Home

Running a 3-4 in Madden 12

This is a discussion on Running a 3-4 in Madden 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 13
Running a 3-4 in Madden 12

So, I play with the Skins. Last year they were just changing to a 3-4. They sucked at it in real life, and I did in Madden. So after a few games, I switched back to 43. But, I want to commit to the 3-4 in Madden 12. I'm coming to you guys for help. I need some general tips in how to play the 3-4. When to blitz, where the weaknesses are, where the strengths are, etc. Anyone have any useful tips for me?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Running a 3-4 in Madden 12

Honestly theres no difference between the two in Madden. You can still put small DEs as a 5 tech and theyll be just as effective.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

The 3-4 in Madden is not the 3-4 in the NFL. In the NFL, the nose tackle is a gargantuan beast who, when the system works, requires a double team and is capable of plugging up the middle. In Madden, this doesn't happen, and so the 3-4 is really just a re-positioned 4-3.

That being said, one of the strengths of the 3-4 is the 4th rusher. It's going to be a LB, and the offense isn't sure where that 4th rusher is coming from. It's up to you to mix and match that LBer. Now, in Madden, this advantage isn't so prevalent since the CPU is pretty good at picking up blitzes. That is, you don't have to worry about O-Line miscommunications, scheme mistakes, etc. It comes down to ratings.

So for Madden, your job would be to take your best blitzing LB and match him against the worst O-lineman. That's where your advantage will come from. For your "NT," getting a DT that can quickly get off a block will help simulate the double team, as he will draw one of the guards to help. This will help create one-on-one situations with your LB and the DEs.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
The 3-4 in Madden is not the 3-4 in the NFL. In the NFL, the nose tackle is a gargantuan beast who, when the system works, requires a double team and is capable of plugging up the middle. In Madden, this doesn't happen, and so the 3-4 is really just a re-positioned 4-3.

That being said, one of the strengths of the 3-4 is the 4th rusher. It's going to be a LB, and the offense isn't sure where that 4th rusher is coming from. It's up to you to mix and match that LBer. Now, in Madden, this advantage isn't so prevalent since the CPU is pretty good at picking up blitzes. That is, you don't have to worry about O-Line miscommunications, scheme mistakes, etc. It comes down to ratings.

So for Madden, your job would be to take your best blitzing LB and match him against the worst O-lineman. That's where your advantage will come from. For your "NT," getting a DT that can quickly get off a block will help simulate the double team, as he will draw one of the guards to help. This will help create one-on-one situations with your LB and the DEs.
You know something is wrong in my franchise when Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton get more sacks than James Harrison.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86

Agree 100% in real life the 3-4 defense your Nose Tackle usually is a player that will need a double team. 1 of the 2 guards will help the center out which will leave 1 player to roam on running plays. In madden the center 90% of the time is 1 on 1 with the Nose tackle with no help and usually have success which is unrealistic.

The only thing Madden 3-4 is good for is haing more Linebackers on the field and have Linebackers on the edge to stop off tackles and sweeps. But Madden has yet to get it right that's why last year when EA was putting out all the improve blocking videos i was far from impress because I didnt see no double team blocks at the LOS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10785
Agree 100% in real life the 3-4 defense your Nose Tackle usually is a player that will need a double team. 1 of the 2 guards will help the center out which will leave 1 player to roam on running plays. In madden the center 90% of the time is 1 on 1 with the Nose tackle with no help and usually have success which is unrealistic.

The only thing Madden 3-4 is good for is haing more Linebackers on the field and have Linebackers on the edge to stop off tackles and sweeps. But Madden has yet to get it right that's why last year when EA was putting out all the improve blocking videos i was far from impress because I didnt see no double team blocks at the LOS.
Depends on the running play. Not every running play calls for a double team on a nose tackle.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

the 3-4 just doesnt play right on madden they need to fix that
Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Alter Eg0's Arena

OVR: 0

I play with the Skins and I love the 3-4. IMO its the best D to run to play the pass and the run. I usually do a lot of zone blitz. Or blitz both LBs on the same side, shift the D line to which ever side the blitz is coming and have them crash to out side. It confuses the Oline. And I play as Safety to cover that part of the field. Use the Ravens D playbook. The Odd formation is the best. Landry plays close to the line. I blitz him a lot.
But the 3-4 in Madden does not play like real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »