the zone , i dont know why a Coach at Halftime would keep Greene in if he has 12 carries and is averaging 3.3 yards a carry , give LT the ball...!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #514
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF
he has a point BUT since they have these new Rules with the Franchise QB or QB of the Future etc.

they could make it soo the better QB's with that role Manning , Brady , Big Ben , Ryan , Bree's etc. cant be pulled out

it makes alot of sense for a team like the Vikings they have a new 1st round QB BUT Joe Webb had a good showing in the last two of the season when they finally let him start

so if they are in a Position battle and lets say Webb wins it but then goes 0-4 after the first 4 games which is a 4th of a 16 game season he can realize he needs a change becuz he is at .0000 , the CPU Coach will realize this and change QB's etc.

they had it like this in Madden 05-08 on PS2 and XBOX where your team is updated/evaluated every 4 weeks annd at the end of Playoff's

so why couldnt it work for this

but forgetting about the QB because it techniqually isnt needed

id like to see them switch RB's in and out because Coached DO (maybe not with QB's) switch them in and out based on who is in the zone , i dont know why a Coach at Halftime would keep Greene in if he has 12 carries and is averaging 3.3 yards a carry , give LT the ball...!
True, but that doesn't mean LT will outproduce him, and that doesn't mean LT should be the starter just because Greene had one bad game. What if the Jets were playing the steelers? Even Chris Johnson got shut down to 66 yards by them.

I never knew if they evaluated every 4 weeks. But either way, none of that will be in, or Donny wouldn't said so. Unless they haven't given EVERY detail yet. But it think it's good enough that teams will assess and see if a guy is worth keeping ahead of the QB of the future now.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #515
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Ok, first of all, Madden never updated their depth charts weekly. The only time the CPU ever updated a depth chart, in season, was when a transaction of any kind occurred on the team.

Second, consider this: Michael Vick's rating will be pretty close to Kevin Kolb's. If Kolb is still an Eagle, and say Vick plays poorly in Week 1, ok, lets make Kolb the starter in week 2. Now, if Kolb plays decent, doesn't experience a SIGNIFICANT rating change, while Vick's rating resets because his cold streak ends (He didn't play week 2), you suggest that Vick become the starter again because his rating is better?

You're basically saying Madden should play to the hot/cold streaks to an EXTREME. The real NFL doesn't do that at all.

How long did it take Ahmad Bradshaw to become the starter over Brandon Jacobs? He didn't just simply get it over ONE GAME, he out-produced Jacobs over multiple games. And even though I'm pretty sure Bradshaw fumbled a couple times and Jacobs didnt, that wasn't grounds for an immediate change at RB again because Bradshaw clearly showed he was the better back.

When Manning went on his string of horrible games, did we see Curtis Painter at any point in time? No. Why? Because the NFL doesn't work that way. And you may say Manning's rating was nowhere near close to Painters, but im pretty sure Manning wouldve experienced an extreme point swing in that case.

Show me any instance where a coach repeatedly switched guys in-and-out of a lineup because he had the "hot hand."

Honestly, I think you psyched yourself up for a complex part/feature that won't even be implied in the game, and isn't even practiced in real life.
Like I said before, I know for a FACT it auto updated USER teams depth chart weekly but you probably are right about transactions causing the CPU team to auto update. Upon further thought, injured starters never leave the starting positions and that's why they start again when they come back. My bad.

I didn't "psych" myself up, I believed the auto update depth chart for CPU teams happened weekly and would inadvertently create position battles when paired with weekly ratings variations. I still believe the auto update depth chart will simulate position battles, in whatever instance the CPU team depth charts, auto update.

Maybe NOBODY agrees with me and that's cool because if I am right, EVERYBODY owes me a cookie!! LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #516
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
I mean, what you're saying is true, but it doesn't happen as often as weekly, or even bi-weekly. I would hate to see a situation where Week 1, Vick is starting, then by week 3, Kolb is starting, then 2 weeks later, Vick is in again, then 3 weeks later, Kolb is in again...etc, etc, all because of ratings and hot/cold streaks.

That would cause more problems than do any good.
At that point, I think if done right that's when player roles really have to factor in. I hope this system works 100%, it would really suck if all of this didn't factor in.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #517
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Well, I guess we can just agree to disagree then, no biggie.

I am surprised to see both of you say that weekly position changes rarely happen in the NFL, though. Aside from QB, which I agree it's rare but does happen, ie, Steve Spurrier, the other skill positions have this happen regularly.
Not to derail this thread, but can you think of some examples? It's definitely not regular for the Cowboys, and I'd feel comfortable suggesting it's not regular for many teams.

All the shuffling is done prior to the start of the season. Once that depth chart is created, coaches tend to ride those out except in the case of injury or obvious situations.

Think of a player like Dez Bryant: clearly a better receiver than Roy Williams, although he still has some things to learn. Think he became the starter? Nope -- he got more playing time when healthy, but Roy was the starter. Hell, our whole secondary was on "Madden cold streaks" last year -- they didn't lose their starter status.

Let's be honest: when a player gets benched, it's often the beginning of the end for that player's time on whatever team. That's the message that's sent. There is no starter-bench-starter-bench in the NFL. If you're doing that shuffling in-season, then it's an admission that you did a poor job evaluating in the offseason. What NFL coach is going to admit that? LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #518
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Like I said before, I know for a FACT it auto updated USER teams depth chart weekly but you probably are right about transactions causing the CPU team to auto update. Upon further thought, injured starters never leave the starting positions and that's why they start again when they come back. My bad.

I didn't "psych" myself up, I believed the auto update depth chart for CPU teams happened weekly and would inadvertently create position battles when paired with weekly ratings variations. I still believe the auto update depth chart will simulate position battles, in whatever instance the CPU team depth charts, auto update.

Maybe NOBODY agrees with me and that's cool because if I am right, EVERYBODY owes me a cookie!! LOL
Yeah it did auto-update USER teams, but only if you made a transaction.

For that matter, teams will not shuffle guys in and out, as evidenced by this response (from the franchise interview):

[quote]OS: Are there team-building stages in Franchise mode now? To be clear, will some teams play the veteran who is slightly better while chasing a Super Bowl, while another rebuilding team will play the rookie with the higher potential even though he may have a lower rating than some veteran?

Looman: Well, we added a lot of different things in there that sort of combine to create that type of effect I guess you could say. We added the player roles back in, which was a feature we had during the last generation. A lot of those roles affect the logic in the game. So if you have a guy on the team who has the role of “quarterback of the future,” a team won’t go into free agency or select a QB early in the draft because they’re trying to build around that QB.

He basically dodged the question at hand, answering with what will happen in franchise instead of saying "no" outright. So players won't be shuffled in-season. No big deal, teams will be smart enough to evaluate their rosters intelligently in the off-season.

But there is never a position battle unless there is A) Uncertainty [ala Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones in the beginning of the year, as they didn't know who would be better, and waited to see who would take the job, which was Charles]; or B) reason for a demotion/uncertainty being CREATED (ala the NY Jets and Shonn Greene struggling out the gate, opening the door for LT to be the starter and get the lion's share of the carries, even though it was still a committee and at times LT was outproduced by Greene, LT never let the job go once he became the starter. I also know this because LT AND Green were both on my fantasy team haha).

We're not really disagreeing. We're (Or at least I am) saying your point is a little extreme. There is shuffling, but not THAT much throughout a season.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #519
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Not to derail this thread, but can you think of some examples? It's definitely not regular for the Cowboys, and I'd feel comfortable suggesting it's not regular for many teams.

All the shuffling is done prior to the start of the season. Once that depth chart is created, coaches tend to ride those out except in the case of injury or obvious situations.

Think of a player like Dez Bryant: clearly a better receiver than Roy Williams, although he still has some things to learn. Think he became the starter? Nope -- he got more playing time when healthy, but Roy was the starter. Hell, our whole secondary was on "Madden cold streaks" last year -- they didn't lose their starter status.

Let's be honest: when a player gets benched, it's often the beginning of the end for that player's time on whatever team. That's the message that's sent. There is no starter-bench-starter-bench in the NFL. If you're doing that shuffling in-season, then it's an admission that you did a poor job evaluating in the offseason. What NFL coach is going to admit that? LOL
THIS I wish I could convey my thoughts this clearly haha. But yeah Dez Bryant is clearly better than Roy Williams. And, even after Roy fumbled a game away, they still stuck with Roy because once you bench a player, you're basically admitting that he was sucking it up, unless it's disciplinary.

And, what IF the 'Boys would've benched Roy for Dez Bryant, then 2 weeks later Roy has a good game. They're not gonna just immediately insert Roy back into the lineup.

HOWEVER, I'd would like to think if a player is going on consecutive cold streaks, say a 2-week, followed by a decent game, followed by a 1-week, then a average game, then a 3-week, and his confidence rating drops, you have to think, would the CPU recognize THAT and make necessary adjustments?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #520
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by womalee23
At that point, I think if done right that's when player roles really have to factor in. I hope this system works 100%, it would really suck if all of this didn't factor in.
The reason I didn't mention Player Roles factoring in, is because to "earn" Player Roles, those players have to meet certain rating criteria. So presumably, a "Franchise QB" labeled QB's OVR rating would be high enough that streaks and/or weekly consistency wouldn't put them at risk of losing their starting job anyway. Also, the back up QB would not see the field enough to get on a "hot" and challenge for the start.

Same thing with other positions because to get on streaks will require playing time and the less playing the time a player receives, the less of a chance of a streak.

So starting players with positive Player Roles already have superior ratings and greater risk/reward for potential streaks over bench players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »