Home

Trading down 1st overall pick?

This is a discussion on Trading down 1st overall pick? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
Rookie

cubsfan128's Arena

OVR: 4
Trading down 1st overall pick?

Hey guys, in my franchise it looks like I might be getting the 1st overall pick...
I am just wondering, what would be a realistic package of draft picks to get from trading my 1st pick? I don't wanna rip off the CPU so it would be really helpful

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Trading down 1st overall pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan128
Hey guys, in my franchise it looks like I might be getting the 1st overall pick...
I am just wondering, what would be a realistic package of draft picks to get from trading my 1st pick? I don't wanna rip off the CPU so it would be really helpful

Thanks!
how far do u wanna trade down?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
Rookie

cubsfan128's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFatGirlz4Me37
how far do u wanna trade down?
I'm not exactly sure yet because I still need to look at the draft class after all my scouting is done... however I can list a few possibilites and could you tell me what would be a good trade return?

9th overall, 16th overall, 23rd overall

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Their 1st, Future 1st, and 2nd. I wish they had more trade slots; you should really be able to get a future 2nd too.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

A good place to start is by simply using the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart that teams used for years.

Now that wisdom is a bit dated with the new CBA because the top picks are so insanely valuable now with the low contracts (in Madden they are still high though), but it gives you a great idea of the relative value of every pick in the draft.

If you want to go by the old values just plug the pick into the chart and trade away (#1 is worth 3000 points for example, #2 2600, etc).

If you want to go by current valuations then every early pick is worth at least twice as much - probably more. Consider that the top pick is SO valuable that there might not be a single player in the league that teams would instantly trade for with that pick. This is because of the incredible value more than anything.

The running theory among the better NFL minds - and honestly I think it took them longer than I would have thought - is that the #1 pick is simply the most valuable player commodity in the league. Cost effective contracts are king.

Last edited by Pandetta; 02-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Here's a link to a thread with some "House Rules" that includes a trading policy / value chart for trading picks:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...u-rebuild.html

I STILL use that system...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

I don't really think there's any rule for this one. Historically, we've seen teams trade away their entire future for the #1 pick or, just a really high pick. Just think of Ditka trading away the Saints' ENTIRE draft plus two picks the following season in order to draft Ricky Williams FIFTH overall. So, it's really a matter of need or desperation and the quality of the players available. If there is a player projected to go first overall and he is the perfect fit for a team in dire need of talent at that position and that player is like the best prospect in years at that position, then teams will give up anything. Look at Andrew Luck, he's one of the best QB prospects in like 5 years or more. If they Colts actually trade that pick away, it's been rumored that he is worth at least THREE first round picks.

On Madden, we really have no idea how good rookies are going to be unless you pick them to scout on Pro Day which unlocks all of their attributes. So, if you scout a guy who seems like an elite prospect like Calvin Johnson or Andrew Luck or...I can't even think of anyone who was so highly touted coming out of college. I would say you should get at least a first and second, plus next year's first. Also, it depends where that first round pick is. If it's a low pick, I'd take the first, second and next year's first and third. This is one of those instances where I really wish the game would give us some feedback on rookies. Like, tell us what scouts think of them.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Here's a link to a thread with some "House Rules" that includes a trading policy / value chart for trading picks:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...u-rebuild.html

I STILL use that system...
Glad to hear it still works! :-D (I am WTFitsDaveyJ)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »