Home

QB accuracy ratings....

This is a discussion on QB accuracy ratings.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: QB accuracy ratings....

Okay. I tested it in practice with no defense. All-Pro, default sliders. Hakeem Nicks on a streak route. At the moment the QB finished the 5-step drop and set his feet, I tapped Nicks' button. Perfect conditions for a QB to make a throw.

Eli Manning: 83 DAC
I lost count of how many times I tested but it was at least 15 times; He threw a perfect catchable ball in the back of the endzone EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Sage Rosenfels: 62 DAC
He was about 50%; 9 for 20. Every off throw went in the exact same spot of the endzone wall, at the right of the EA Sports logo, funnily enough. Looked like all such passes were 10 yards overthrown, but it's hard to be sure since they hit an invisible wall and just kind of drop down. They were accurate (they were thrown in the direction of Nicks) and they were consistent (hit the same part of the endzone wall; all looked to be the same amount overthrown [my guess is 10 yards overthrown if I wasn't throwing to the back of the endzone]).

Lawrence Tynes: 25 DAC
Err... his 22 throw power was too low so he never did get a pass outside of the middle of the endzone. What's most surprising is a 22 Throw Power is still good enough for a 40 yard pass.

Since the balls were short, Nicks adjusted his route and caught the shorter balls.

Bizarrely, every single one of Tynes' passes (I threw 20) went in the exact same spot of the endzone (right at the second white line from the right on the practice field). This is about 2-3 yards to the left of where Eli and Sage Rosenfels would hit Nicks. So compared to Eli, Tynes would throw about 7 yards shorter than Eli's pass and 2-3 yards to the left.

The thing is, he would hit Nicks in the exact same spot EVERY time.

Huh?

So 83 DAC is perfect accuracy on this 40 yard throw to the back of the endzone if no defense.
62 DAC results in a 10-yard overthrow on about half of all passes; but it's the exact same overthrow to the same spot.
25 DAC (with 22 THP) results in a ball just shy of the 83 DAC ball but it is consistent; it hits the same exact spot of the field every time.

Now what if a QB has normal THP but a 22 DAC? I took down Eli's DAC to 22. He completed 5 out of 20 and his off throws would hit the Sage Rosenfels spot on the endzone wall looking to be about 10 yards overthrown. Again, so much consistency on the off throws.

One thing I did notice fooling around was if I didn't press Nicks' button at the exact same moment each time, that consistency in the off throws would disappear. It seemed like a half count pause when modified Eli finished his drop would cause his throw steer 6 yards or so to the left. If I released just before Eli set his feet, it would go out of bounds. Very subtle differences in timing would make the throws go all over the place. However, when I made the exact same throw, 5 times he completed it, 15 times it went to the Sage Rosenfels spot on the endzone wall.

The consistency in how off the passes are is interesting; assuming the exact same timing, the off throws are off the exact same amount. It's the differences in when the throw is made that cause a wide dispersion for the low DAC QB's.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
Rookie

And apparently, if you have a low DAC QB, you want him to have a really low THP. Lawrence Tynes never did hit exactly where he was supposed to, but at least he put the ball in the same spot EVERY time whereas Eli with 22 DAC threw most of the passes 10 yards too far.

Really strange.

So it looks like DAC only tells you how likely the throw is to be on target but the moment you throw the ball determines how wide it will go.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

This is a little off-topic because I misread the OP the first time I read it but it gave me a pretty cool idea. What if when a ball is thrown in the air, the cursor where the ball lands is always where the perfect throw would land, but the deviation from the cursor is dependent upon using the lead passing mechanic and the QB's accuracy. So you can have a QB with a 75 Deep Throw Accuracy, you throw a bomb to your WR streaking down the sideline and the cursor shows up where he would catch a perfect pass thrown from your QB but the ball could be anywhere within 15 yards of the cursor and your receiver's skills determine how good he is at adjusting to where the ball will actually land. This will eliminate user catching for all but the most talented players because you wouldn't know exactly where the ball would land.

I don't know just a thought.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #20
Rookie

Gee, I'd hate to think I did all that research in practice for nothing

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »