Home

Defense - Interception/Ball Hawk Issue

This is a discussion on Defense - Interception/Ball Hawk Issue within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

OVR: 0
Defense - Interception/Ball Hawk Issue

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I have been playing Madden 13 since September and am just now starting to have an issue when I go for the ball hawk / interception.

On XBOX 360, there are times when I hold (Y) to go for the INT or (RB) to Deflect [Ball Hawk] after switching to my player and he will stop in his tracks and basically just stand there unless I move him or switch off of him. He does not attempt to go for the ball and, of course, this usually leads to big plays against me.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Defense - Interception/Ball Hawk Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudFuel
I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I have been playing Madden 13 since September and am just now starting to have an issue when I go for the ball hawk / interception.

On XBOX 360, there are times when I hold (Y) to go for the INT or (RB) to Deflect [Ball Hawk] after switching to my player and he will stop in his tracks and basically just stand there unless I move him or switch off of him. He does not attempt to go for the ball and, of course, this usually leads to big plays against me.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Happens to me all of the time now as well. Major killer on deep pass coverage.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Rookie

westwood's Arena

OVR: 3

ya i see it aswell, also happens with receivers.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

something is off this year with going for ints as a user. Last season I was money getting picks this year the defenders just run past the ball and let it go bye Its very frusterating.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
MVP

When I switch to user a defender he instantly goes into a squatting motion and I am unable to make the tackle or go for the defend or pick. Is this what you guys are seeing? Auto sprint and strafe off also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Another question on this subject is when you are progressing players and putting traits into "play ball in the air" if you have a great corner with great catching, is there any reason to spend an additional 10k and change him from aggressive to balanced to conservative?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAB8
When I switch to user a defender he instantly goes into a squatting motion and I am unable to make the tackle or go for the defend or pick. Is this what you guys are seeing? Auto sprint and strafe off also.
Sounds like your triggering the hitstick the air and puke animation.

Release the sticks when switching. You can keep button presure on defensive assist and strafe but you have to release the sticks the moment you switch. As soon as the switch is made you can return to the sticks but I find I have more success avoiding the hitstick unless I am absolutely sure my angle of pursuit is perfect.

As for the "ballhawk" feature I have noticed it is less effective since the patch but it's still there. Swat still works fine and I find swat to be less risky. Rarely use ballhawk unless my defender has decent catch rating.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

How do you swat? I only know of (Y) for catch and (RB) for ball hawk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtguru
Sounds like your triggering the hitstick the air and puke animation.

Release the sticks when switching. You can keep button presure on defensive assist and strafe but you have to release the sticks the moment you switch. As soon as the switch is made you can return to the sticks but I find I have more success avoiding the hitstick unless I am absolutely sure my angle of pursuit is perfect.

As for the "ballhawk" feature I have noticed it is less effective since the patch but it's still there. Swat still works fine and I find swat to be less risky. Rarely use ballhawk unless my defender has decent catch rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »